Let's Stay Together - Al Green

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
This tune was one of the first tunes I learned after my couple of year playing hiatus. When I returned here I posted up an audio only version and have been meaning to do a video version but never got to it until the song was mentioned a few times in a recent thread.

This is one of my favorite R&B tunes of all time and the guitar work is subdued but beautiful with an interesting chord progression. Wiki says it's Ray Russell on the guitar but I haven't found out much about him. The song rewards laying back on a beat a bit which was something I tried to do throughout.

I've been experimenting with double tracking lately so while there's only one guitar on screen, I recorded 2 guitars panned about 70% in either direction to try and spice up the sound a bit. I'm rather crap at all that stuff so I'm not sure how well it worked. The vocals are from the Karaoke-Version backing track but whoever it is channeled Al Green very well.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
I've always been a fan. When I was living in Memphis I almost went to the church he was the Pastor at just on the hope he'd sing.

That would have been epic had he done that! Thanks for popping in for a listen Nick.

I always thought it was Larry Lee member of Gypsies Suns and Rainbows that played the Black Les Paul across the stage from Jimi at Woodstock. Larry was Al Green’s long time band leader/guitarist and played on most of his tracks.

@Mouse you killing like always..

Thanks Gumbo. I'll take your word over Wiki on this one as I can't really verify. Whoever it is played some seriously pretty guitar on this.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
@Mouse
Mais! You got da GK pickup on dat guitar??? I didn’t you you were a synth driver like me…

Ha! Yeah I bought a used GR-33 some years back. From memory I thought it was the same unit you have but I could be wrong. I don't use it much these days but did break it out a bunch of songs back for a sitar part. Tracking is often an issue depending on the patch selected which I why I don't play it as much as I thought I would.

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
The old Roland Ready Strats track much better then the GK pickups you install on any guitar. Less adjustments needed also. I have 2 and used them as my Stage guitars for the last 10-12 years.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Nicely done. I enjoyed that. Great song. It reminds me of an old girl friend.

Thanks! Yeah this one has special meaning for me as well. :)

The old Roland Ready Strats track much better then the GK pickups you install on any guitar. Less adjustments needed also. I have 2 and used them as my Stage guitars for the last 10-12 years.

I'm sure that's the case as I'm always adjusting the sensitivity every time I use it. I did recall you having one of the Roland Strats but didn't realize you had two! Good for you. Those have gone up in value quite a bit if you can even find them these days.

Edit: here's one on eBay. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=384281545146

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
@Mouse
Thats a VG Strat on eBay… they are like a Line6 guitar. It can sound like anything …. But it don’t work with the synths…

I’ve modded mine with DiMarzio pickups so they never hum. Calliham vibratos so the return to the same spot and locking tuners to help keep them in tune. I have a White one and a Sunburst one…

22B45C68-B3C1-40F7-AEA8-86AF61878A66.jpeg 2B7FB2F1-9943-4400-A81E-A43F810286C0.jpeg

Opps sorry didn’t mean to hi jack your wonderful thread…

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
@Mouse
Thats a VG Strat on eBay… they are like a Line6 guitar. It can sound like anything …. But it don’t work with the synths…

I’ve modded mine with DiMarzio pickups so they never hum. Calliham vibratos so the return to the same spot and locking tuners to help keep them in tune. I have a White one and a Sunburst one…

View attachment 513763 View attachment 513764

Opps sorry didn’t mean to hi jack your wonderful thread…

Hell no! There's no such thing as hijacking my threads as I prefer they morph into conversations rather than attaboys! :thumb:

Thanks for clarification on the guitar as I just assumed they were the same given the VG has the Roland pickup. Those are some nice guitars you have and the mods take them up a notch I'm sure.

I'll take that white one off your hands when you're ready to part with it. :D

GhostJam47

Strat-O-Master
Apr 21, 2021
Seattle
howl00003.png

"In the fifth, you ass goes down"

well done as usual

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
Nicely done. I enjoyed that. Great song. It reminds me of an old girl friend.

Ha ha.. me too.. I was 17 she was 15.. I bought her the single.. I was in deep lurve! She chucked me a couple of weeks later.. I was heartbroken.. So much for 'Stay Together'.. :(

Great job Mouse.. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your interpretation.. twice in fact.. :thumb:

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
This tune was one of the first tunes I learned after my couple of year playing hiatus. When I returned here I posted up an audio only version and have been meaning to do a video version but never got to it until the song was mentioned a few times in a recent thread.

This is one of my favorite R&B tunes of all time and the guitar work is subdued but beautiful with an interesting chord progression. Wiki says it's Ray Russell on the guitar but I haven't found out much about him. The song rewards laying back on a beat a bit which was something I tried to do throughout.

I've been experimenting with double tracking lately so while there's only one guitar on screen, I recorded 2 guitars panned about 70% in either direction to try and spice up the sound a bit. I'm rather crap at all that stuff so I'm not sure how well it worked. The vocals are from the Karaoke-Version backing track but whoever it is channeled Al Green very well.

Love that song!!!!