Join Strat-Talk Today

Lets chat some more about guitar picks.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by amstratnut, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I bought two teckpicks a while back, one silver with a sort of uneven surface and one blue smooth. The silvery one felt like it got stuck to the strings and wore extremely fast, much faster than any othe pick I ever tried. I made a necklace out of it instead. The blue one doesn't grab the strings and seems to wear less. I like the tone I get from it.

2. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

currently I use Dunlop Max Grip, but I I can make stupid noise with everything, even with fingers :)

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I cant get on with thin or big plectrums, I use small stubby 2 or 3mm and file them down even smaller. :D

4. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

I don't really have much of a preference.
    I use Dunlop dark greys which I think are .8 thick not real sure. Sometimes I use the tortoise ones.. I guess it just depends on what's there. I do notice though that I prefer something .7 to 1 thick.

5. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I use these. I love them. I used Fender heavy picks for a long time and then switched to Fender Mediums. About a year ago I switched to the Dunlop Ultex picks and really like them.

A738251C-8009-4A9D-87C4-E78B4ED2C8CE.jpeg

gwjensen, xland and xfabianromerox like this.
  6. xfabianromerox

xfabianromerox Strat-Talker

Metal picks?

7. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

Jazz lll's for 22 years. Just the regular little red pointy ones. They make "palming" (which is actually tucking the pick into the joint of my index finger) very easy so that I can go back and forth between finger picking with the remaining three, which is my normal method, and using a pick. Haven't looked back.

When I first discovered them (1995), there were two, Jazz 3's and Jazz 2's. The Jazz 2's were not as pointy as the 3's. A little later the black ones showed up. Didn't really care for them as much. Now I see they are offering all kinds of options. I don't think I'm going to complicate my life by experimenting now...I'm too old for that sort of nonsense.

8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

1511573642114-2140396206.jpg nylon .46 or .60 for strumming

Red Dunlop for most playing

Forged nickel pick for letting it rip :0)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    xfabianromerox likes this.
  9. otto6457

otto6457 Senior Stratmaster

I've got a couple of tins full of picks I've tried. Of course being a relatively new guitarist I'm not even sure what I should like in a pick really. Good players talk about being able to hear different tone from different picks. They all pretty much sound the same to me. I started out with the picks my teacher gives away. They were the plain old Fender mediums. They worked fine. I dropped them in my sound hole a lot, but they were perfectly fine. Then as I got to reading guitar forums it became clear that I was using the wrong pick. I bought different picks every time I ordered something on Amazon. (which is quite often) I finally moved over to the Jazz III's and got somewhat used to them. I really liked the grip on them. They seem very good on single note solo stuff. But then I noticed they didn't seem to work very well on my acoustic, or really even strumming much on my electric. I struggle changing chords, so I tend to practice that technique a bunch on my acoustic, and strumming chords with Jazz III's on my acoustic sounds pretty bad. Not sure why. So, on my acoustic I use a Tortex .70 and it is a lot easier to strum with. It also seems to sound better. Hard to explain. The sound seems more even with the Tortex if that makes sense. Does anyone else use a different pick on acoustics than they do on electric? Or am I just weird?

I tried some really thick purple Big Stubby's a while back after one of the better known YouTuber's commented that a really thick pick is a good way to train picking accuracy. It's like 4mm thick. I didn't really notice much difference in my picking accuracy Maybe I didn't use them long enough. Recently, I got some Jazz III XL's. I think they may be a good compromise. They seem to do most everything pretty well and the grip surface on them keeps them from rotating in my fingers as much. (that's a recurring problem I have, the pick keeps rotating around especially when I strum.) I might try the V-Picks if I can figure out which one is closest to the Jazz III XL's. Their web page doesn't do a very good job in explaining what size the V-Picks actually are.

Then there are times I think I should go all Mark Knopfler and forget picks all together. But I'm so rotten at finger picking I wouldn't be able to play anything at all. There are just soooo many pick choices out there it gets sort of overwhelming. I'll probably just stick with the Jazz III XL's and make them work.

10. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talker

If your Red Bear is a Heavy we have the exact same pick. It's great but I really want to try a Classic II in Medium. I think I might give myself one for Christmas if they do a run of Mediums in the next few weeks.

Oh that's cool. I was just watching old Heart videos on youtube earlier today and saw Roger Fisher with a Strat for the first time. I think it was a sunburst with a rosewood board.

Davey77 and Mouse like this.
  11. BryonScott

BryonScott Strat-Talker

My recent pick discovery: D'Addario Classic medium (0.70mm) picks.

Love them. I always used Fender mediums. They were my standard. But there is something about the rounding of these D'Addario tips. Less snagging. More speed. I seem to be reaching for them more and more.

amstratnut likes this.
  12. railroadman

railroadman Senior Stratmaster

Yup. Brass, actually. Dunlop Teckpicks.

Nice and bright- super clear and articulate. No flex at all.

They make 'em in aluminum, too, but I've not tried those. I've heard that the aluminum wears out pretty quickly.

13. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

I've been using the Dunlop Max Grip .60 and .73 for a few years. ENJOY!!!

14. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Mine is a classic II in heavy. Thickness is about 1.5mm. I love the slightly smaller than standard pick size and I love heavy picks. You might want to email them about those mediums. They tend to favor heavier gauges as they'll break if too thin. I'm not sure how often Classic II's in medium will come up.

Guitar0621 and mshivy like this.
  15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The most interesting pick fact I have is this. These picks won' let me drop them and they don't spin out on me either. My fingerprints are pretty well worn off so I was glad to find them

20171124_220737.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    amstratnut likes this.
  16. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

He gave me and everybody else in the first three rows one when I saw him.

mshivy likes this.
  17. xfabianromerox

xfabianromerox Strat-Talker

Huh, do they feel like coins? I hear a lot of greats used coins but they always feel very thick and sloppy. Plus the tiny grooves make it feel scratchy.

18. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jazz III and also Jazz III and on occasion Jazz III

amstratnut, Stormy Monday and Yaralag like this.
  19. railroadman

railroadman Senior Stratmaster

Nah. Much thinner than coins.

I have heard that Billy Gibbons uses a Mexican Peso.

20. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I just started using these. I used to think people were crazy for using these tiny picks but it turns out they are just what the doctor ordered!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.