Loaded Pickguard

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by slh2536, Jan 1, 2021.

1. slh2536

slh2536 New Member!

Thinking of changing my pickguard with a new loaded pickguard. Not sure what they mean saying 3ply and 8 hole. Also looking for a loaded pickup that the pickups don't have the two middle magnets that stick up. That causes my G string to be much louder that my B. Need help picking a loaded pick guard.

2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, welcome @slh2536 !

On pickguards, an 8 hole means the pickguard has that number of mounting screws/body holes
    An 8 hole pickguard is usually for a 50's reissue Strat.

An 11 hole is modern number of mounting screws.
    and
    3 ply means 3 layers of material in the pickguard to reduce its flexing or warping over time.

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Just to add to stevierayfan91’s excellent reply, you can normally a tell three ply guard because you will see the three plies at the edges, black / white / black for example

Blackmore Fan and slh2536 like this.
  4. slh2536

slh2536 New Member!

What would I be looking for in a loaded pick guard? I would like to keep towards the original pick guard but I see prices from $20 all the way up to $300 Why would I see such a range? I would also like the pickups flat across the board. No off setting posts. Is there a type of strat pickup I would be looking for? Model or year range. Also, has anyone tried noiseless and do they work?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  5. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

The wide range in prices comes from the pickups. You can spend from $20 up well toward $500 on pickups (or more, if you want vintage ones). I'd say the first step is selecting which pickups you want for your guitar. What kind of tone are you after, what do you have now and what do you like/dislike about them?

6. slh2536

slh2536 New Member!

I ended up buying Yosemite loaded pick guard. After receiving the pick guard. It came with no external wires for connections. No wiring diagram. Is there a Strat wiring diagram I could look up to make the right connections to the right plugin and pods?

7. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talker

Congrats, good choice with the Yosemites!
    Solder off the two wires at the volume pot, which go to the output jack. Keep in mind which one of the was on the pot cover and which one was in the lug. There should also a grounding wire from the trem claw or bridge to the pot cover.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  8. slh2536

slh2536 New Member!

Thanks for the wiring tips...