Long time no post. I was swimming in Les Paul’s but have returned to Strat’s again!!! NGD!! 2020 Fender Road Worn 60s Strat - Daphne Blue - CME

Randy_Lahey

Strat-Talker
Apr 1, 2020
Peckertonica, IL
Picked this up off the gear page.

Super quick review/synopsis of my thoughts on this guitar.

The positives. Killer sound. Awesome feel between the thin nitro, worn in feel etc…. As some people say, relic guitars just feel like an old comfortable pair of shoes, or an old T-shirt that just fits you after you worn it a thousand times. There is significant checking in the finish already which I dig. I’m not a huge fan of the cookie cutter relic they use, the pattern etc…. However, with some playtime it will become my own. And I hear these things wear quickly to the user.

This is my first 7 1/4 inch radius guitar. I was a bit hesitant at first to dive in. I’ve heard horror stories about bending And having to run high action etc. To me, it is not harder to play vs my other guitars. Different , but not harder. I have the action set up ever so slightly higher than I would a 9 1/2 inch radius. But to me it’s fairly transparent, as far as playability goes; to move back-and-forth between radius guitars. Yes there is a little bit of feel difference. But nothing I would write home about. If anything, some stuff is easier to play especially bar chords and thumb over/Hendrix type stuff. If any newer players out there are worried about playing the 7 1/4 inch radius, due to all the hyperbole on the Internet. I wouldn’t be that concerned. Go for it. At least head to a local guitar shop and try to find one to play. Take a little time with it though. May take a minute or two to get used to it. But once you do, you may like it.

For the money, I think these things rock. I’ve played various Mexican, American, and custom shop strats. Obviously, there are differences as you move up the line. However, I feel like this guitar in particular is pretty close to the feel of some custom shops I have played. Where this really falls down is the fretwork. Leveling is fine, but the fret ends are disappointing. Enough so, that it takes me out of the moment. It did take some time, working the fret ends, to get it smooth how I like. That being said, for the money, I can’t complain.

Take away points…… Is this is good as a relict custom shop 60s reissue type guitar. Hell no. But for the money, it comes pretty damn close. If you don’t mind the cookie cutter relic’ing, you get a pretty nice true nitro finish , that is already checked, or will once it hits any sort of weather differences. Fret ends may need dressing etc.

Take this for what it’s worth. My two cents and idiot review!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Unknown-4.jpeg
    Unknown-4.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 59
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 57
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Axis29

Strat-O-Master
Mar 9, 2007
Beaumont. California
Having not followed new guitar stuff for a while, I never knew they did it in blue. That's nice!

My only question is, when did they switch the RoadWorns to 7 1/4 radius? Or am I mis-remembering? I thought they had a 9 1/2 radius fingerboard?

mfranzdorf

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 29, 2013
ohio
Having not followed new guitar stuff for a while, I never knew they did it in blue. That's nice!

My only question is, when did they switch the RoadWorns to 7 1/4 radius? Or am I mis-remembering? I thought they had a 9 1/2 radius fingerboard?
Always have been 7.25 as far as I know. My RW 50’s Strat is and it’s several years old.

YohanTheMan

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2020
Denmark
I have one in Candy apple red. Similar experience as yours, but after a little work on the fret ends and a setup, it plays beautifully.

The Pure vintage 59s sound great. Lovely sounding pickups they went with, and the colors are great too. Really like the Daphne blue.

HNGD