Local mountain lion mom don’t play!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratSounds, Oct 16, 2020.

1. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Disclosures first. This kid drops many, many f-bombs and I can’t blame him given the situation he gets himself into, so if you have tender ears, you may want to plug them before watching:D. This was shot very recently about 30 miles south of my house in the same mountain range.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGNM6qUnWqG/?igshid=o3q3nvkhfbg4

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  2. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

A beautiful fall day turns potentially deadly when this kid approaches two mountain lion kittens. Note to self...don’t ever do that!!! Momma is not playing around!!! I think about lions often when mountain biking here because I know they are watching, but I’ve never seen one from the trail, only a late night road crossing years ago, and after watching this, I think I’m ok with that!

In my opinion, the kid makes two major mistakes. He approaches the kittens instead of immediately backing the hell out of there, and then he waits waaay too long to throw a rock like he does at the end. Unlike grizzly bears, an aggressive black bear or mountain lion should be met with aggression according to most experts. All bets are kind of off when you’re dealing with a mom protecting babies though, very unpredictable. In my opinion though, he waited too long to use his opposable primate thumbs and throw a rock. Terrifying encounter regardless, she is all business!!!

3. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Pretty sure it’s been posted, I don’t need the sound, so no biggie.
    Came close to being a classic case of Darwin.
    Don’t mess with animals at the top of the food chain that think you are food.

4. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

The last thing I'd be doing is occupying one hand with a phone when being stalked by a lion for the sake of filming it and getting some 'likes'

If he's using a Go Pro or something then fair enough but it looks like phone footage.

5. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Hes more concerned with his video than living. Mountain lions don't speak english.
    Scream louder and throw rocks or pick up a big stick and put away the phone.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

if you see bear cubs or wild cat kittens you need to hope mom does not see you or they get primal and stuff.

and never turn your back to a big cat or it will know you are prey by default!

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

Exactly. If I came across some cute kittens in the wilderness I wouldn't stand around getting my cell phone out, I'd high tail it away! I was cycling in western NC a couple years ago and passed a bear cub at the side of the road, not seeing it until I was close. I kept riding at a good pace and watched for the cub's mother until I was far away.

On the way back there was a small crowd of people with cameras milling around down from the road near the river, so I knew the cub was still nearby. I was less scared that time, since I figured there were a lot of others that were going to get mauled before I was.

Jerseystratfiend likes this.
  8. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

I was rooting for the cat .

9. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

It's things like this that make me appreciate that the deadliest thing in the countryside in UK is probably a deer or a cow (excluding farmers!)

RadioFM74 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  10. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Mountain Lions are all over the foothills around here they having been around the neighborhood far longer than we have. If you're hiking or biking on open space trails often enough there's a reasonable chance of an encounter.

There are all kinds of guides published and posted with advice on what to do should you encounter one. Not once have I ever read one suggesting taking out one's cell phone to capture a live video of your experience. :rolleyes:

The guys is an idiot and at least a potential Darwin Award nominee.

circles likes this.
  11. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

The cat was displaying threats to scare him off, not hunting. If it had been stalking him, he wouldn't have had time to get out the phone. But also, he weighs at least triple what that cat does, and has opposable thumbs. In a wrestling match he'd still have the advantage--assuming he put the damn phone down.

Dibbs likes this.
  12. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

Laundry issues...

soulman969 and The Strat Dude like this.
  13. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

That video could have ended very differently.

soulman969 and stratnutz like this.
  14. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I like it where halfway through he says..."Where is my gun?"

Good question nitwit. Another good one is why would you hike in an area known to be frequented by mountain lions without it?

soulman969 likes this.
  15. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You obviously have never dealt with a pi$$ed off 10 lbs cat, 18 lighting fast razor sharp claws and 4 fangs. I can just imagine a full grown mountain lion who kills for a living.
    My money is on the cat

tery, soulman969 and circles like this.
  16. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

im glad he didnt shoot the cat.
    i wouldnt shoot it either, but i would make some noise and scare it off.
    ive actually been chased by one before a long time ago. the dogs scared it off when it got too close.

tery likes this.
  17. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

He'd get cut up bad, but as long as he kept the teeth away from his neck any injuries would be superficial. On the other hand, a cat (even a pretty big one) has a fairly fragile spine and vulnerable leg joints. When you're dealing with an angry housecat you're trying not to hurt it. That's a big difference.

18. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

Well, anybody who has a barn cat knows this cat has this guy, by 20 very large, razor sharp claws.

If that cat had wanted him, he would have opened up his carotid artery, about the first 15 seconds in, and would have been dragging him home, as dinner. We would have heard some REAL screaming and cussing, then, for about 20 seconds.

The Strat Dude likes this.
  19. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

Hahahahahaha

No.

An adult mountain lion can and will kill a full grown man easily. They usually choose easier targets, though.

20. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-O-Master

This is why I always hike with a ball of string.