Looking for a Strat with a thicker neck, what are my options?

afireinside

Strat-Talker
Mar 2, 2013
Michigan
Another beefy neck (and surprisingly beautiful fretwork) is a early 2000s Squier SE strat pack strat i have. Love that neck!

StratAlchemist

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 28, 2010
Traveler
May I ask where you got that decal? I’m looking to get one that says ‘Corona’ in Fender style font for my lock-Down Warmoth build.

Thanks,

Ian
I made this one using water slide decal paper and the script I made in PowerPoint/Gimp. Print the decal in reverse and I used a gold metal flake pen to highlight the inside of the lettering. To help with the adhesion since it’s reversed I mixed a small amount of white Elmers glue in the water when sliding the decal on. Works great. The most difficult part was applying the gold ink. The ink would flow out too fast for the thin parts so I pooled the ink aside and used a thin needle to basically dab and drag the ink into place, think fountain pen. There is probably a better method. I made an entire sheet so should I have ever need another I have it. Did silver for the Tele version. Modeled after a 63 Tele. 3BD7BE7B-B10C-4806-8154-02F33876FBD2.jpeg DE688EAA-AE90-43DD-BBD2-0D1D83FBA2C5.jpeg EF032A8A-FF7C-48A0-A829-334570EB0FE4.jpeg

Last edited:

357mag

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 22, 2010
Minnesota
When Fender had the American Vintage 62 Hot Rod available that guitar came with a very beefy neck. But the company keeps discontinuing what they make.

Richard McKay

Strat-Talker
The Ed O'Brian strat has a very chunky neck. I didn't buy it because of the neck, but you might love it. I'm guessing some people are swapping out the neck on those so you may be able to get one used.

really wanted that sustainer...

Mannie

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 30, 2012
Atlanta
jeff Beck strat
i have one i am selling, Surf Green, RW board, has Lace Sensor Rainbow pack and TBX.
for the neck and body$1000
add pickups and $1200

Duane_the_tub

Strat-O-Master
Aug 5, 2018
Vermont
Allparts FAT neck. Real nitro finish, surpringly premium craftsmanship and feel (though the frets usually need some work) and far more affordable than anything from Fender.

Once you go FAT, every other Strat neck you put in your hands will feel comically thin.

Vermoulian

Strat-Talker
Platinum Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2011
Chicago
I’ve had some MIMs with beefier necks but there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to what and when. But if you find an old MIM Standard somewhere it’s worth checking out—it might be what you want.

mazzolar59

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Apr 27, 2018
Chicago
Personally I find the soft V to be just right. You'll find V's on various models, Claptons, I think Hwy 1's, Classic Player 50's Baja Teles, and others.

You have to cross reference the name with any number of charts/pics/diagrams on the neck measurements. I've yet to find one place that aggregates all the information.

This site is helpful:

https://mycoolguitars.com/guitar-neck-profiles-and-measurements/

And here's some photos, by no means complete, but that can give you an idea of how they actually look and 1st and 12th fret measurements.

View attachment 485666

Great resource; thanks.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
I had an American Special Strat 2013, and the neck around the 12th fret was a hair too thin for me. The Pros feel like a great fit, but I'm pinching pennies right now. What do the older American Standards fall closer in line with? Pros of today with deep C necks or Mordern Cs?

You live in/near Philly. Go out to some music stores and play some.

pmoore

Strat-Talker
May 30, 2018
Allparts makes fender licensed necks that are super thick. 1" at 1st and 12th. Great neck for under $200

atomheart411

New Member!
Dec 4, 2017
San Francisco
+ 1 on the soft V, specifically the Clapton. The thing about it is when your playing bar chords your thumb falls on the peak of the V where it's fattest. I find that much more comfortable. In fact I'd like to try a bigger V just to see, might like it even more. And playing lead my thumb falls on the out side of the V where it's slimmest, also just right. I bought the Warmoth but I'm pretty sure Fenders Clapton profile specs are the same, or pretty close.

maximusgordon

Strat-Talk Member
May 22, 2021
Nevada City, CA
I had an American Special Strat 2013, and the neck around the 12th fret was a hair too thin for me. The Pros feel like a great fit, but I'm pinching pennies right now. What do the older American Standards fall closer in line with? Pros of today with deep C necks or Mordern Cs?

The Vintera 50's Road Worn I recently acquired has a Deep-C if I'm not mistaken. It's definitely substantial. I'd assume the regular 50's Vinteras are the same and they go for less than 1k. It's probably the best Fender I've ever owned in fact. Been very impressed with the quality coming out of the Ensanada factory.