Lockdown boosts sales of Fender

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Wound_Up, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

Wow! Good for them!

Lockdown boosts sales of Fender:

“I would never have predicted that we would be looking at having a record year,” said Andy Mooney, the chief executive of Fender Musical Instruments Corporation, the Los Angeles-based guitar giant that has equipped Rock & Roll Hall of Famers since Buddy Holly strapped on a 1954 sunburst Fender Stratocaster back in the tail-fin 1950s.

“We’ve broken so many records,” Mr. Mooney said. “It will be the biggest year of sales volume in Fender history, record days of double-digit growth, e-commerce sales and beginner gear sales. I never would have thought we would be where we are today if you asked me back in March.”

I'd bet a lot of people bought their first guitar because of the 3 free months of Fender Play they gave away. I purchased a year subscription for 75% off when my 3 months expired. For 2 reasons: to continue learning to play and to get that 10% off gear at Fender.com The $20 I paid was well worth the money I'll save throughout the year. I've probably saved at least $20 on stuff already so it's already paid for itself in the first month.

Glad to see they're having record sales. Wonder if Gibson or other guitar mfgs are seeing the same increase.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Good. I want to see them do well, even if the extenuating circumstances are less than optimal.

Sarnodude, Chont, CalicoSkies and 9 others like this.
  3. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

That's cool to here it makes me happy to know that there will be some people still making music with instruments in the future. I wonder what the actual number of guitars sold was.

4. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I think guitar sales are up across the board.

Lockdown folk stuck at home have to find something to spend their money on they saved from commuting.

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Fender!!!!

That's right baby.

Love it.

Deafsoundguy and Jesse414 like this.
  6. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Too many fools buying overpriced pieces of ****!

sadmoodyfrazier likes this.
  7. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

OK Negative Nancy. What's it to you?

#CalmDownItsNotYourGuitar

Dare1, Neil.C, Blue Beagle and 4 others like this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Not at all surprising given both lesser inventories of quality used gear and the number of items dealers show on back order. Somebody is buying.

9. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

Now that I think about it, they sent me a survey about the 3 month Play freebie. Wanting to know if I bought gear as a result of that free 3 months. I imagine this is why. They're trying to make some kind of determination about how much was sold as a direct result of their giveaway.

10. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-O-Master

I’m super happy for them. It makes sense that at least someone will have better business during this time. I’ve never bought a new Fender until the last few months and ordered my third (and final) new one today!

And Fender Play discount did factor into me going out and getting what I really wanted which was a Mod Shop. Using the 10% off I saved $175 and didn’t have to switch to Geico.

11. oregonelf

oregonelf Strat-Talk Member

Good for them? Puleeeze!!! Did they give back to the community in the form of Labor day sales? NO. No manufacturer did, neither did any retailer. I just bought a Squier from Fender dot com which will be delivered tomorrow, not a discount to be found anywhere.

Rather unseemly to be profiting from an epidemic.

Axeman826 likes this.
  12. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

I should've done italics to emphasise what I thought would be obvious sarcasm.

Quite a few members here pushing the whole 'only fools pay for Fender' agenda and that's ok.

Paperback Rocker and The-Kid like this.
  13. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

It's good to see.
    I hope the increased sales are mostly by young people getting into guitar and it's not due to the same old folks ( like me ) buying more guitars to collect.
    Nevertheless, in these times, hats off to Fender, one of the few enjoying increased sales.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  14. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I talked to my guy at our local store that I have been buying from for over 40 yrs and expressed my concern that they might go out of business because of the lockdown. He let me know they have been swamped with business.....I was thrilled.

Caddy, Deafsoundguy and tanta07 like this.
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

My local GC and Sam Ash both had 10-15% off for Labor Day sales. My Sweetwater rep, local Sam Ash and GC always gives me 10-20% off every purchase simply because I ask them for it. I have not paid full price for any amp, pedal or guitar in at least 5 years. Also it's always the retailer that gives the discounts, not the manufacturer because we buy from the retailer. I have never once bought a guitar direct form a manufacturer. And what evidence do you have that Fender (or other Mfg.) do not give back to communities? I know Fender donates lots of money and instruments to youth music programs.

I saw your other post complaining about no labor day sales but like I said I get discounts anytime I buy just by asking the sales rep, no holiday special needed. I have never been refused when I asked for a better price even before COVID and Sweetwater has given me 15-20% off every order I have placed with them in 2020 (7 orders in all). If you are not asking for a better price then you are missing out.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Caddy and Deafsoundguy like this.
  16. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-O-Master

That's cool! I had opined in the past that the lockdowns would hurt guitar sales, since it was harder for people to try out the guitars in person. I'm happy to see I was wrong about that.

Deafsoundguy, radd and The-Kid like this.
  17. Trickster019

Trickster019 Strat-Talk Member

Glad for Fender, for Fender workers, for Fender buyers and for new guitarists around the world.

Deafsoundguy, radd and The-Kid like this.
  18. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I was going to do the exact same thing....unfortunately Fender stopped offering ModShop left handed strats...I'm sure they'll be back once the new models are out....

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  19. oregonelf

oregonelf Strat-Talk Member

Fender, Sweetwater, and ZZounds had NO discounts on guitars this past labor day. NONE. Fender had half off straps, whoopee!

Also, Fender should be donating some of its pandemic windfall to out of work musicians. Rather disgusting by Fender to brag about "double digit volumes and sales increases" in our country's time of suffering.

20. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

50/50 split here
    1 for me & 1 for a entry level beginner

brians and Stratbats like this.