Join Strat-Talk Today

Line 6 POD HD500x Floor or Line 6 POD PRO-X Rack?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by jpjr50, Jul 13, 2016.

1. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

The HD500X is the foot style board with expression / volume pedal for $499. Used $329-$450.
    The POD PRO-X is a rack style for $699. Used $499-$625.

I have a Home Studio and I'm not a fan of Amp heads / Pedals / Cabs, etc. I like to hit a preset and play. If I'm recording several parts presets are just easier for me.

Does anyone have experience with either of these two units.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both have the following:

POD HD500X AND PRO X
    INCLUDE HD AMPS BASED ON** THE AMPS LISTED BELOW.

Bogner® Uberschall Divided by 13 JRT 9/15
    Dr. Z® Route 66
    ENGL® Fireball 100
    Fender® Bassman® ("Normal" channel)
    Fender® Bassman® ("Bright" channel)
    Fender® Blackface Deluxe Reverb® ("Normal" channel)
    Fender® Blackface Deluxe Reverb® ("Vibrato" channel)
    Fender® Twin Reverb®
    (“Normal” channel with “Bright” switch off)
    Fender® Twin Reverb®
    ("Vibrato" channel with “Bright” switch on)
    Gibson® EH-185
    Hiwatt® Custom 100 (DR103) Line 6 Doom
    Line 6 Epic
    Line 6 Elektrik
    Marshall® JCM-800 (2204)
    Marshall® JTM-45 MkII ("Bright" channel)
    Marshall® JTM-45 MkII ("Normal" channel)
    Marshall® “Plexi” 1959 Super Lead ("Normal" channel) Marshall® “Plexi” 1959 Super Lead ("Bright" channel) Mesa/Boogie® Dual Rectifier®
    Park 75 ("Bright" channel)
    Park 75 ("Normal" channel)
    Soldano® SLO100(“Clean”)
    Soldano® SLO100 (“Crunch”)
    Soldano® SLO100 (“Overdrive”)
    Supro® S6616
    Vox® AC-15
    Vox® AC-30 (Top Boost)
    Ampeg® B-15NF Portaflex®

DYNAMICS
    Noise Gate
    Hard Gate
    Tube Comp
    Red Comp
    Blue Comp
    Vetta Comp
    Boost Comp

DISTORTION
    Tube Drive
    Screamer
    Overdrive
    Classic Dist
    Heavy Dist
    Color Drive
    Buzz Saw
    Facial Fuzz
    Jumbo Fuzz
    Fuzz Pi
    Jet Fuzz
    Line 6 Drive
    Line 6 Distortion
    Sub Octave Fuzz
    Octave Fuzz

PITCH/MOD
    Bass Octaver
    Pitch Glide
    Smart Harmony
    Pattern Tremolo
    Panner
    Bias Tremolo
    Opto Tremolo
    Script Phase
    Panned Phaser
    Barberpole Phaser
    Dual Phaser
    U-Vibe
    Phaser
    Pitch Vibrato
    Dimension
    Analog Chorus
    Tri Chorus
    Analog Flanger
    Jet Flanger
    AC Flanger
    80A Flanger
    Frequency Shifter
    Ring Modulator
    Rotary Drum
    Rotary Drum+Horn

FILTER
    Voice Box
    V-Tron
    Q Filter
    Vocoder
    Seeker
    Obi Wah
    Tron Up/Down
    Throbber
    Slow Filter
    Spin Cycle
    Comet Trails
    Octisynth
    Synth O Matic
    Attack Synth
    Synth String
    Growler

EQ
    Graphic EQ
    Parametric EQ
    Studio EQ
    4 Band Shift EQ
    Mid Focus EQ
    Vintage Pre

DELAY
    Ping Pong
    Dynamic Delay
    Stereo Delay
    Digital Delay
    Dig Delay w/ Mod Reverse
    Lo Res Delay
    Tube Echo
    Tape Echo
    Sweep Echo
    Echo Platter
    Analog W/Mod
    Analog Echo
    Auto-Volume Echo
    Multi-Head

WAH/VOL
    Fassel
    Weeper
    Custom Chrome
    Vetta Wah
    Throaty
    Conductor
    Colorful
    Volume
    Pan

REVERB
    Reverb
    Plate
    Room
    Chamber
    Hall
    Echo
    Tile Cave
    Ducking
    Octo
    Spring
    ‘63 Spring
    Particle Verb

... and more!

Nick Evans likes this.
  2. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

If you are a heavy effects user, you might want to research a bit before commiting to a HD series processor.

Their CPU has a habit of hitting its limits prematurely when using dual amp / effects heavy patches.

They are silimar units sound wise. Routing and the 500s "stomp box" switching are a couple of major differences.

But of course, there are many others too.

Also be aware that Line 6 doesnt include all the models and effects in their products. You have to purchase "packs" to unlock many of the units options.

3. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

i have the hd 500x and i pretty much hate it. i hate it because i cant figure out how to use it properly.....there is a HUGE learning curve. for me it would take a year of messing with it to know it completely. the sounds that come out of it are pretty good, however. it really can do it all if you know what you are doing. mine is sitting in a bag wondering why i stopped messing with it.

s5tuart likes this.
  4. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

I've been doing my research and it seems the learning curve is quite large.

If you want to sell it hit me up. I'll give it a go.

