Lockdown boosts sales of Fender

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Wound_Up, Sep 9, 2020.

1. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I wonder about its effect on other musical instrument sales.

The-Kid likes this.
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Man, I tried big time to get a knock-off
    No go
    I guess since they usually list it for $179 and I got it for $149 that's it.

Stratoskater likes this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Like I said I never pay attention to sales as I can always get at minimum 10% off any purchase. Sam Ash gave me $750 off a Taylor 914 I bought in January, that's 15% and all I did was ask my sales guy if he could do any better on the price, Sweetwater gave me $300 off a Silver Sky in February, that is about 13% just from me asking can you do any better. GC gave me $400 off a PRS Custom 22 in November, that is about 12% off and again all I said was can you do any better on the price, easy as that. Waiting for holiday sales is not necessary ever in me experience to get the best price.

As for Fender and their charity, they already launched a non profit charitable foundation in November of 2109. It provides resources to young musicians who need them. In addition Fender partnered with Joe B and VW to put out live stream shows to raise money for musicians struggling during COVID. And they also partnered with Australia's Support Act to help raise money there for musicians struggling so they absolutely have been using their time and money to help musicians and I'm sure will continue to do so.

Considering the empty hangers at GC and Sam Ash I am betting every major guitar maker is killing it right now (as are bike makers, there is currently a 3-4 month wait to get a new bike form all my local shops). There will always be companies that thrive and those that suffer during things like this, that is a free market and I for one have zero problems with it. My company has been killing it during this time because our expenses are so low with everyone working form home. We are more profitable than we have been in 20 years. Because of this I have been given a raise and all employees have been given two "COVID Bonuses" for our hard work during these trying times. Yes I feel bad for al those struggling and out of work but I feel no shame in my companies success or how it has benefited me.

Bottom line is if you don't like that Fender is making record sales and as you say bragging about it (although I see nothing in the quote that even comes close to bragging, just an Executive that is shocked at how well they are doing) then don't buy their products. Like I said it's a free market.

Neil.C, brians, Blue Beagle and 2 others like this.
  4. Stratoskater

Yeah the bigger discounts come on higher ticket items. Sweetwater knocked $20 off each of the three pedals I bought earlier this year that were $150-$175 and $40 off a $300 pedal but I cannot get GC to do it on small things like that so I do not buy them from GC. It also helps that I have spent over $7K with each of GC, Sam Ash and Sweetwater in the past 3 years. They can see my sales history and as it has grown so too have the discounts I can get.

Bob the builder likes this.
  5. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-O-Master

I just checked and they had three different lines in Mod Shop as left handed models :). Strats that is.

I just ordered my PRS Blue Burst from Sweetwater. All I did was ask kindly if there was any sort of Labor Day discount and I got a $75 discount on a $1000 item. Maybe could have had better I dunno but I sure wasn’t going to complain! :thumb: I always use the same SW guy, he’s totally awesome and professional.

And as far as Fender, my Fender Play just saved me $175 so that’s certainly a discount and enough for like 35 ish tasty extra hot Mochas at Peet’s coffee :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    Stratoskater likes this.
  6. Stratoskater

Exactly all you have to do is ask. I love too how folks say GC or someone told them they cannot discount new PRS due to PRS rules. BS! I got discounts on both my Custom 22 from GC and Silver Sky from Sweetwater and they were brand new and one was mid November and the other last February so no holiday sales going on, I just asked for a better price and they said yes.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  7. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Strat-Talk Supporter

So much for those threads about guitar music dying, kids don't want to take up guitar these days, etc...

8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

That's what I was hoping
    I've dropped a few k there, I used to get coupons for crap all the time.
    It all dried up

Stratoskater likes this.
  9. aiabx

aiabx Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Any leisure activity that doesn't involve major travel is making a killing. Boats, camping gear, beer-making supplies, everything. I expect that non-Fender guitars are riding the same wave of people trapped at home desperate for something fun to do.

10. oregonelf

oregonelf Strat-Talk Member

The Free market? Guitars bought in January before covid-19? Asking your Sweetwater rep for discounts? This has exactly nada to do with the subject. In fact you are misrepresenting my words: please quote where I said Fender was bragging.

