Looking for a Strat with a thicker neck, what are my options?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Johnny781, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Johnny781

Johnny781 Strat-Talk Member

I had an American Special Strat 2013, and the neck around the 12th fret was a hair too thin for me. The Pros feel like a great fit, but I'm pinching pennies right now. What do the older American Standards fall closer in line with? Pros of today with deep C necks or Mordern Cs?

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Modern C.

3. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

Older American Standards are a modern C.

You could try to find the first version of the Hwy 1 Strats. I find my 2002 Hwy 1 neck thicker than my 2013 American Special neck.

The 2013 A.S. measures .8355" at the first fret and .8770" at the 12th
    The 2002 Hwy 1 is .8275" at the first and .8930" at the 12th.

I sold my 98 American Standard last Sunday so I can't measure it.

If you want a significantly thicker neck but don't want to spend big bucks look for a Kenny Wayne Shepard Strat. Yes, I know it's not American but it was near the top of the line for Mexican quality. The KWS neck is basically the same-ish neck as the SRV neck but symmetrical.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

5. daytonian

daytonian Strat-Talker

I hear the Jeff Beck Strat has a fairly engorged neck.

CB91710 and meat cheese meat like this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Early Beck models and the Robert Cray sig.

jpmist likes this.
  7. Johnny781

How did you find exact neck measurements? I’ve been looking for a source to compare. Fuzzfaced doesn’t list a lot of exact neck measurements

8. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-O-Master

No need to pay for a new strat if pinching pennies. Just upgrade the neck for about $250-300. Go with a Warmoth Boatneck for a pseudo soft V shape. Or their fatback for a more C shape. I took the thin 59 D off my 59 AV strat and put on a warmoth boatneck @ 0.96” from nut to heal, quarter-sawn and SS 6105 frets. I even put the same profile on a tele build, it feels that good. I put my daughters name on both. 854ECE22-A29B-4CF8-BCB5-8673B4CC9E13.jpeg 9394B75F-18C4-44BA-9B4E-8051B5A495AA.jpeg

9. StratorTrle

StratorTrle Strat-Talk Member

Modern C is not super thick. I have a vintera modified 50s strat with the 9.5 modern C and it's super comfy. soft V is actually very nice. It's chunky but comfortable. I'm playing a vintage V75 right now and it has the almost old school neck feel, just thinner. I actually like these. I saw somebody say, modern C up the thread. That is not correct. Lol

10. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Personally I find the soft V to be just right. You'll find V's on various models, Claptons, I think Hwy 1's, Classic Player 50's Baja Teles, and others.

You have to cross reference the name with any number of charts/pics/diagrams on the neck measurements. I've yet to find one place that aggregates all the information.

This site is helpful:

https://mycoolguitars.com/guitar-neck-profiles-and-measurements/

And here's some photos, by no means complete, but that can give you an idea of how they actually look and 1st and 12th fret measurements.

FENDERS NECK PROFILES.jpg

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

I own both of those necks & a Vernier. I did own an American Standard neck up until last weekend. I still have an American Deluxe neck which felt to be of similar specs to the Standard.

I can take what ever measurements you want from the necks that I have. Of course with all necks having at least some amount of hand work (& tolerances) no necks are exactly the same and no site can give exact measurements of any model. I have one first version HWY 1 Strat neck & 5 of the later HWY 1/Am.Spc. necks ranging from 2011-2021. I'm sure they will all come out to be slightly different specs.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  12. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

I am the guy that wrote Fuzzfaced. Please, let me know what do you think it's not right. Specs I wrote comes from Fender, catalogs or from intruments I had or I played. And I spent (and I continue to spend) a lot of time to collect them. Maybe it's possible the a few things are inaccurate. But really a few, not a lot. Some guys that find wrong specs had partcaster or wrong models. But if you, or anybody else, find something wrong, I can modify my website.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  13. Johnny781

Oh wow, first of all thank you so much for your hard work. Your site is amazing! I really don't have any issues with your site and specs list. I just noticed some models list the Thickness of the neck at the 1st and 12th fret, and I'm currently looking for that info on different models, because I'm looking for a slightly thicker neck than the typical Modern C.

Antonio77 and ibdrkn1 like this.
  14. afireinside

afireinside Strat-Talker

My 2003 highway 1 is a bit thicker, had a 2019 Deep C that was a bit chunky. My 2013 standard is quite thin. But my eric johnson is a fatty

15. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Strat-Talker

My 2001 american standard is blue :cool:

16. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

Thanks. It was really hard. Sometimes specs given by Fender are not 100% accurate, specially regarding colors and, rarely, ragarding dates and upgrades (for example Highway One Electronics and bridge). This is why it was hard: I tryed to check that official specs matched the guitars.

17. joesatch

joesatch Strat-Talker

i think the kotzen strat has a fat neck

18. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Look for non-Fender branded Strat copies, in the inexpensive starter models. Often those 'cheap' guitars do a better job of matching chunky bodies and thicker neck carves. Not all but some of them.

The 'Starcaster by Fender' Strats with the 'scroll' headstock (not the arrow head style) are pretty good. They leave more wood on the neck 'shoulders' even though the width and depth are the same they have a larger circumference.

Spectrum Strats from the 2000s, sold at Walmart/etc big box stores generally have chunky necks. Check out the First Act models from that era too.

Currently, I'd check out these models and dig into their descriptions:
    Glarry
    Grote
    Harley Benton
    Eart

19. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-O-Master

May I ask where you got that decal? I’m looking to get one that says ‘Corona’ in Fender style font for my lock-Down Warmoth build.

Thanks,

Ian

20. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-O-Master

I just bought a new Vintera neck the has a ‘V’ profile. I really like it! I have an SRV profile Warmoth neck. It’s really nice too! Both are roasted maple so the mat finish has a great feel to it.

Ian