Made in Mexico fret edges

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
LOL. Nice trollin'. They should either give you an award or warn you for that.
Harley Benton.
LOL!

Nobody's trolling. You probably need to join modern society and realize other companies make good guitars. Companies like Thomann(Harley Benton). It's not 1972 anymore.

HSH Classic Vibe

Strat-Talker
May 29, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Yes, my Brad Paisley Telecaster came this way, and I also note that the fretboard edge is not rolled/rounded. Not sharp fret ends, just not "finished" with a rolled fretboard as I would have expected on a pretty expensive MIM signature "Road Worn" Telecaster. I learned long ago to do my own set-ups and fretwork. I have definitely noticed more and more that brand new guitars are just not including these finishing steps anymore (notably Gibson and Fender). I will send Fender my bill for finishing their job. 🤨
AFAIK the only MIM guitars ever made that actually had rolled fretboards as a feature are the current Player Plus. Fender claims rolled edges on the pages for those, and does not on, for example, the Brad Paisley Road Worn. So regardless of price, I don't think it's fair to expect that of any other MIM Fenders.

HSH Classic Vibe

Strat-Talker
May 29, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Nobody's trolling. You probably need to join modern society and realize other companies make good guitars. Companies like Thomann(Harley Benton). It's not 1972 anymore.
Nope. I have a friend that has the Prince Madcatz clone. We both marvel at people who don't own Classic Vibes and actually believe HB is on that level. And since I own Squiers, Godin and Ibanez guitars and basses -- all made after 2008 -- I obviously don't think it's 1972 anymore. Maybe you need to not assume anything about what society I've joined and instead learn a bit more about where HB actually fits in, quality wise.

And yes, Wound_up, claiming that "Fender sucks" and holding HB above them IS trollin' or unintentionally hilarious at best. HB isn't Squier, let alone Fender!

Doc538

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
Literally bleeding? They were that sharp?

YUP! when it started I had to leave after cleaning the guitar. They don't like you putting guitars back with blood on them

rlongnt

Strat-O-Master
Apr 26, 2018
Edmond, OK
I just bought a MIM built on Feb 10, 2022. GC special run flame top blue Player HSS. Almost all of the 2021 MIM Player series frets felt sharp and really bad but this one was amazing. Better than my USA Standard even. I don’t know if it’s a fluke or they finally got their act together. It’s one of the only guitars I’ve ever bought that I didn’t clean the frets up on. I may need to next winter when the air dries out we’ll see.

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
Most of this is due to the fretboards drying out during shipping and while waiting to be sold. I live in Michigan. My house gets super dry in the winter. Dressing fret ends is something I learned to do a long time ago. My advice to every guitar player is to buy decent tools and learn how to maintain your guitars.
Yes but I disagree.
The fretboard drying thing .
All my guitars have great fretboards, including my MIM Baja, but it’s an old one. All these guitars are in the same environment that’s is same humidity level. I see 3 reasons, bad workmanship, using improperly dried wood, the factory location is somewhere that is more humid than most of the rest of the world, so yes the wood dries out after leaving the factory, somehow I don’t see Mexico as a dry place, I could be wrong.
It’s a relatively easy fix but at the price point it shouldn’t exist.
Anyways, that’s my opinion

nigelr

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 28, 2014
Switzerland
I recently bought a Vintera Tele and Vintera Strat, obviously both MIM. The neck/frets on the Strat are pretty good, no complaints there, but the Tele (which cost 200 euro more) is not so good. The Tele is road worn, so I would have expected better fretwork TBH. Both are great guitars and compete very well with MIA instruments I've had in the past. I have to say that the fretwork on my much cheaper MIC Ibanez guitars is much better than Fender MIM though.

walter01

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
LOL. Nice trollin'. They should either give you an award or warn you for that.
Harley Benton.
LOL!
Do not mock until you try my friend! I have collected over 30 guitars in my long musical life. I am still rockin’ it professionally in France at 78. I bought a Harley Les Paul copy out of curiosity, for très moins cher. ( cheap) . 149 euros. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and the playability straight out of the box. No ****! So mon ami, I am not a bloody troll, just giving you the facts dude.

Attachments

• 19E835A0-5C3C-4D1C-A122-1159A21C2317.jpeg
    19E835A0-5C3C-4D1C-A122-1159A21C2317.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 57FC2708-F643-4D83-B127-0F648812C675.jpeg
    57FC2708-F643-4D83-B127-0F648812C675.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 8

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Do not mock until you try my friend! I have collected over 30 guitars in my long musical life. I am still rockin’ it professionally in France at 78. I bought a Harley Les Paul copy out of curiosity, for très moins cher. ( cheap) . 149 euros. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and the playability straight out of the box. No ****! So mon ami, I am not a bloody troll, just giving you the facts dude.

Which are you’re personal facts. I’d take a classic vibe squier over a Harley Benton. The quality on those are awesome. Is that actual facts or just my personal experience?

StratsoundFan

Strat-Talker
Aug 13, 2021
Norway
My Harley Benton st-62 felt like a really well made guitar for the first couple of months. Aftrr that, some frets started slowly to wear, the nut cracked near the g string, tuning posts started to pop out. Lots of issues for what was basicaly a brand new guitar.

walter01

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
My Harley Benton st-62 felt like a really well made guitar for the first couple of months. Aftrr that, some frets started slowly to wear, the nut cracked near the g string, tuning posts started to pop out. Lots of issues for what was basicaly a brand new guitar.
Sorry about that mate. Bummer. I have had Gibsons that go rogue after some time. I had a Norlin ‘Paul Custom I bought from new ( Yes, I am that old!) After a year or so, it started to rot between the nut and the first fret! I’m sure it got heavier as well! 12.5 pounds when I got rid of it. So far, My Harley still rocks after 3 years constant use. You musta got a Friday night special. You can never tell.

