Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Make ANY humbucker sound like a single coil in 2 minutes.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ITSGOTQUACK, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
  2. oakhills

oakhills Strat Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 7, 2009
    Bay Area
    pretty cool, I wish I had a humbucker guitar to try it on, I got rid of all of them

3. TunedGator

TunedGator Strat-Talker

Mar 13, 2011
    Lyon, France
    I had never heard of it before, thanks a lot for sharing! Does sound a lot like a Tele!

I go happy screwing now!

I like all your vids Scott! Thanks for taking the time to explain all the basics, you've helped a lot of people I'm sure!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

Dec 25, 2008
    Co Down, N. Ireland
    How does this differ from a coil tap apart from the obvious work involved? surely just eliminating a coil from a pickup is essentially what a coil tap does.. but coil tapped buckers never sound like that, I'm confused... I'm not looking for flaws, just genuinely don't understand the difference..

6. blackstrat

blackstrat Senior Stratmaster

Nov 9, 2009
    Greece
    That was really brilliant ITSGOTQUACK!! I have not seen that either and I'm a big fan of this kind of stuff..

By removing the polepieces, the second coil loses its ability to sense the strings (and therefore produce sound) but the windings remain in the circuit and that provides hum cancellation. Also, it takes away a few highs as the signal has to travel through more wire. Some of the stacked pickups use this concept but the second coil in a different physical position.

7. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    A tapped humbucker never sounds like a REAL humbucker once you introduce that circuitry into it, plus, the single coil never really sounds like a true single coil either. It's just the trade off you make in order for the extra sounds. The MAIN thing is that you simply don't have to alter your axe in any way. No little toggle switches, no having to put pickups in your guitar that are actually ABLE to be split, no chaning over to push/pull pots. So, those who have pickups that can't be split can do this, those that want to keep their axe 100% original (and solder joints count big time these days) don't have to worry about that when using this, since they won't be doing any rewiring at all. It's just a really quick and easy way that folks can get "THAT" sound on ANY humbucker in the world. Pretty cool!

8. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Thank you my friend. I just had to drop in and post this one. I was really excited about it and thought some of the kids and bigger kids would have a lot of fun with this right away. I know I was grinning when I plugged that V in and it actually TWANGED at me. lol

9. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-Talker

May 14, 2008
    Texas
    Mega props, man! Simple and elegant, and one of those "Why hadn't anyone thought of this before?" things-- heck, humbuckers have been around for over half a century! The only downside is that it's not as easy as flipping a switch on the fly so it's sort of an either/or proposition, but retaining the humbucker functionality is a major plus.

You deserve naming rights for this idea (and all the fame & fortune it brings)!

Congratulations!

10. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
  11. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    Interesting although I cringe at the idea of thinning out the tone on a perfectly good Gibson...they were meant to have those humbuckers in them(ha!)!!!.I would also say that it sounds Tele-ish...classic Tele licks would work on it but the genuine Telecaster tone and vibe could only come from a real Telecaster.Your modded Gibson still has a thicker tone than a traditional Tele would...the midrangy Gibson vibe is still there.A truly convincing Tele tone comes not only from it's pickups but from the body design,scale length,wood choice(ash or alder with maple and/or rosewood fretboard)and the all important metal bridge plate.

Still your idea is practical for someone who can't buy a genuine Tele and is willing to sacrifice their humbucker's meatiness to achieve an approximation of a Tele tone...maybe a Metal player who just joined a Country band and only has a humbucker guitar.

12. borismcorpheus

borismcorpheus Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2010
    Ithaca, NY
    I think some Gibson LP's have this split (?) coil feature built-in and controlled via a push-pull pot. The LP traditional pro plus comes to mind...

13. GrillSgt

GrillSgt New Member!

Jun 16, 2012
    Montana
    I think I try on Tele HH.

14. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    "Make ANY humbucker sound like a single coil in 2 minutes."

Yet the video is 12 minutes :p

Very cool!

15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    fast forward to 7:15 to get the answer.

You're welcome

;)

Sweet video, sweet idea, and I love your Antigua in the back. Cool story behind that, too.

I'm gonna change pickups on my Dot anyway, might as well try this out beforehand and see how she sounds.

And to amend on the original title: It can't work for every HB. some ceramic ones don't have the screw pole pieces.

This is a FREAKING BRILLIANT idea. So simple.

16. ozzmcom

ozzmcom Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2012
    nyc
    yeah that vid certainly didn't take 2 mins

17. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    No it didn't. This guy has a monumental idea, though. Very awesome. Coil tapping with no wiring changes.

18. BHighkin

BHighkin Senior Stratmaster

Aug 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    This dude spent like ten minutes apologizing if this has been done before.

19. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    haha. But it's all good. Had a sweet idea, and as far as I'm concerned, he can have the rights to his intellectual property.

I'd like to hear Allen or Reilander's take on this. Pretty novel.

20. tabdog

tabdog Strat-Talker

May 26, 2011
    Bryant, Arkansas
    Boy!!!

Thanks for sharing,

Tabdog

21. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Sure they do, I own a few, I actually showed one in the video, but not everybody can afford that luxury, therefore the poor man's version in the video.