Looking at an Epiphone Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Thumper_6119, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Thumper_6119

Thumper_6119 Strat-Talker

I have been playing my Strat (first guitar) for a year now, and I think I would like to have an acoustic electric to go along with it. I would prefer a cutaway. My max price range is around $300. I was looking at the PR-5E (Ebony). Does anyone here have this model, and if so, what is your opinion/review of it. Or do you have any other suggestions?

I do not gig. I play for my own pleasure. (If that helps).

2. Tony6Strings

Tony6Strings Senior Stratmaster

I've been less than impressed with Epiphone entry level acoustics. They do build some pretty decent stuff in the 600 up range, IE their Masterbuilt series. For what you're looking for, I would recommend a Fender Sonoran. It's in your price range and it's a really decent guitar. I've got one and I'm very happy with it. You can either go classic dreadnought (like mine) or get the cutaway model with the electronics (sounds more like what you're after). Also worth mention is the Ovation Balladeer. I had one that I got for a steal at a pawn shop, I should have never gotten rid of it.

3. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Strat-O-Master

I had one a few years ago. It was a good guitar, action was nice...good sound etc. Then the electronics died.

4. Paulbiz

Paulbiz Senior Stratmaster

5. paleus

paleus Strat-O-Master

+1 for Seagull, they cut back on the looks to give you a better sounding guitar.

6. cagethelephant

cagethelephant Banned

Buy an epiphone jumbo the ej200 artist is only 200 bucks and is an amazing guitar for the money and you can put a 100 dollar pickup in it and it will gaurenteed sound better than any 300 dollar acoustic on the market

7. masintenn

masintenn Strat-Talk Member

I have an Ibanez Artwood and it is a nice, cheap acoustic. Solid wood top too!

8. ny mason

ny mason Strat-Talker

I second the fender sonoran,its been my main squeeze when i visit my local shop for sometime now.just waiting for a few extra bucks to pull the trigger.i was never very impressed with eps

9. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen Strat-Talk Member

My friend has a Takamine (not sure which model). It constantly goes out of tune. I mean within just a few minutes. When he comes over to jam with me, he usually can't even get through a song without stopping to retune. Based on that, I'll never buy one. They seem like junk to me.

10. Thumper_6119

Thumper_6119 Strat-Talker

Excellent!! Please keep the replies and advice coming in, y'all!! I am looking up everything everyone has listed here. Thank you thank you!!

11. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

I have a Fender entry acoustic, the CD-60 I believe. It was 200 bucks and came with a hardshell case. It's not the nicest, but neither is any guitar in the price range, and I like it, sounds good and cheap enough to carry around.

No electronics, but if you only play at home I don't see the need. Of course, you can get that done later, or just mic it should you ever play at say an open mic.