Hanson

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2016
Mesquite, Texas
Sorry about that mate. Bummer. I have had Gibsons that go rogue after some time. I had a Norlin ‘Paul Custom I bought from new ( Yes, I am that old!) After a year or so, it started to rot between the nut and the first fret! I’m sure it got heavier as well! 12.5 pounds when I got rid of it. So far, My Harley still rocks after 3 years constant use. You musta got a Friday night special. You can never tell.
My first Gibson LP bought new was a 1981. I guess it is considered Norlin years. It was actually a really great guitar. I wish I still had that one.

HSH Classic Vibe

Strat-Talker
May 29, 2022
Republic of Squierland
Yes but I disagree.
The fretboard drying thing .
All my guitars have great fretboards, including my MIM Baja, but it’s an old one. All these guitars are in the same environment that’s is same humidity level. I see 3 reasons, bad workmanship, using improperly dried wood, the factory location is somewhere that is more humid than most of the rest of the world, so yes the wood dries out after leaving the factory, somehow I don’t see Mexico as a dry place, I could be wrong.
It’s a relatively easy fix but at the price point it shouldn’t exist.
Anyways, that’s my opinion
Ensenada, where Fender makes its MIMs, is a very humid place. It makes sense that they would dry out being shipped to the kinds of places these guitars are stored before arriving at your (bleeding) fingertips. Indiana, for example, is where Sweetwater has them although they will soon open a distribution center in the even less humid Glendale, Arizona. If the guitar leaves the factory without fret sprout and then develops it as the wood contracts, is that bad workmanship? Bad workmanship can be the reason for fret ends like that. So can humidity. The price point is irrelevant in the latter case. And the effect (wood contracting due to humidity leaving to fret sprout) can happen to any guitar made in any (custom) shop anywhere in the world. The only guitar that I ever returned because of excessive fret sprout (both side of the fretboard at nearly every fret) was a Fender, and it wasn't a MIM either.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
The quality of Harley Benton, Inyen Vina, and Eart is unmatched in my opinion. I have a Eart SSS. I changed the pickups and wiring but zero fret sprout and level frets.
20220629_124949.jpg
I have several IYV guitars. All have zero fret sprout and level frets.
20220629_125104.jpg
20220629_125010.jpg
And this is a Harley Benton.
20220629_124904.jpg
Can you believe the flame maple neck on an HB? Yep quality workmanship is a thing of beauty.
I dont care if you wanna lie to yourself. Just quit lieing about them to jjustify your own guitar on the forums.
They are the real deal. Whether you like it or not.

alainvey

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 31, 2015
London, UK
I'll take a good base that might need some fret touchups (MIM) over a well-polished guitar made from super cheap components (Eart) any day. Guitars like the Eart have a place in this world but their ceiling is always going to be lower than something that costs more because of the component quality sacrifices made to get them that cheap.

It is also my sneaking suspicion that the Earts are not going to be what they are long term. It feels like they are going in hard to gain a spot in the market and at some point they won't be able to give that much hand-finishing for the price any longer.
I don’t see any significant different between Eart and MIM Fender when it comes to the important things - neck and body.

All the other components are easily replaceable. I would rather have a guitar with a great neck and body but bad pickups and unreliable electronics than the other way around (for more than 2x the price!)

alainvey

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 31, 2015
London, UK
The quality of Harley Benton, Inyen Vina, and Eart is unmatched in my opinion. I have a Eart SSS. I changed the pickups and wiring but zero fret sprout and level frets.
View attachment 573216
I have several IYV guitars. All have zero fret sprout and level frets.
View attachment 573217
View attachment 573218
And this is a Harley Benton.
View attachment 573219
Can you believe the flame maple neck on an HB? Yep quality workmanship is a thing of beauty.
I dont care if you wanna lie to yourself. Just quit lieing about them to jjustify your own guitar on the forums.
They are the real deal. Whether you like it or not.
What bothers me about the Earts is the inconsistent fret placement - your photo shows it quite well, but some users have it even worse.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
What bothers me about the Earts is the inconsistent fret placement - your photo shows it quite well, but some users have it even worse.
Ok I will play. What is inconsistent about it and how does it affect playability. Which is excellent on this particular guitar.
Phil from know your gear said it best about an Eart guitar he reviewed.
This guitar (the Eart) is proof you are paying too much for a brand name.

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
I'm an EOB owner who agrees. Very sharp, annoying edges. I can't imagine anyone happy with this neck in that regard.

5NoteStrat

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 8, 2022
New York
MIM fret work at best is meh . My classic series lacquer frets we're awful and the material was not of high quality at all , got 2 years out those frets on a brand new guitar before refret .

Ronnie Fn D

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 1, 2022
Valrico FL
I wonder if other hobbies have the same amount of people that used diaper sniff? I've never seen so many people feel the need to tell you that thier $49 guitar is better than your $4900 guitar lol. Who gives a ****? You bought 37 guitars for the same price some of us paid for one, awesome....go enjoy them lol.