Live music venues are on the cusp of being snuffed out forever, I think instead of pats on the back, Fender should be pressured to share profits with the communities and musicians who keep Fender products relevant!

11. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Right.....

Buying new?!?!?!**

Lol**

Only Plebes buy new.....**

Why buy new....?!?!?**

When I could buy a used guitar for 50 bucks or 25$ less than the 700$ a new one goes for...**

Come on man....what do you think I am....***

A stooge !?!?****

Bladesg likes this.
  12. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Just coming in to say my best regards, Captain!!!

Cheers!!!

I feel people want what they dont have easy access to.

When regular dudes want guitar....Fender or Gibson pop to mind 80% of the time.

Maybe in general people have time to choose but in an instant all at once everyone demanding a guitar in this particular time.....

Fender came out king and probably got a bigger part of the pie given sudden demand in this instance. Its hard to find a way to explain....but in a mega polarized world not just in society but also business in a sense, especially in these times, parts of the industry as far as consumer demand go consolidate pretty quickly and again in this world where the pie got bigger but share of that pie got smaller for mostly everyone else and their share got bigger...

Fender came out on top.

This will have effects for sure for the next decade not just at Fender but also the industry as a whole.

Not only did the pie get bigger, but they took more of it and others have less of it as well.

Its hard to say what this means. But its what I see and for sure will have an effect for the next decade and well into the century.

Things like this (Covid/ Stupid sales) only happen once a Century.....

Take that into perspective and understand what it means.

Either way.

Cheers for Fender!!!

Deafsoundguy and circles like this.
  13. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

A lot of companies are experiencing Record Sales not only Fender, other Industries as well And I think that since folks were restricted to staying home most of the time they figured i may as well do something i always wanted to do but never really had the chance like learn guitar or bass or any other musical instrument also i think a lot of people got scared in this pandemic and decide that may as well enjoy my pleasures now, i think when people get scared they re evaluate their life and decide to change up some aspects, like well im not so sure id like to travel to other countries anymore, maybe ill do something different

Stone

The-Kid likes this.
  14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Stratoskater and Stratbats like this.
  15. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender failed to mention that 99% of the sales were ukuleles

x9wZUYwJfdNJ9fLeURGNvQ-970-80.jpg

Trickster019, The-Kid, nadzab and 3 others like this.
  16. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Here you go.
    " Rather disgusting by Fender to brag about "double digit volumes and sales increases" in our country's time of suffering."

Neil.C, nadzab, Blue Beagle and 2 others like this.
  17. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    The lockdown boosted online sales of just about everything. Jeff Bezos is now worth another $434 BILLION since January.

Neil.C, brians, nickmsmith and 2 others like this.
  18. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

No company should be "pressured" to share profits with the very people that purchased their products or anyone for that matter. That notion is just silly and falls in line with the modern narrative that those who achieve should give to those who don't. Furthermore, you could never regulate such a venture since everyone would become an "out-of-work musician" just to get a few bucks in their pocket. It would literally never end and would take a whole new division of Fender just to validate anyone's claim that they deserved some money.

19. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

I got a 10% off coupon from Sweetwater and just bought a Tele. Been wanting a new one for awhile now...

Yaralag and Deafsoundguy like this.
  20. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-O-Master

It's obvious that clubs and the whole scene revolving around live sound is suffering greatly and everyone related. As per a UK article, many pro musicians are giving up on music or thinking about giving up playing professionally.

What will be interesting is the huge amount of people getting into guitar and etc because now they have time to practice and fall in love with music and playing it. What will become of that passion? will it lead to new bands and more people wanting to support them and new music as a whole when we can get together again and watch a show live?

For me, pre covid it was 98% eat/breathe/sleep/invest pro audio gear (worst investment ever BTW)
    During Covid, now it's 2% pro audio and 98% of my thoughts (aside from family and dogs) are all about guitars and practicing. I've had more practicing in the last 6 months than the last 20 years probably. And loving it.

Lets hope some new fan bases come out of this crap.