5. Jason99

Jason99 Senior Stratmaster

This is exactly why I gave mine away. It's a little easier connecting it to a computer and using the edit software to customize the settings. Having to use the screen with all the buttons on the unit is a nightmare. There are 6 different manuals to reference on how to use the thing, the instructions are written to induce migraines.

heltershelton likes this.
  6. heltershelton

ive actually been thinking about selling it, but havent made my mind up yet. i will definately let you know.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  7. Davesband

Davesband Senior Stratmaster

I've played the pod hd500 and 500x for almost ten years, and know it pretty well.
    I can get very decent sounds out of it but Heltershelton is completely right about the huge learning curve.
    It can be overwhelming, it took me more than a year to really get to know it.
    But when you know how to use it it's pretty good.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

When I find myself interested in multi-units like this the first thing I do is look up the manual online - if my brain turns to mush within the first page or two I know that it's not for me.

AAT65 and Davesband like this.
  9. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

I guess it depends on how you process info and if you've dealt with multi units similar before. My buddy purchased an HD500 recently and after watching a few videos I was setting up patches for him. You can dig much deeper but to start getting sounds isn't difficult, IMO. I do have experience with other Line 6 gear.

From what I understand the 500x is much better than the 500 with processing limits (which we never had an issue with). From what I've seen, once you start hitting those limits it is doing a lot. Everything has limits.

To me the pro x isn't so much better that the price is justified. After buying the floorboard to go with it it is like $400 more package. Used HD500Xs sell for good prices. There are a lot of good videos of people setting up patches and generally playing with the HD500X that can help give you an idea if it is right for you. I'd like to get one myself.

10. bluenote23

bluenote23 Strat-Talker

If you are concerned about the learning curve, I would check out the Avid Digidesign Eleven Rack. It's an older unit now but it was like a poor man's Axe FX when it came out. I think it sounds really good (I used to have a POD XT and there was no comparison between the two for sound and feel). You can probably pick one up used in the $400 range.

It has controls like an amp, that is real knobs that you turn for volume and tone and drive or whatever. So the knobs, in conjunction with the fairly large LED display, looks like a typical amp face. There are a limited number of amp sims and speaker sims and effects but I only used a couple of Fender sims, a Matchless sim, a couple of Marshalls and an AC30. There are Bogners and Soldanos if you need high gain.

The programming is pretty simple. You pick an amp sim and then a speaker sim. You adjust your pre and volume and tone like you would with an amp. Add some effects and save. It's not rocket science.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  11. heltershelton

man, i puled the thing out of the bag to mess with it and it took me a friggin hour to figure out how to make the wah pedal work. did all the stuff it said to do in the advanced manual and nothing. kept digging and found out i had somehow done a global reset so i had to recalibrate the pedal. so finally got that working. i can program patches and stuff, and assign things to the footswitches....i just dont understand all that underlying stuff in there, like 136k or 247k or whatever all that is. but i guess i know enough to make some half ass sounds to get by. i guess ill be keeping it just in case my amp melts and i have to use it for a backup.

12. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Shelton, YouTube will show you a lot. Line 6 posts YouTube videos for the 500X.

Well I scored myself a 500X directly from Line 6. It's a B stock but they still gave me the warranty and free shipping. It cost me $125 less than a new one.

It will arrive today (48 hour shipping) on the brown truck.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

13. heltershelton

i did that and ive learned some things. i also have a bunch of patches downloaded into my laptop....what ive been doing is opening them up in the line 6 software and looking at each component then programming each thing into the line 6 without it being hooked up to the computer. that alone has helped me to understand it better. ive been getting some great sounds out of it and im starting to like it. i used it on that last improv challenge.....the metal one. it was a patch i programmed myself. i think you will really like it a lot.

14. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

They say do it all on your computer instead of the LED screen so yeah you're on the right track.

After watching a bunch of videos I'm shocked what this thing can do. First I didn't know it had an audio interface built it for recording. I have a Focusrite in my studio but if I didn't have this I could record directly from the 500X.

I watched the Line 6 video on YT of the making of Jimmy Page tone patch and my mind was blown with how it was done. It sounded exactly like the recorded version. The unit was capable of multiple notes 8ths and 16ths, it's crazy.

15. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

One of the things I check for with multi FX is how they react to the guitar's volume knob on distorted sounds. Does it clean up like real gear. I found the 500X OK but not great at that but something cool with the unit is being able to assign the expression pedal to any parameter. So you could assign it to the gain of a given amp or effect and allow you to get a more accurate representation of that volume knob clean up on the fly. At least I think you can do that.

16. heltershelton

yes you can do that.....you can also assign multiple effects to the pedal, along with the volume....for instance you could have the gain, distortion, delay....whatever...set lower in the heel position and as you move it towards the toe position you could have the gain get heavier and the delay and all that stuff.

17. heltershelton

i wanted to learn how to program it without the computer first in case i ever needed to program something on the fly and didnt have a laptop with me. i was only using the thing on the computer for reference.

18. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

You guys take this on gigs?

I just have a home studio so it'll never leave but in case I wanted to I have an Orange head / Panama Cab.

For now I'll use it through my PreSonus monitors.

19. Stratman54

Stratman54 Strat-Talker

I have used both the PODXT and the HD500x. Still use the HD. The learning curve is much easier if you take advantage of the Line6 software. I have a much easier time developing tones if I can visually see what is going on. By using the Line6 editor you can easily make changes to your amps, cabs and effects chain. I agree that you can run out of room though.

20. Stratman54

Stratman54 Strat-Talker

However, I have been able to generate some killer patches. I use an exp1 pedal as my volume and the onboard pedal for effects changes. I have one patch setup to use the volume and way with the same pedal to give it a more pedal steel feel. You can set minimum and maximum pedal parameters as well.

I have been very happy with this pedal, even with it's limitations. If you are patient with it and willing to explore a bit, you may like it too.

Line6 has a great resource site too, with gobs of patches to use as starting points.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.