Looking For a Home Use Amp, Blues Jr?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JDug, Oct 27, 2020.

1. JDug

JDug Strat-Talker

I’m currently looking for a Fender tube amp for home use. I’m looking at Blues Jr’s, and Champion X2’s...

I see one locally for sale, a Blues Jr, 50th Anniversary ( so a ‘96?) with an Eminance Cannabis Rex speaker in it, comes with original speaker also. It looks like new. They’re asking $480

What’s the general consensus on the Blues Jr amps?

Thanks for any advice!

bojanbeo likes this.
  2. wayoutjohn

wayoutjohn Strat-Talker

BJ is a fantastic little amp. But, no tube amp I've ever owned met my needs for home play. Tried 15W amps, tried to attenuate, tried 5W amps. Just couldn't make them work for me at lower volumes. Tone Master Deluxe solved it

_MS_, radd, Anacharsis and 5 others like this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

$480 is way too high for a used Blues Jr.....that's like $630 Canadian and they're only $840 Canadian new here....

CB91710, Nick-O and JDug like this.
  4. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Blues JR is a great amp....but for home use I think it's too loud.

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

I have two that work perfect for me. A Roland Micro cube and a Bugera G5. I also have a G20 but its a bit much for what I need.
    I use the Micro cube with headphones for the most part but use the G5 most of the time. Great sounding amps..

bojanbeo and JDug like this.
  6. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

BJ is a very popular and versatile amp. It's not the best amp around, but it's good, and it covers a lot of bases. It's small, light, portable, good for home, loud enough to gig, easy to dial in a good sound, great with pedals. People sometimes knock it because it is neither here nor there. It's not a big powerful gigging amp for large venues, it's not quiet with modern conveniences for headphones, recording, etc, like some amps specifically designed for that. It's not an expensive pro-level amp with distinctive tonal character. But it's very versatile and can fit in well to a wide range of uses. That's one of the reasons it's so popular. If you are an amateur player and want to have only one amp, it would be a great choice.

As for price, the CRex speaker is a +/- $100 upgrade that many people choose for good reason, it is a perfect pairing with this amp and improves the tone significantly. The fact that the CRex is already broken in is a double bonus, since those take a long time to break in. Sounds like they are including the stock speaker as well, which you can sell or keep. If they're asking $480, they'll probably take $450. Offer them that and you are getting a very good and fair deal.

bojanbeo, PBO Blues and JDug like this.
  7. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

If you're looking for home use, I'd shoot for something in the 1-watt range. Maybe look for one of those new Bassman amps with adjustable wattage, or something like the Blackstar HT-1. Blues Jr. is a great amp, I play with a friend all the time who has one - but it's not gonna shine at bedroom volumes.

I just picked up a Supro 1606 Super, 5-watts. Way too loud to get any breakup at bedroom levels. I had to buy an attenuator for it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    JDug and Cali Dude like this.
  8. Loner71

Loner71 Strat-Talker

I have a BJ IV and its a great little Amp that you can dial in some sweet tones at home levels. The master volume comes in handy there. I had an older Tweed BJ that I traded a while back that was a nice sounding amp but reverb is a little on the sensitive side with the older ones.
    I think the price is a touch high, but I think you would find it pretty versatile as they handle pedals very well.
    Have a safe and happy amp hunting season.

bojanbeo and JDug like this.
  9. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

ill tell you a perfect home tube amp......the vox ac4tv with the 10" speaker.
    you can put it on 4, 1, or 1/4 watts, and it sounds great with pedals.

Stonetone and Handsome McClane like this.
  10. CadillacBob

CadillacBob Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

I have a Blues Jr. tweed version with the 12" speaker. I only use this amp at home and find I can some really nice tone at low levels. It takes pedals well so can use them to get some overdrive if needed. There a lot of Youtube videos on this amp of how to dial it in at low levels with no pedals as well. I had the Bugara V5 5w and Fender Bassbreaker 007 7w, this amp IMO sounds better than either of them. Also has reverb which is great. If you get a good deal on this amp, which many sell on CL for cheap, you can always try it and sell if it doesn't appeal to you.

