Looking for subtle aged white covers/knobs

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by catsandstrats, Nov 19, 2020.

1. catsandstrats

catsandstrats Strat-Talk Member

Here's my dilemma:
    I'm looking for covers/knobs that fall somewhere between "Parchment" and the "Aged White" in the photo below. The "Aged White" covers are a really strong cream and the "Parchment" are nice but lack visual warmth. All three options in the photo are official Fender parts. I don't want any of the "reliced" or "aged" knobs (actual aging, not "aged white" ...such a word jumble) since the guitar is a 2019 '62 LTD Thin Skin and isn't aged.

Anyone have any experiences or ones they've been happy with? Thank you in advance! Mint Green pickguard haters need not apply. :D:)

[​IMG]

For some visual reference, if I could end up this vibe I'd be a happy camper:
    [​IMG]

Additional note:
    The pickguard in my photo is a Fender Mint Green '62 guard that I added (guitar shipped with tort but I want a classic 60's blonde aesthetic). I've been sun fading the Mint Green guard for several weeks and am generally happy with the results. The only visual dissonance is that it faded it to a cool grey/green which can rub a little bit with the warm blonde finish. Hoping it warms up a touch as it ages, but for this guitar the sun fade is big improvement from the strong green when the pickguard arrived.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    The_Whale likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Fender mint green and Fender Aged White pickup covers/knobs/tip.....the perfect look.....
    14424969_1092050957531427_3753132688509233528_o.jpg

catsandstrats likes this.
  3. Riderock

Riderock Strat-Talk Member

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Historically though, the pickup covers and knobs didn't turn mint green - that's a modern 'vintage' invention for people who feel the need to color match......so this to me looks wrong.....

Caddy and BigNorm like this.
  5. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Drop them in a cup of coffee. Pull them out and look every 30 minutes until you get the shade you want.

The sunburst on the left originally had white or parchment knobs and pick up covers I believe. This is what I did.

The guitar on the right has Fenders "standard aged covers" that came on the American Professional.

I don't recall how long I let them set in the coffee, may have been over night.

IMG_0514.jpg

jaxjaxon and The_Whale like this.
  6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

The closest I got to the in-between color you are describing was to do the coffee treatment on a set of pure white plastics - the current aged white was too yellow and the parchment was a little light (I was going for the look on Jeff Beck's strat that he used at Ronnie Scott's,) - the white +coffee landed right in the middle, with sufficient contrast to the parchment pickguard:

20200518_122946.jpg

catsandstrats and problem-child like this.
  7. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Fender also has "Vintage White" plastics from the last generation of American Standards. To my eye, it is exactly what you are looking for.

The AV59 on the left has pure white (aluminum pg with white enamel) and the Am Std on the right is the Vintage white, which has more character than the parchment I have on another guitar:

8. catsandstrats

By golly, you're totally right. Somehow I got that confused with something else. Looks like the "Pure Vintage 60's Stratocaster" accessory kit is the "Vintage white". Gonna grab one of those and see if it gets me more where I want. Thank you!

knh555 likes this.
  9. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I found that the Aged White plastic-ware that came on my Classic Player 50's Strat was too yellow-looking against the white single ply pickguard. I looked at many images of 57 and 62 Strats new or in very good vintage condition more often than not had parchment colored vs. what fender calls aged white colored plastic-ware, and so I went with parchment and it looks great since the guitar is like new and not a relic or beat up instrument.
    fender-accy-colors.jpg

The_Whale likes this.
  10. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

For my '66 tribute Affinity I went the tea treatment route. Only difference this time was I didn't wipe them when they came out after I was happy with the colour. I let them sit face up so they dried 'blotchy' for a more aged and used vibe. I've found tea is best if you use loads of bags and immerse the plastics whilst still pretty hot (but not sufficient to warp or melt). You can add that touch of green required for the '69 look with green tea too!

If you don't want to try staining the parchment set (which is what I'd try first ... I've had three successes and one failure previously) personally I think once the standard Fender Aged White are actually fitted you'll find they look much better in situ.

With regard to the guard you can take some of the green grey out and add more cream by the old Kiwi treatment. Gentle rub with steel wool, soft even application of shoe polish, remove with separate cloth. Repeat till effect achieved. Really easy to add that oft seen colour difference on vintage instruments where the strings have cast their shadows...

_DSC0142.jpg

PS. If it's a '62 why doesn't it have the hole for the top guard screw that isn't yet fitted?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    The_Whale likes this.
  11. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I don't understand your PS about "the hole for the top guard screw". Can you be more specific ?

12. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Yes of course but the question was really to the OP.

In the pic in the original post there doesn't seem to be a hole in the body for the screw that is missing .... the screw in the 'odd' position midway between the pups that defines it as a '59 - '62. On the assumption that's the OP's guitar I expected one on a '62 thin skin from Fender.

13. Hawk3y3

Hawk3y3 Strat-Talk Member

For what it is worth, I think the pure vintage 60s accessory set is what you are looking for

14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Mint guard with cream plastics. The pickups are Amalfitano VS and I'm guessing they came that color.

[​IMG]

15. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Give Overdrive Custom Guitar works a look. They’ll have what you’re looking for

http://stratcat.biz/

16. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-Talker

If your knobs and covers are standard Fender, black tea or instant coffee should do the trick. I once aged plastics in a cup of very strong tea (like 4-5 tea bags) in about 24h which yielded exactly the results you seem to be looking for. They were "parchment" parts from a 2011 Special. I simultaneously dropped in that same cup some aftermarket plastics from DiMarzio and Wilkinson and didn't age at all. So different plastics react differently. But more recently I managed to coffee-age some bright white DiMarzio knobs (it took more than a week though!), while the white Fender 1-ply back plate remained white.

The cool thing about staining them yourself is that they don't end up looking quite so brand new and uniform as new parts in "aged" colours. For example, the knobs tend to get a little darker within the little grooves.

Try it, keep checking them from time to time. Worst case scenario, you'll waste some tea or coffee with zero effect.

17. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I agree with the aftermarket observation - Fender parts respond to the coffee or tea approach, but most other brands do not seem to absorb the color.

One observation that I made with different stains is that tea and coffee do not yield the same color - I found the tea to have more of a rose tint, while coffee was more straight brown - neither gives the yellowish color of the current aged white parts.

Another thing I noticed is that aged white has changed over the years - I have a couple strats that I installed aged parts back in the late 90's/early 2000's and they look closer to the current 60's True Vintage color - a lot less yellow.
    Both guitars below have "aged white" parts - the left was purchased around 2002, the right an EJ strat from 2009 - color differences are pretty striking:

Screenshot 2020-11-20 082636.jpg

18. catsandstrats

That’s a good question, I’m honestly not sure. It’s a Thin Skin 62 LTD from Dave’s Guitar Shop but for whatever reason the original pickguard had the non-62 pattern.

I debated how to handle it for a while and finally landed on just ordering the ‘62 Pickguard with the intention of drilling the extra hole in a few months if I still like the look of it. I decided it’d be easier to drill a single ‘62 body screw hole than do the counter sinks and truss-rod notch in a modern 11-hole guard.

19. catsandstrats

Got one on order! May post some pictures whenever I get it.

Hawk3y3 likes this.