Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Little or Large headstock.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by garyhoos1, Nov 10, 2017.

1. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Nothing wrong with big, I like both. More worried about what's going on between the headstock and the pickups. That's the hard part

IMG_1069.JPG

Willie D, Stratapotamus and Ebidis like this.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Best answer yet. :thumb:

Willie D likes this.

3. Stratapotamus

Stratapotamus Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2012
    WV
    I have both but prefer large with bullets all day.

4. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Strat-Talker

Jul 1, 2015
    Las Vegas, NV
    I like them both just fine.

5. 79 Strat

79 Strat New Member!

Jul 29, 2017
    US

6. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    My wife told me size doesn't matter. So one of my guitars is a Parker with their original headstock design. (look up the headstock and you'll get it).

The other is an American standard. I like the big headstock personally but when I found out that they did it so they could make the logo larger it really killed it for me.

7. VanWhelan

VanWhelan Strat-Talk Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Roswell, GA, USA
    I like them all, but my preference is for the original headstocks from the 50s, up to about '65, like both original and transition logo.

8. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I have a rosewood board Olympic White 1970 Stratocaster with 4 bolt plate and no bullet. My first Stratocaster, too. I think Leo had input on the size of the headstock, and I love its lacquered face, which is checking now; the rest of the guitar is finished in poly.

The guitar is my favorite to look at. I find the 1990 Strat Ultra small head to be meh, like it's holding back. Not until you play 'em do you realize the differences, and they are starkly different in build, so much better on the newer instrument. But I never tire of looking at a magical 1970 instrument, that is like a Hendrixian doppelganger to my delight.

9. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    This one and that's it: :p

[​IMG]

10. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2013
    USA
    Large, small ones always feel off to me.

11. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    And I say bring them back. Enough with these changes and new-fangled technology. Gasoline?. Electric starters? Fuel injection?? Bah! It's all for wimps!! ..............:D:D

Ebidis and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

12. Greg

Greg Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    Atlanta area

13. Greg

Greg Strat-Talker

Apr 25, 2017
    Atlanta area
    late 60

1961 slab board strat 049.JPG

dogletnoir likes this.

14. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    Little I hate the shark fin on my Starcaster Image1511720906.243236.jpg

simoncroft likes this.

15. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I came across it and I have a confession to make. At one time I was seriously interested in his guitars... but I couldn't get past that headstock. No-one can possibly think that is the best design they could come up with! Did he call in his kids and say: "Daddy wants you to help him design a guitar" then realize those little smiling faces could turn all sad if he didn't actually use what they'd drawn?

The silly thing is, I have a James Tyler Variax and it's a really nicely designed guitar. It's also very nicely made, albeit to a price and in the Far East. I expect his top line instruments are brilliant!

When Leo Fender left the company he founded, he obviously could not use the classic Strat head shape any more, but he still managed to come up with a tasteful alternative, based on artistically pleasing curves.

Oh sorry. Rant over. Put me down for 'small' please. Although Jimi played 'em, and I've owned a CBS-era Strat too (to somewhat less effect...) I prefer the original design.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

16. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I think mine was a '78. Natural body, black plastic and a neck like half a baseball bat. For me, the neck was the best bit! :thumb:

Thrup'ny Bit and Nate D like this.

17. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    It’s not the size of the headstock that matters... it’s how you use it. :)

18. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    Haha no I agree I've tried some of his guitars but can't for the life of me understand or accept the headstock design! He makes great guitars but I can't unfortunately see myself with one of his guitars, often wondered the same thought as you, how did they come up with this? If this was their best effort I'm intrigued to see the worst idea they had pitched.

Does the one you have also have the motherboard like the regular Variax models? I remember when Variax was coming in, I was excited about it but once I tried one I couldn't understand why they chose to go with heavy Ash bodies. Like the idea though!

I once fell for one of these, but again issues with the headstock.
    [​IMG]

simoncroft likes this.

19. simoncroft

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I has the full Variax electronics, battery in the back and all, but I've never taken it apart. It never was going to be a super-light guitar though. Overall, not a problem though. It's quite useful to have a 12-string on tap that isn't a complete orphan to play. :sneaky:

Thrup'ny Bit and Guy Named Sue like this.

20. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    That looks like an Early 60 with slab board and spaghetti logo. How come you string it that way?