Let's talk baritone guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Alex_C, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Strat-Talk Member

I'm going to slap my conversion neck on my Warmoth PRS style. It'll take less time than the full partscaster build I had planned.

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Strat-Talk Member

OK, I slapped the WD neck on to the Warmoth PRS style body. I was surprised how well it plays and the intonation is really close. The neck is FAT, like a baseball bat. I'm waiting on string tree's and will be changing the pickups from humbuckers to single coils. I want a snappier & punchier sound. Here is a sloppy pic.

IMG_20210722_131357660.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  3. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

What we call a “Baritone Guitar” today was called a “6 string bass” before the 1980’s. The Danelectro and the Fender were both considered and called the “6 string bass”. In the 1980’s folks started building 34” scale basses with 5 and 6 strings and wide necks and then one day everyone just started calling the others “Baritone Guitars”.

Deafsoundguy and Alex_C like this.
  4. SupStrat

SupStrat New Member!

WD also did make Deep 6 baritone conversion necks, both for Strat and for Tele heels, designed by Joe Veillette.

They used to offer both maple and rosewood fretboard options for each version and last but not least, worth mention that unlike the above, the Deep 6 headstock is quite small so the guitar will keep fitting the same hard cases / gig bags as before... Clever!

vid1900 likes this.
  5. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Just ordered a chorus pedal from them. How's their shipping?

My favorite living guitar player plays a baritone Les Paul. I've wanted one for quite a while. Those are full scale, yes? At 6'6" tall, baritone guitars look like standard sized guitars on Buckethead.

IMG_5785_c19cad6f-73ea-4c28-9e35-77202837ce34.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    vid1900 likes this.
  6. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

2 to 3 day shipping from Adorama, they ship out of NY/NJ

But because they are deeply religious Jews, they observe obscure holidays and are closed for Shabbat on Fridays - that can add to shipping times