Join Strat-Talk Today

Luthier Question

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by CadillacBob, May 22, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

1. CadillacBob

CadillacBob Strat-Talk Member

Hi Guys, I took the neck off my guitar last night. I was just curious to see what was in the neck pocket because I just got it, my neck relief is fine.
    So, I was just wondering to all those who do set ups and work on guitars, if you see paint in the neck pocket and on the neck like this, would you do something to get rid of it or just leave it?
    Its definitely raised up very slightly, I can feel it with my finger. I'm guessing it happens sometimes in production. Guitar is set up fine as it is, so for now I just left it. The other guitars I have had were all clean.
    Thanks

neck paint.jpg

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Modern Day Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

It's a little overspray. I normally will use a razor blade and scrape it out. hold the blade perpendicular to the pocket and not at any kind of angle so you don't gouge it. then when I get it close, I will use a fine sand paper and gently sand the last bit off. Don't try to take all the color off but just take it to the wood. the color has also seeped into the grain so taking all of the color out will cause you to deform the pocket.

Michael919, 3bolt79, Bowmap and 3 others like this.
  3. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i agree just a light cleaning to rid of the overspray and you are back in the race.

3bolt79 and Bowmap like this.
  4. CadillacBob

Thanks for the advice guys. Next time the neck is off I will clean it up....very carefully ;)

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-O-Master

@Believer7713 and @henderman, I have a question that is part curiosity and part devil's advocate. What would it hurt to just leave it alone? I ask this because I have cost myself some amount of time and money over the years fixing trivial issues, that in the broad scheme of things, didn't appear to matter. The money and time came from either fixing my "fixes", or my attempt at fixes created a larger problem. To me, this item is just something that had I not been curious what was under the neck, I would't know, and if the guitar was playing to my satisfaction before I removed the neck, I'd leave well enough alone. But that is just me.

To @CadillacBob, back in the day, I would have tried to remove the paint. Carefully, to be sure, but there is always a chance of causing another problem in the repair. As a friend of mine told me then, "You just can't leave sleeping dogs lie."; I caused myself some amount of grief because of that inability. However, over time, some of my OCD has self-cured, and "adequate for purpose" became something I could embrace in lieu of "perfect". So, for me, this would be one of those times when I would just put the neck back on. But, I don't do lutherie for a living, and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

nadzab and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd just leave it alone, it's not hurting anything. But then, this is

ifitaint.jpg

Stratwrangler, duzie, Miotch and 3 others like this.
  7. Believer7713

If it is playing fine then there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving it well enough alone at all. I am just rather particular about stuff like that.

Miotch and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This.
    There is absolutely no reason for there to be a "next time" to remove the neck unless the truss rod needs to be adjusted and can't be adjusted at the headstock (looks to be the case).
    I have guitars that I've owned since the 80s that have NEVER had the neck removed.

Removing that little bit of paint may not change anything, or it may change the neck angle enough to require a shim, or readjust the saddles to lower the action.

It ain't broke... don't break it.
    It is no different from most every other Fender body on the planet.

nadzab, Blue Beagle, Miotch and 3 others like this.
  9. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Neck is held on with sheet metal type screws (not tapered wood screws) so the number of neck removals is finite without repairing the holes. Curiosity just used up one of those neck removals.

3bolt79, CB91710 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  10. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

as a guy that does finish work i would not let that leave my shop but truth is
    it will not hurt anything, it worked good with it there before you even knew about it.

Miotch, 3bolt79 and Believer7713 like this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

I don't understand the "I took the neck off my new guitar just to see what was under there" syndrome that seems so frequent on guitar forums.

Bladesg, duzie, Blue Beagle and 2 others like this.
  12. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-O-Master

Every connected joint is finite, but point taken, some have many more removals than others. OTOH, I have no idea what that number is. I have had the neck of my first Strat Partscaster off multiple times (because of the 22 fret neck and the hard AL shield plate, I cannot get the scratch guard up without removing the neck, and I've done several mods to the guitar requiring removal of the scratch guard. The joint seems to be holding up just fine.

Of course if you get to the point where the neck need repair, one could go to the insert/machine screw type connection, and get a much larger finite number of removals.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd leave it be.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. CadillacBob

To @CadillacBob, back in the day, I would have tried to remove the paint. Carefully, to be sure, but there is always a chance of causing another problem in the repair. As a friend of mine told me then, "You just can't leave sleeping dogs lie."; I caused myself some amount of grief because of that inability. However, over time, some of my OCD has self-cured, and "adequate for purpose" became something I could embrace in lieu of "perfect". So, for me, this would be one of those times when I would just put the neck back on. But, I don't do lutherie for a living, and my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I also have bad OCD, so my first thought was to go grab some sand paper and knife and get rid of the paint... but I stopped myself and thought I would check with you guys first. Thanks for your opinion.

Correct. The next time the neck would be removed would be to do a neck adjustment.
    Curiosity to take the neck off was more to authenticate it :thumb:

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

I can think of two reasons. Curious and fear. Curious because some people like OP simply like to know and fear because there are very many fake guitars in the world now. Some buyers want reassurance that their guitar is genuine and everything will be positioned under the microscope and discussed in the forums.

3bolt79 and CadillacBob like this.
  16. Believer7713

The best way to fix that is to buy neck-thru builds only. If one removes the neck on one of them then you really have done something you shouldn't have.

Thrup'ny Bit and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Perhaps having the neck broken off my guitar and having to repair it before I could screw it back on and play it again, all those years ago, taught me something...

3bolt79 and Believer7713 like this.
  18. DeMelo

DeMelo Senior Stratmaster

Your neck has been worked on/inspected by the same Corona plant employée as mine. Cool!

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. CadillacBob

That is cool :thumb:

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

On my next build I will stamp the neck pocket... 'Property of La Cosa Nostra'.

Thrup'ny Bit and 3bolt79 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.