Losing my car's cassette player next week

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by BluesForDan, Jul 30, 2020.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

after nearly 2 years of not being able to play CDs since that part of the stereo died, I'm finally getting a new stereo head unit next week. Unfortunately cassette has been relegated to the betamax bin by the auto audio industry, a forsaken format if you will. The new stereo will have a CD slot (sigh, apparently multi-disc changers are also forgotten fossils) so I got that going for me. Yay.

And I gain a USB port. I can plug in thumb drives (probably my most likely format) or my iPhone. Now I want to check out my mixes so here's the problem. When I try to bounce or export from my DAW to iTunes, weird crap keeps happening. I know it's operator error but I can't fire him.

It shouldn't be rocket science, all I want is a CD quality transfer so preferably not MP3. I used to be able to plug in cables to my patch bay and send my audio to a tape deck, I'm looking for the digital version of that.

Old fart here, I don't do anything wth the Cloud or Google drive. I want it all 'in house'. I don't know anything about the various soundclick or whatever y'all use to post your music with. I'm trying to not inflict my music upon an unsuspecting population by accident. I just want to be able to listen to it in my car.

ZlurkCorzDog and circles like this.
  2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I’ve surrendered to not having my music “in house.” I resisted for a while, but it just got too hard.

circles likes this.
  3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I don’t think your stereo is going to read WAV so the format you’ll want to use will likely be MP3.

I’m using Reaper DAW. Whenever I want to sample a mix, I’ll render it to MP3 with a high quality setting and then play it through whatever device is appropriate. I forget what plugin I’m using for mastering but I do have one that does a reasonable job of smoothing out the dynamics.

4. Andrew Wasson

The above should get you a thumb drive for your stereo.

If you want to do a music CD, render the tracks to WAV and then if your PC has a CDRom reader/burner, you should be able to make a music CD with it. I haven’t done that for ages myself.

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

Many players will read OGG Vorbis, OGG Opus, and FLAC files, all better than junk like MP3. FLAC is a bit of overkill though, since it's lossless. If you really want CD quality it's the one to use though.

Or you could keep the files on your phone and play them from there into the car system.

CalicoSkies, Stratoskater and Robins like this.
  6. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

if you are willing to pay $19.99 per month for a streaming service Tidal streams CD quality..that's what i use:

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/203055911-High-Fidelity-HiFi-Sound

just make sure you download the albums at home with wifi, so you can listen to them when you're off wifi, unless you have unlimited data on your phone

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  7. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

double post

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

For me it's simple, I mix down to .wav, and then burn them to a disc using Windows built in burner in Media Player, or transfer to a thumb drive - boom done. The stereo in your car should be able to play that from a thumb drive....if it can't, or can't even detect files, it means it only plays MP3's

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I was a big cassette user for a long time, then they were all stolen. I didn't feel like rebuilding.

Stratafied likes this.
  10. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Pandora in the car !!

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Find out what formats the player supports (yes, read the manual), render your tracks in one of those formats to a USB stick and play from that in your car.

pazman6, JB74, duzie and 1 other person like this.
  12. Andrew Wasson

I think this is what the rest of us were trying but failed to put into words. A nice concise sentence that should do the job. This is often the way my music buddy and I review mixdowns.

13. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Is the player Bluetooth? Pair your phone with it, and play whatever you want on your phone. If you can get the media to your phone, and your phone can play it the format doesn't matter as it is simply sending an audio signal to the head at that point.

Also this involves zero cables.

14. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-Talker

I finally caved and got SiriusXM, it's really cool, no regrets. The receiver was part of the car when I got it though.

Jmart1212 likes this.
  15. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

Blue tooth is the way..or an 8 track with 6x9 Jensens.

henderman and Andrew Wasson like this.
  16. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I am old and have all my music "in house" and have had it that way for over two decades. I "ripped" all my cd's into the antique windows media (wma format) at a 192 size and in the car, and thru home audio it is all good.

Wound_Up likes this.
  17. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Unfortunately CD players are no longer an option in some new vehicles.

Sucks.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  18. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I've surrendered and moved to Sirius satelite radio. I've been a subscriber for 4 years thru 2 vehicles and I'll never go back. Channels 38 and 39 (classic hard rock and hair rock) suit me well, and 40 and 41 are heavy metal with a more current sound (the nearly constant guttural screaming is annoying--most of those bands need to fire their current "vocalists" and replace them with anyone who's ever listened to Halford or Dio). Channel 34 is 90s alternative and grunge. 27 is "Deep Tracks" where I've discovered some stuff I hadn't heard before. 18 is the Beatles channel, and 17 is "The Bridge" where you'll here softer stuff, but the musicianship is top-notch (think Steely Dan, Billy Joel, and Hall & Oates...and then wait it out thru Carole King and Bread until you get a few good songs). In the current format, I have 12 presets available...8 are programmed to music and 4 to sports.

I haven't had a CD player the entire time, but at least I haven't had to put up with local garbage radio playing the same 3 Skynyrd songs and the worst from Boston over and over again.

19. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

My old man just bought a 2001 Jaguar that has a cassette player that says "Jaguar" on it lol. They knew that in 2001 a lot of rich old guys wanted to listen to their tapes while driving to the Florida golf course hahahahaha.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  20. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-O-Master

Second that!
    I have pandora premium and wherever my phone goes I have music in my shop or either car, or anywhere in my house. It’s awesome. I personally don’t understand why people like XM, I think Pandora is superior but my wife likes it. If you can’t search and save a particular song, what good is it but other people’s programming (XM)? It’s like religious war about those two services at my house. After your programmed “playlist” is done on Pandora the autoplay kicks in so can’t understand why XM can compete. Maybe someone can explain it to me :thumbd:.

While my Cad has the ability to have Pandora on its on, the phone and Bluetooth connection seems to work as well.

Also, I believe that the newer Apple stuff is MP4, and it sounds superior to a MP3. I’ve done that to Flashdrive and it’s worked in both Cads I’ve owned. Also the iPod seemed to Bluetooth as well to many cars and worked great (MP4). Just tried it on two newer Lincoln products and worked flawlessly.