Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Lets see your partscasters

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Jacob95amstd, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jacob95amstd

Jacob95amstd Strat-Talker

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    Ive been getting the urge to build another myself over buying a classic player 50s. I can't justify spend MIA money on a great playing guitar that I have everything besides a body and neck for. Lol I wanna see what y'all are building.

skypeace likes this.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    This is my partscaster:
    IMG_1785.JPG

3. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    What is that? A special edition mim with a new pickguard?

Jacob95amstd likes this.

4. cdwillis

cdwillis New Member!

Nov 15, 2011
    Indiana
    Since you didn't specify it had to be a stratty partscaster:

IMG_4064.JPG

Crazybayman, Nate D, skypeace and 6 others like this.

5. Jacob95amstd

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    So Gilmourish

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Indeed.

Jacob95amstd likes this.

7. jeepguy242

jeepguy242 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 19, 2017
    Winston salem
    roland g5 body from the stratosphere
    Warmoth rt hand reverse cut neck
    seymor duncan pearly gates neck humbucker
    seymore duncan whole lot o humbucker bridge

[​IMG]

8. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2016
    Chicago

9. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

Jul 10, 2014
    Australia
    here's mine, i came across a 2000 bacchus SRV body locally, it came with a lefty bridge, and i imported a classic player neck from stratosphere (one of the last before cites) and loaded some texas specials i had laying around.
    SRV-1.jpg

10. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Ok, I will play... Partscasters are my favorite game! Let's see, Avatar pic is one, then these. I think I have 3 bodies and 4 necks waiting on homes...or a hiding place from the wife as full guitars.;)
    20170222_192451.jpg 20170222_192632.jpg 20170424_205745.jpg 20170430_202715_001.jpg IMAG0638.jpg PB100472.JPG 20170514_230547.jpg IMAG0753.jpg

11. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

This is "Leontophoros", "Leon" for short; a 1959 Mary Kaye tribute.

thin blonde nitro finish
    9-hole pickguard
    SRV sig model poly finished neck (1999)
    SRV sig model electronics (2006) w/Texas Specials (neck & mid) and a 2017 Pure Vintage '59 in the bridge slot
    AVRI 5-way switch (1988 )
    gold hardware

20161231_123109.jpg

12. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

This is Grace. Started life as a Samick strat copy, bought at a pawnshop in Athens, Ohio for $40 when I was a student at OU.

The rear button was relocated higher up on the body to the curve where the forearm cut has already started. Also, the white PG had "Nancy loves Sid" in a heart and the anarchy A in pencil. Figured it was owned by a punk kid who wanted to wear his guitar way lower than the strap at the longest adjustment. :rolleyes:

PUP were potted and sounded pretty good. Loved having a tremolo equipped strat (my other one was my first electric, a '76 natural hardtail, and I was trying to play some Jimi by pushing on the neck or pressing on the strings behind the nut, Floyd's Sorrow by sliding my fingers into the Em chord and Trower's Bridge of Sighs, just wouldn't work), but I couldn't stand the pointy headstock.

I wanted a CBS era headstock with a RW board, since I already had maple. Looked for a little more than a decade for one, but putting a couple hundred dollar neck on a $40 guitar seemed foolish.

Eventually found an Indonesian Squier neck for $50 shipped from the 'bay, and jumped on it. Seller had sprayed the headstock with black lacquer (not well, which I didn't know until I got it in hand- poorly taped with overspray and orange peel. Might not have prepped the best, as when I tried to wet sand the orange peel the lacquer started to flake off. Plan is to strip it off and respray it at some point).

The black HS and white PG looked too mismatched, so I decided to get a black PG. Ordered a loaded black one from the 'bay again for $22 shipped from Hong Kong. Didn't fit, overlapped the bridge plate almost a half an inch and the PUPs sounded crappy. Emailed the seller about the fitment problem and he refunded me immediately.

Bought a proper Fender MIA 3 ply black guard and found black Lace Sensor red pups. Bought those separately, since sets were more than $150 (again, more than I wanted to spend on a $40 guitar). Ended up having 2 bridge units, so I mounted the extra one in the neck position.

Bought CTS 250K pots, and a PP volume pot to turn the neck PUP on in a Gilmour switch.

In the meantime I found a deal on a Graph Tech Ghost piezo saddle system. Did a different install since GT recommends using a PP volume pot to arm the system and sacrificing a tone pot for volume. Already had a PP volume pot for the Gilmour switch and didn't want to give up a tone pot.

Routed out for another volume pot, and put in a mini 3 way switch. With the 3 way in the middle I can use the separate volumes to blend the outputs, of course the signals go their respective effects chains and amplification (magnetics into my guitar amp, piezos into either my acoustic amp or a DI to the board).

Pics.

Early, when I was using the white knobs and switch tip from the Samick. 1 Lace Sensor red pup installed.
    [​IMG]

Different stage when I'd gotten the wrong saddles from GT. Sent me offsets, and I was trying to see if they'd work. They didn't.
    [​IMG]

Wish I'd wiped it off before snapping the pic. :rolleyes: :(

Gotten many compliments on it since its been put together.

It is a TONE MACHINE, and using the blend I can get some great sounds. Piezo with clean sounds really good, reinforces the single coil shimmer. Less piezo with some dirt rounds it out a lot, lets the note ring through the crunch.

13. Jacob95amstd

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    Do they not sell the rosewood fretboards anymore on the stratosphere?

14. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    I've had a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France

16. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

Jul 10, 2014
    Australia
    They sell them but wont ship overseas due to cites regulations, i got mine xmas time last year shipped to australia about 2 weeks before the regs became official, lucky hey.

Jacob95amstd likes this.

17. Jacob95amstd

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    I guess we're spoiled being here in the States. Lol

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK

19. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-Talker

Nov 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    upload_2017-7-5_10-14-37.png

Classic 60's Neck
    Olympic White Jimmie Vaughan Body
    Mint Pickguard
    Rose Robusta Pickups
    Bridge Tone Wiring

Nate D, Tone Deaf, Tomas83 and 2 others like this.

20. kris ford

kris ford Strat-Talker

Apr 30, 2017
    Detroit
    The last one I built (or RE-built I should say, was this MIJ '67 MIJ RI neck, on MIM body..had SSL-1s, EVERYTHING sounded like Robin Trower..(didn't help that I had a Univibe and a Marshall LOL..)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]