11. JDug

JDug Strat-Talker

Morf, thanks for your detailed reply, greatly appreciated!

Yes, I basically want a home use amp, always wanted a tube amp, and gotta be a Fender ( because I’m a Fender geek, nerd, fanboy, etc, and it will pair well with my ‘96 American Standard Strat I bought last month!)

Anyway, thanks for the insight on the Blues Jr, and yes the C Rex speaker is an added attraction. I was thinking 425-450 is a fair offer, we’ll see. ( My wife was thinking more of 400, it would be an Xmas gift from her to me, but I’m afraid of insulting the guy!)

If that doesn’t work, I’ll also look at other Blues Jr’s or the SuperChampX, as I wouldn’t know the finer differences between them anyway, not an amp expert ( My first/only amp was/is a ‘82 Peavey Studio Pro amp, sounds great to me, just not a tube amp, or a Fender!)

12. Neilshane

Neilshane Strat-Talk Member

I highly recommend the Blues Jr. for home use. With it's master volume you can get great overdriven tones and very manageable volume levels. Can't go wrong.

Bcorig, JDug and jbylake like this.
  13. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

I've got several heads, cabs and two combos. I can "go to" the Blues Jr anytime I want. I live in a condo and can keep the neighbors and HOA happy. Great little amp. I think 5 bills for a used one is a bit much though. And that seems about the going rate. Play it and try them on for size at $450 or less if you can get it.

JDug likes this.
  14. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Any 15 watt tube amp is going to piss off the neighbors if you try to push it into natural overdrive. Even 5 watts can get pretty loud. Without an attenuator you're going to have a very clean tone at reasonable home volumes. But it's still a very usable tone. Just keep it clean, throw a good pedal in front, and it's like having a 2-channel amp.

15. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-O-Master

What ever choice you make, getting an attenuator for the amp might be your best bet for home use. Even 5 watts can be loud. Just be certain to match the impedance of the attenuator with the amp. THD hot plate attenuators can be had used for a little cash. If you could swing it, the THD Univalve is a great amp for home use. You can find them used on reverb or ebay.

JDug and jbylake like this.
  16. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

I had one and can't recommend a Blues Junior for bedroom use. Wouldn't a nice Super Champ do the trick?

JDug likes this.
  17. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

My Blues Jr. is sitting in the garage.

I bought the 1watt Marshall.

Gevalt and JDug like this.
  18. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

For home use, a Vox Pathfinder 15 is positively surprising. One would reach for the back to look for tubes, and find none.

But if tubes are mandatory, I would try to get a Marshall Class 5 - five watts of pure Marshall cream. More than enough for home.

JDug likes this.
  19. JDug

JDug Strat-Talker

I was doing some reading just now and honestly, I’m concerned with the volume levels to get some kind of distortion/overdrive.

In all honesty , I’m not going to really push it louder than say, the volume at which you would watch tv at with some guests.

And with that being said, would I ever get any kind of distortion out of it? I’ve been reading you have to crank these things to get any sound out of it, so thats not happening for me! lol

I actually saw a SuperChamp XD for 300 , and thinking that might be the better route, I don’t know...

I definitely play clean, and with some distortion, nothing crazy, but when I want some distortion, I don’t want to have to rattle the windows to get it!

20. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Strat-Talker

Well, I'm afraid that if you push a 15w Blues Jr to distortion, sans pedals, you'll definitely rattle some windows. Yes, Master Volume, but... Don't get me wrong, I love mine and have defended them for years, but for lower volumes you'll want to attenuate it, adding to the cost. For straight home use, you're probably better off with a lower powered amp or one with power scaling. Some good ones have been suggested here.

My Jr's sort of gathering dust now as I recently picked up a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb that's perfect for my varying needs, home and out (if I ever get to do out again. :() It's probably pricier than you'd care to go, though, and it's not a tube amp.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    JDug and rafasounds like this.