Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Lighting Q

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Stormy Monday, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Fa-ra-ra-ra-raaa, ra ra ra raa! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Seems like we are getting closer to actually build a house with a music room.

In "Home Recording Studio" by Rod Gervais he recommends against florescent lighting and recommends LED. I understand both rationales. Does this jibe with experience here?

gracias

2. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I know florescent lights cause magnetic fields that will cause interference in sensitive electronics.

A well put together studio's goal should be to limit interference, be it noise from outside or electric noise.

So, in addition to being way more energy efficient LED's are the way to go. Plus they're available in cool colors, and small enough to make accent lighting really easy! Purple behind the guitar amps, red behind the drums, blue by the keys, etc.

TheDuck likes this.

3. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    I am speaking from the maintenance end. I am replacing fluorescent fixtures with led all the time. Replacing fluorescent ballasts in some lights can cost as much as new fixtures, and the bulbs get weaker over time. The led's are more expensive, but the light they put out is brighter and better compared. I imagine the interference from fluorescent ballasts is the reason for the choice. Not to mention the energy savings.

4. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    I was using small halogen and LED bulbs on the boat. The LEDs were more to manage energy consumption.

5. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Fluorescent light is typically green - who wants to have that in a creative space?

As halogen and fluorescent lights die around my place led are going in.

6. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    Green how?

7. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    It’s missing a lot of magenta ( a component of red) in the the spectrum - which leaves blue and yellow = green.

If you have a digital camera that lets you set white balance, set it to “daylight” and shoot under most fluorescent light you get an ugly green cast. Our eyes are really marvellous at adapting to different conditions so we don’t really notice it unless we’re aware of it.

As a photographer I occasionally run into situations where there is flash or window light in the same picture as fluorescent and causes issues.

And of course ever since learning this, I see people looking sickly in most offices. (It’s not just from the job )

There are “daylight” bulbs that are more blue than green - but most places don’t use them.

BTW - most incandescent and ‘soft white’ led bulbs are actually slightly orange / red and very flattering to people’s complexions.

8. Stormy Monday

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    That's what I thought. Thanks