Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Make ANY humbucker sound like a single coil in 2 minutes.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ITSGOTQUACK, Jun 18, 2012.

1. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Yes I did, so what? It's a disclaimer and it's in the moment of excitement. Big deal.:rolleyes:

2. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    No it didn't, that's why there is the little bar at the bottom. For people who want the answer fast. It's really simple, click on the progress bar and it will skip WAY AHEAD IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO DO.:rolleyes:

3. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    For the kind people in here that understand and appreciate this for what it was intended for.....Thanks for watching! Much appreciated!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. The Shedder

The Shedder Senior Stratmaster

Apr 1, 2011
    Ireland
    Thats a great idea. I was pleasantly suprised.

6. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah man! Cool...! It sounds great. I wouldn't personally ever really have the need for this, but I think it's awesome.

7. Stratamacaster

Stratamacaster Strat-Talk Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I just did this to my HSS strat. I like it alot

8. Jfernan

Jfernan Senior Stratmaster

Iam assuming you can just screw them back in whenever you want, right? Also, what if you just did one humbucker?

9. davidKOS

davidKOS Obsessed Musician Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    Well, nice idea, but I'd rather just play a Tele and leave my humbuckers alone.

10. jewfresus

jewfresus Senior Stratmaster

May 16, 2011
    Colorado
    I'm doing this. I want a tele pretty bad, and have a humbucker guitar handy.

11. barellano

barellano Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2009
    MD
    Good stuff man. I can't believe how good that sounded, or that I've never seen anyone ever do or even talk about doing that before.

12. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I probably wouldn't remove the pole pieces from the bridge pup, but I'd definitely give it a try on the neck pup.

Thanks!!!

13. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Then why bother to say anything?

14. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Yes, just screw them back in and you're good. If you only do one....then you have a humbucker and a single coil.

15. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Yeah, it was just a "DUH" moment. You know how your fart around with these things your whole like, do all the typical mods, wreck a few, make a few great, then comes along the most obvious solution. It's best because it's free and reversible. Very cool. If nobody has heard, someone mentioned to take out the screws on the bridge pickup (same as in the video) on the EAD strings, then take out the screws (if you have 2 rows of them like these) on the GBE strings on the other coil instead. This would actully give you a lot closer representation of the Telecaster's slanted pickup. Cool idea and a BIG THANKS to whoever suggested that!

16. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    YOU ARE WHO THIS WAS MEANT FOR! Please report back in. I would love to hear from someone who could actually USE this information and really NEEDS it. Thanks my friend!

17. jewfresus

jewfresus Senior Stratmaster

May 16, 2011
    Colorado
    I did it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I really hated my bridge pickup, but like my neck alright, and so I just played with the bridge. So much happier with this guitar. You're right, about 80% like a tele. Only bad part is the loss in volume. It was way quieter than my neck pickup, to get them to balance I had to put my neck on 7 and my bridge on 10, but that should be fixed if I play with heights. This guitar will actually get some use now. I think it needs some TLC first, but still.

18. Hugh

Hugh My Champ Beat Up Your Dumble Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville Kentucky
    Cool little mod. As far as volume drop, I suppose the results will vary depending on the model of pup. Clean boost pedal ought to take care of that.... or a decent compressor.

19. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

that is a damn lovely V man.. friggen perfect

nice vid too

20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    I did this to my epi SG today. I noticed a really big twang difference on the in-between position. Only changed the neck. Prefer the humbucker in the bridge. This might save me a pickup change!

21. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    I'm glad a lot of you are trying it. That's what it's all about. If it works for you.....groovy! If not, you didn't lose anything but a couple of minutes out of your life. My Gibson's have never sounded so good! lol I have a triple humbucker Explorer (stock) that is just begging to have me try it. This guitar will be scary close to hitting the STRAT sounds. This will be the TRUE test of all this. Check out this axe in it's original form. It's the only one known to have been made. For those of you who have done the screw mod, you can already imagine what this will sound like. I'll do it and post a little video of how it turns out. So, here's the "BEFORE" video!
    1978 Gibson Explorer 3 Pickup Guitar Review By Scott Grove - YouTube