Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Make ANY humbucker sound like a single coil in 2 minutes.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ITSGOTQUACK, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Stratznhatz

Stratznhatz Strat-Talker

May 1, 2012
    High Peak, UK

+1 on this.

I've never been a fan of the tone of most neck humbuckers, yet the neck s/coil on a Strat is one of my fave tones.
    Great idea and so simple to do!

Thanks for sharing.:)

2. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

Dec 25, 2008
    Co Down, N. Ireland
    Really hope you build that guitar with the varitone and coil splitting, I'd love to see how it turns out and sounds :)

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Chicago
    Hmm,.....

I've wondered how a Single Coil will sound in the neck of an LP.

I'm looking at 3 LP's and a screwdriver,......

Tempting,....tempting.....

Once I talk to a few people and ensure there's no way damage can be caused to the windings or the pup I think I might have to try this.

Thanks for the suggestion Scott.

5. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 5, 2009
    texas
    Admin Post
    hb bobbins aren't like the old SCs, the wire is wrapped around a solid form.

6. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Chicago
    so this is completely safe and can do no damage whatsoever?

7. stratofortress

stratofortress Strat-O-Master

Jun 15, 2011
    MARYLAND
    This is a great idea and thanks for bringing it to here via video.Cant wait to get home and try it..I have stared at those screws many many times wondering what if...You're a pretty entertaining guy too..great video:p

8. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Chicago
    tried it on the S. Duncans in my LTD.

Worked very well, very neat trick.

Pulled out a lot of wax along with the screws, not sure if that will be a problem down the line.

At the moment I'm having much fun making a LP/LTD "twang."

Thanks for the trick, that's one for the books.

9. chrisrae

chrisrae Strat-O-Master

HOLY....WOW. so simple yet sooooo effective...I applaud this man forever.

10. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Chicago
    Interesting take on it from Rayne at MHD....in 2009, lol.

No Screws / Then With Screws. Back to back. clean - YouTube

his comment, "Just put a push pull pot in the guitar, or if it is 4 conductor wire the tap to the hot lug. All you get from removing the adjustable screws is a tad bit and I mean a tad bit more treble."

Still, it's a neat effect. I'll be leaving the screws out of my LTD for awhile to play around with.

11. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2009
    UK
    Never liked the sound of coil splits on humbuckers - this sounds much better! Great idea. I guess by removing the screws - as well as deactivating one coil and turning it into a dummy coil (maintaining the overall impedance), you are also changing the magnetic flux pattern a lot - which I think is one of the things that gives a humbucker its characteristic sound. With only one row of poles, the magnetic flow should be a lot more similar to a single coil pattern.

12. EvolutionOfZero

EvolutionOfZero Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    This is a really neat idea :)

13. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2009
    California.
    It does not always work. A set designed for coil splitting can and should give you the same affect.

By the way I am Rayne from MHD and that was done with WCR Goodwods. and in person it was almost unoticable.

14. MrGANator100

MrGANator100 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Man I wish I didn't own just strats haha but this is an awesome idea! Scott! Nice to see you on strat talk again!

15. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 30, 2010
    Melbourne Australia

16. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Thanks guys. I'm glad to see so many of you trying it out. I've been getting videos sent to me from folks trying it all around the world. Some great results going on out there. That is the superb thing about the internet. Just a fun little idea like this and EVERYBODY can have some fun and possibly come up with something that is just a blast to try. The changing of the resistance described in the 2nd video should REALLY prove to be the ticket. I'm going to go with the 6 way switch and try all different resistance values (one guy actually suggested the infamous 420k POT value) LMAO Why not? Happy Screwing all!

17. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Shouldn't give you the same thing at all. Different concept. The video with the guy on the Flying V sounded like he just started playing that day. It was a horrible demonstration actually.

18. Jazzjoker

Jazzjoker Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2011
    Greece
    Amazing idea my friend. I'm a single coil fanatic but I'm really impressed. Well thought.

19. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2009
    California.
    Actually Scott that was done like that intentionally to show that the same picking for each way will give minimal results. And yes a set designed for tapping WILL give the same results. I have been designing them for a few years now with great results. I am not arguing the fact that some sets WILL indeed benefit more from this for the single coil quack but not all will.

Not trying to stir the pot it is just what i have seen from lets call it close to 5 years of winding and assembling various pups.

I was under the impression that you merely removed the pole screws so it is the same concept. Here is the deal when you remove =just the pole pieces you change how the eddy current reacts within the plate to screw so you will get a different tone. Pending parts used you will get different results. If you shorten the pole screws you can often smooth out a pickup. FYI if you put stainless poles in it will furthure change the tonal style of the pickup.

By the way Scott thank you again for the lessons you sent. I am still trying to wrap my head around the chicken picken one.

20. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2009
    California.
    And buy the way you are still pulling from the second coil unless they are coil split.