Let's talk baritone guitars

Alex_C

Strat-Talker
Apr 19, 2021
Florida
OK,

I want a true baritone guitar. 27~30" scale length. I'm not sure if it is something that I will love so I don't want to spend more than $700 or so. I'm not interested in playing metal on it. Looking more for twang and punch.
The Squier paranormal baritone is in the running.
The Gretsch G5260 is interesting, but I haven't heard a clip that made me like the tone. Muffled is the word that comes to mind.
Danelectro baritone is also in the running.
Anything else to consider in that price range?

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
I have the Dano Longhorn 6SB. I'd go Dano.

307183-3e9349de05bcc29f9a8fffaa6b04b522.jpg

Mine is tuned E-E, but it'll do B and A just fine.

Last edited:

Clickitysplit

Strat-O-Master
May 25, 2021
Temecula, CA
As an alternative to a complete guitar, Fender makes $300 MIM Strat neck baritone conversions which get you a ~27 scale. No other changes to the body are required but nut work is required to fit the strings. I’m in the process of putting one of these together now. I have a good luthier nearby who I’ll hire to slot the nut.

Elvis v

Strat-O-Master
Apr 11, 2017
My place.
OK,

I want a true baritone guitar. 27~30" scale length. I'm not sure if it is something that I will love so I don't want to spend more than $700 or so. I'm not interested in playing metal on it. Looking more for twang and punch.
The Gretsch G5260 is interesting, but I haven't heard a clip that made me like the tone. Muffled is the word that comes to mind.
Chapman guitar so nice for the price.

191007349488008f3.jpg

chapman-guitars-ml1-modern-baritone-abyss-v2.jpg

Deafsoundguy

CERTIFIED HACK
Silver Member
Mar 6, 2020
Area 51
If you feel like splurging, the Reverend Descent and Descent W ((Wilkenson trem) are excellent. I had never even picked a baritone guitar up before, but bought one on a whim. It’s been the only guitar I’ve played for the whole last week. It sounds amazing through my Fractal Axe2. The pickups are super clear. Great way to build hand strength, since I’ve bought that guitar (and trying to play like a normal guitar up high) it seems like 10’s on my other guitars feel like 9’s now. Very happy I bought it. Highly recommend the W model with the Wilkenson trem. Sounds so cool clean and clear with lots of verb. They are about $1100 but worth it. Saw one used on Feebay a little while ago in perfect condition for $900 and free shipping.
FE11B7A2-303B-44E8-8A04-D6913E00B22F.jpeg 5B885536-90AB-4418-A908-6B3066834133.png
Edit - oh yeah, 26-3/4” scale length. It has amazing lows. You don’t need a longer scale.

Alex_C

Strat-Talker
Apr 19, 2021
Florida
As an alternative to a complete guitar, Fender makes $300 MIM Strat neck baritone conversions which get you a ~27 scale. No other changes to the body are required but nut work is required to fit the strings. I’m in the process of putting one of these together now. I have a good luthier nearby who I’ll hire to slot the nut.
I actually have a baritone conversion neck, a spare tele style body and all the hardware. I just don't haven't had the time to put it together.

Alex_C

Strat-Talker
Apr 19, 2021
Florida
If you feel like splurging, the Reverend Descent and Descent W ((Wilkenson trem) are excellent. I had never even picked a baritone guitar up before, but bought one on a whim. It’s been the only guitar I’ve played for the whole last week. It sounds amazing through my Fractal Axe2. The pickups are super clear. Great way to build hand strength, since I’ve bought that guitar (and trying to play like a normal guitar up high) it seems like 10’s on my other guitars feel like 9’s now. Very happy I bought it. Highly recommend the W model with the Wilkenson trem. Sounds so cool clean and clear with lots of verb. They are about $1100 but worth it. Saw one used on Feebay a little while ago in perfect condition for $900 and free shipping.
View attachment 494076 View attachment 494077
Edit - oh yeah, 26-3/4” scale length. It has amazing lows. You don’t need a longer scale.
I've looked at those. I need to get my hands on one to see if I like it enough to spend a $1000 on another guitar (I have way too many guitars).

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
OK,

I have a Danelectro and it’s perfect.

Alex_C

Strat-Talker
Apr 19, 2021
Florida
I've looked at those. I need to get my hands on one to see if I like it enough to spend a $1000 on another guitar (I have way too many guitars).
I tried a Revered Decent today. It felt OK, but not sure if it felt $1100 of OK. Sales guy turned me off a bit. I said I'd prefer single coils for clarity, he said something like "Humbuckers have more clarity than singles because there is no hum from the 60Hz freq. Humbuckers are clearer for the lower notes of the baritone." The 60Hz part is the only accurate portion of his statement. HB's are awesome, but not as clear as a single coil, it is simple physics.