Join Strat-Talk Today

Lets talk Tubescreamer....

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Nov 6, 2019.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

So my old TS9 from the mid 90s is giving me issues after a year after taking it to the tech.....

I would take it again to resolder the input jacks but I feel its time to give its commendations and put the old box to rest for a bit.....

It sounds so good!!! And its been with me for like 8 years strong.

Looking at replacements the usual suspects, EHX East River Drive, MXR GT OD, Maxon OD9. Way Huge Green Rhino

I was so dead set on getting an Maxon OD9 as its top choice and picking it up end week but then I got to thinking how the regular Ibanez TS9 is pretty spiffy too.

I also went back in time to the other pedals I owned before the TS9 from the mid 90s I aquired....um the DOD Juice BoX this was my first pedal not that great but was cool. The Cm2 overdrive was probably one of the best....but then I put in a wrong adapter and it fried...next the Way Huge Green Rhino, realible, flexible sturdy....then enter the TS9

This thing really had some mojo. While the CM2 is a better pedal offering practically the same tone if you want dead on with added gain and volumr the TS9s simple controls made for easy intuitive on the fly dialing in.

It also played nicer with the other pedals in chain like with my OCD amd Fuzz Face and especially the Wah pedal something the others just could not.

Playing into the TS9 I was finally able to get around some licks Ive always imagined in my head but just couldnt quite find without it.

For me it just made sense and I quickly sold my Green Rhink after I got the TS9.

So looking at a replacement the OD9, EHX East River Drive...or the Ibanez Mini 808.....was thinking of getting that one cauze I did a shoot out with it and rhe MaxonOD9, MaxonOD808, Ibanez TS9 and Ibanez 808 RI and I have to say money aside strictly tone the mini held up and I actually liked it just a bit more than the Ibanez TS9 and the Ibanez 808 RI.......

I ended up digging the Maxon OD808 the most and took that home to add to the TS9 but was thinking of coming back someday for the mini 808. The TS9 was great too and it was pretty much 95% identical to the tones I get off my current one.

So after much tought actually thinking of getting the Ibanez current production TS9.....

Um why this one over the Maxon OD9 or tje Ibanez Mini you may ask?

It sounded great and got the job done and after thinking about it the 5% difference in tone between it and my old ass 20 year old TS9 has to do with the parts just getting old over time....I love my old TS9 and its got that worn mojo....but its to damn old now and its time to replace it with a new one that is practically the same in every way

Also another reason is I started thinking why did I get rid of the Green Rhino or did not pursue another Cm2....simple the TS9 got me the bare knuckle tone I wanted, was easier to dial in, sounds fantastic and well just provided the Classic TS tones the others didnt nail 100%.

Aside from that the reason I am going Ibanez and not Maxon in this case is the impedence and ohm contradicting each other with so many 7 pedals in the chain the Buffer on the TS9 helps all the pedals play well together.

I tried once taking it out of the chain in between the wah and fuzz and putting in an OCD for example or a Fulldrive.....they wouldnt work well with the other pedals. And thinking about it not even the Maxon OD9 has a buffer.

Only reason I got the Maxon Od808 even though it was truebypass is because I already have the TS9 as buffeer in the chain to rectify any impedance mismatch the OD808 may have caused....but if I replace my TS9 with a true bypass TS like the TS mini or OD9 Maxon I am afraid they wont play nice with the other pedals because they are true bypass....especially with my fuzz and especially with wah when both are active.....

The Buffer in the TS9 solves all that ohm mismatching and makes all my pedals work and play well together with no ossiclation or splatter.

So just going Ibanez TS9 current production, played a friends he let me borrow, sounds 95% the same as the one I got and the function and tone is distinctly and inherently TS.

The new ones have the JRC chip and the old one I have now has the old Toshiba so that has a role to play too, looking at gut shot pics they are 100% identical except for the JRC chip vs the Toshiba.....cant say either sounds bad but I am partial to the older Toshiba as I have been playing it for 6 years plus.

Either way, ganna go in Friday and pick one up or just order one through CME, Reverb or GC online.

They are pretty good, simple, function well with other pedals, sound great and get the job done. Classic reliable authentic TS tone at a great price.

