Looking at buying a Strat...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ironwolf, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Looking closely at the Player's series. Any opinions pro or con?

Stratafied likes this.
  2. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Senior Stratmaster

Many folks like them. I know that I do, I’ve owned three of them, but I didn’t keep any. It may sound stupid, but I have come to realise that I don’t like the modern interpretation of a strat. My player models were all great guitars, but they lacked the feel I associate with a strat. 2-point- Trem plus 22 frets and to my ears more modern pickups turned me away from them and towards my Squier CVs and right now, the roadworn series

3. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

Been playing since 1957 and never could really bond with a Strat (not that I hadn’t tried) until I got my Players Plus Top aged cherry burst Strat. Great playing and sounding guitar. I do only play really clean so YMMV. It is the only Strat I will need. Two point trem is a real improvement, much smoother.

4. SGD74

SGD74 Strat-Talk Member

Player series are great guitars. Absolute solid choice for the money. I’ve got a strat Player series as well as a CV, classic 60s, Am Pro II, and others. I like them all for different reasons. Shows how far Mexican strats have come to produce guitars of that quality for the money. Whether you like a 2 point trem, or how many frets, that’s down to personal choice for any guitar and whether you’re a purist or not. 2 point trems are pretty much the norm these days given the better performance for what they do. As far as the pickups are concerned, they are middle of the road quality pickups that most would be happy with. I’ve no plans to replace mine. If you are ok with small tweaks to the instrument over the years in an attempt to improve it, go for it. If you like a fatter neck and not a modern C, choose something else for similar reasons, although not a classic vibe as those use a modern c.

5. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth Strat-Talk Member

Son has a players 60 classic, I have a players tele, like both. That post above by baelzebub on adoramas lpb strat, I would jump on if I was thinking of buying, but last thing I need is another guitar, heluva deal tho’

Andrew Wasson and stormsedge like this.
  6. Monkey

Monkey Strat-Talker

I own a 2018 strat player series , There was some minor problems but easy to fix. 5 of the fret ends needed fine paper sanding and the ground connection at the jack was not soldered.The guitar plays and sounds good .You could gig with this guitar sound axe I think.

7. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I love my Player. It's orange, fun, easy to play and sounds like a Strat.

I think the main thing to consider is whether you like Fender's "modern C" neck. I'm okay with them, but after some guitars that I've acquired since then that have "deep C" and "60s C" and "soft V" necks I understand why some old school players steer clear of the modern C neck.

8. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I purchased a new Player Strat in February. It is an excellent guitar and a pleasure to play. Fit and finish is very good. It added “true Strat” tones to my little collection (that includes four other S bodies...HSS, HH, HH-EMG, and P90x3) the others didn’t quite hit.

The PSA LPB player posted today is a great price.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

The one I'm looking at is the Sunburst Plus-Top with the Pao Ferro finger board. If the pickups don't satisfy me, I will buy a set of 50s pickups from Porter Pickups here in town.

10. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Jump on that Adorama deal!!

Antstrat likes this.
  11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Waiting on my 3rd one to come in
    Already have a tele & a hss strat
    #3 is a sss
    Yeah...I like em

Stratafied likes this.
  12. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

I have a 2016 plus top with Texas Specials, it kicks ass after a meticulous setup.

I just bought the surf pearl player's strat from MF last week, I loved the color so I took a chance. I didn't really like the player's series pickups, maybe they're ok, but I'm just used to TS. So, now, I'm waiting on a bridge pickup to really start setting it up (pickup swap, nut filling, truss adjustments, etc...)

The neck has a great profile and the frets were filed well. The body on the player's strat is a little more rounded on the edges than my 2016 and 2012 MIMs. On the plus side though, it feels a little lighter which might be good for extended playing sessions like rehearsals.

13. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

No cons only pros. Great guitar.