Locking tuners: yes...no?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by grritz, Aug 1, 2020 at 8:52 AM.

1. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talker

I put Hipshot staggered height locking tuners on all the guitars I build. I don't know that it stays in tune better, but I like the easy string change and no string trees.

lammie200, 3bolt79 and Ruscio like this.
  2. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I have locking tuners on one guitar. I've cut a string with the lock mechanism twice. Tuning is not more stable, stability is more likely a nut issue.

I have experienced crappy tuners, usually the issue is they don't turn smoothly. Some really bad ones have a lot of slop, which makes it awkward to get in tune in the first place. None of them slip.

Locking tuners are a little faster to string. I don't see any reason to pay extra for that.

3bolt79, StummerJoe and CB91710 like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

I have guitars with vintage style Klusons, ones with Grovers, and others with Pings and Schallers and have never had an issue with tuning once I learned how to restring properly.

So....I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

Love it, prefer it.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

But apart from that.................no, fair dos, if they’re not for you so be it. At the other end of the instrument, I’ve just changed strings on an Affinity Tele. Top loading bridges are evil, trying to get the string up though the bridge piece is a bloody nightmare!

6. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Strat-Talk Member

I like em... just more convenient.

3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the same problem stringing the Squier Mini. Mainly down to my hands though. Apart from the bridge, Affinity Teles are quite nice.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

+1 on staggered height tuners to avoid string trees. Also like the universal mounting plate of Hipshot so that you can swap them in or out w/out any further drilling in the headstock.

3bolt79 and Supernut like this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I have had a few guitars with locking tuners, and noticed no difference in tuning stability. I feel no great need for them.

10. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Not necessary, but I like 'em.

3bolt79, StummerJoe and circles like this.
  11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

here's the thing.. ANY correctly functioning tuner, wound correctly, "locks" the string as well as ANY locking key .... all ya gotta do is learn how to string the things.. the advantage to locking keys are, ease of restringing... and the added weight to the headstock, reducing the strings ability to "bleed" energy into the more massive headstock.. < that CAN improve sustain, and/or the additional mass can shift resonant peaks within the construct of the guitar, useful if you're chasing "wolf notes".

12. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Strat-Talk Member

I replaced both my Strat and Tele tuners with Fender lockers, much much more stable. Love the look of the brushed nickel, and the fine tuning gear ratio
    [​IMG]

3bolt79, Wound_Up, CB91710 and 2 others like this.
  13. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

Yup... I havent taken them to a scale, but locking Schallers sure do appear to have more mass than their Ping equivalent.

I personally cant tell any difference in tone/sustain, but they definitely do a good job as tuning keys

Who needs a Fat Finger when youve got some lockers with mass!

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I had knock off Kluson (non-locking) tuners on my Les Paul for 35 years. Rock solid as far as tuning.
    On a strat where you use a whammy bar, the lockers might be more useful.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

I have three guitars with three different types of tuners, but I like the vintage slotted tuners the best. The slot locks the string in and holds tuning, and they look the best and cleanest in my view. The locking tuners are nice because they're the quickest string change, which can be handy when you break a string in a band rehearsal and you're on the clock. The standard tuners that come with most guitars these days are the worst. Even doing the little trick of wrapping the string around to lock it in place still doesn't provide the same tuning stability. Even stretching the strings out thoroughly, I still find that one goes out of tune repeatedly for a few days after a new set of strings whereas the other two will hold tune on the first day.

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  16. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

isn't that one of the quarks?

17. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I've had 'em and I liked the convenience of them. But they kind of weighed down the headstock and I've gotten to the point of finding string changes to be a little bit therapeutic, and lockers (with the knob or screw - not the self-locking kind) just make it too quick a process to enjoy. So now I don't have locking tuners on any of my three guitars. Although I have a set on the shelf I could put on my strat if I ever decide I want to again.

-Ray

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. grritz

grritz Still 17 between the ears Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah. I find it helps to just curl the end of the string a bit. Then put it through the hole in the bridge with that curled end pointing up, so it goes through the saddle OK. Takes a moment or two to get the hang of it, then it's a breeze.

3bolt79 and Ebidis like this.
  19. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Locking. I went with locking once, Since then wont own one without locking tuners.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

I'm a big yes, pretty much just for ease of string changes, especially quick changes at gigs.

3bolt79 likes this.