But to others who dont have a whole lot of pedals to worry about playing nice together definately recomend the TS mini OD or Maxon Od808 or OD9.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Shorter version- you’re replacing your ts9 with a ts9.

3. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

Grammarly to the rescue!
    :p

Miotch, abnormaltoy, Morf2540 and 3 others like this.
  4. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Analogman.com get a modded one.

abnormaltoy and EC Strat-boy like this.
  5. The-Kid

Pretty much...

I was going to go Maxon OD9 or Ibanez mini.....

But they are true bypass and with my pedals such as the fuzz and wah having issues with other pedals the TS9s buffer solves all that ossiclation and splatter one can get from mismatching pedals ohms.

But yeah essentially replacing my old Ibanez/Maxon TS9 with the now purely made Ibanez current production TS9.

Same pedal....they do sound slightly different would say the older one has more mids and the newer one has a bit less mids but overall still provide that mid hump for the magic mojo.....also dont forget the magic chips!!!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. The-Kid

Nope.....

As said if I got a moded one it would be True bypass.....and that aint no bueno already got enough true bypass pedals and adding another one and taking out a buffered one will just cause more problems.

Also no need to modify with Analogman Snakeoil as this one already has the magic JRC chip.

What I am after is pure, authentic, un altered, no nonsense, no BS TS9 tone. And while there are many "better" TS pedals out there...none quite do it like the TS9 IMO for me.

The Maxon OD808 is awesome too and true bypass but the only reason I can tolerate it in the chain is because the TS9 buffer is there to supplement it and help rectify its signal and ohms to play nice with the rest of the chain.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

@The-Kid

Is this a pic of you from the mid 90s?
    :whistling::sneaky::p
    11392277-little-boy-with-electric-guitar-on-white-background.jpg

8. The-Kid

abnormaltoy and heltershelton like this.
  9. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

An interesting viewpoint from an industry pro...

abnormaltoy, CigBurn and The-Kid like this.
  10. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

11. The-Kid

Theres a TV repair dude accross the street from me that can solder the thing but I took it there once already too. Then it failed after 6 months and took it in to GC a year later again because of a power supply issue. It is super old so its about that time.

Cost me 5 bucks to take in to solder with repair man dude...will do but will also get a new TS9 for the board as a permanent replacement just to not have any reaccuring issues on my board.

Glad they still make them like they used.

They sure do....

The land of Gold where the old is like new and the new is like old.

Ibanez TS9.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

I like the ts9, however they make the ac30 too midrangy.
    Id like to try one with the drri

13. The-Kid

Yeah they dont work for everything or for everyone but I find my self needing it for almost every application on any amp I feel they sound good.

But its different for everyone.

Me and the TS9.
    @heltershelton

heltershelton likes this.
  14. The-Kid

Yeah reading further I find that the Maxon Od808 is actually buffer so it should play nice on its own or if I put a true bypass pedal before it. Apparently mechanically its the same as my Old TS9.....but they sound so damn different...which the guy explains why.

So if its buffer....and it can do what the TS9 is doing right now rectifiying ohms in the chain.

I dont have to really care if the pedal I get to replace my old TS9 is true bypass or not because the Maxon OD808 achieves the same function....so might go Ibanez Mini.

Save some cash get some beers.

Here here.

Good fellow.

15. The-Kid

Damn it I just cant resist....

Might as well just stick to the Maxon OD9 and spend more money....since the OD808 is buffer it should rectify all the ohms in the chain before and after. Plus the MXR Sugar drive is right after my wah in buffer mode so those two should be enough in my drive section to buffer the chain along with the Boss pedals at the end of the chain.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

17. The-Kid

Also after going back and forth between my TS9 and OD808 I must say they are virtually indistinguishable.

Thanks for point this out, the OD808 may be a bit tighter and rhe TS9 a bit more airy but overall 99% identical in tone and reaction.

I just like the way they both sound stacked.

Stacked TS pedals are a godly tone.

18. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

TS Mini

/thread

The-Kid likes this.
  19. The-Kid

Honestly its pretty damn good.

Havent purchased yet but wouldnt be surprised if its one I choose. Really great sound.

20. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talker

Shame you not local. I would fix it for you for free

The-Kid and abnormaltoy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.