Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Make ANY humbucker sound like a single coil in 2 minutes.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by ITSGOTQUACK, Jun 18, 2012.

1. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2009
    California.
  2. copperheadroads

copperheadroads Strat-Talker

Mar 17, 2010
    Botwood/NL/Canada
    I was playing with this Idea a couple years ago & also removing 3 screws , also I modified my baseplate so I could just push some or all the slug poles down or even out the bottom of the pickup
    I didn't think & still don't think any of this is a revolutionary breakthrough by any means.

3. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Strat-Talk Member

Wow. But I have no exposed coil humbucker guitars anymore.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. smokinalder

smokinalder Strat-Talk Member

Oct 1, 2010
    BC, Canada
    Light bulb moment! Simple, and hiding right in plain sight all these years. Way to go!

6. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2011
    mission viejo, ca
    tried it on my godin freeway sa that I just got and it works well, sounds better than coil tap and no noise.

7. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Has anybody watched the end of the second video yet? I'm guessing not since nobody has commented on the varitone selectable resistance. This has yet to be done with this whole concept. Somebody please watch the whole video, the entire concept and stop concentrating on the screws for a moment. Look at the BIG PICTURE part of the 2nd video. The video with the Explorer. Yeah, like the last 3 minutes of it. Thanks.

8. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    Interesting idea. Lot's of chit chat. You can skip the first 7 minutes. Thanks NickMSmith!

I have no clue how to get the pickup covers off my LP copy...evidently, it's not an easy conversion (or impossible) compared to the open humbucker type with two rows of screws.

9. Zooker

Zooker Strat-Talker

Dec 22, 2010
    North Idaho
    I'm going to pull the cover on the middle humbucker of my HHH Strat this weekend and remove the slugs. I'll post pics of the process when I'm done.

The pickup is an EPI HOTCH bridge and is pretty muddy. I want to try this mod and see what it sounds like.

[​IMG]

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    US
    Before I even had a soldering iron, I just stick a flat screw driver at the back of the hb between the cover and the base plate close to the solder point and twist. You just break the solder on both sides and the cover comes right off. That's how I did it in the older days on the Gibson hbs.

But, all you have to do is just remove the screws on the exposed side and turn the pup around and you get the same effect without removing the cover. The other coil work just as well under the cover.

11. Zooker

Zooker Strat-Talker

Dec 22, 2010
    North Idaho
    I put a utility knife blade on top of the solder joint between the cover and the pickup and I heat the solder joint from the cover side and when the solder joint softens up, I push the blade down between the cover and pickup.

12. Alan0354

Alan0354 Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    US
    I adviced people to on how to get 500K for HB and automatically switch to 250K when split. This mod is for Gibson type with 500K volume pot. I did this long time ago on my HSH strat. This is what post in another forum last month. The resistor value on the drawing should be 500K instead of 250K. I made the mistake in the drawing and I lost the drawing to re scan it:

FDP - Forum

And this is the circuit:

[​IMG]

Anyone that do coil splitting should do this mod, it is all wired on the same switch. This works exactly the same as if you have 500K volume pot for hb and 250K for single coil. This circuit allow you to select the north coil or the south coil at the two end position of the switch, then you get hb when the switch is in the middle.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  13. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Watch the second video. It too only takes a couple of minutes and you don't have to take the covers off. It's the very first thing on page 2 of this thread. The last 3 minutes of the video is where the GOOD STUFF is.

14. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    Just do this, exactly as shown in the video.

15. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    There you go. See, somebody is starting to get it. Now multiply that times 3. Using the 6 way varitone switch for 6 different resistance points instead of just 250 and 500.

16. ITSGOTQUACK

ITSGOTQUACK Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2011
    Nevada
    So very true. Sounds Way more convincing than coil splitting. Kind of the whole point to the FIRST video. A FREE MOD for that 2nd guitar that is collecting dust in the closet. Now you can breathe new life into it and have a groovy sounding axe out of what was once a nasty sounding heap and it will not set you back a single cent.

17. JohnnyL

JohnnyL Strat-O-Master

Dec 25, 2010
    Israel
  18. mulic3

mulic3 Strat-Talker

Jun 15, 2012
    Israel
    Did that in the neck position of my blacktop tele. I also flipped the pickup like you suggested so the working coil would be closer the the neck. I like it very much. Great idea! I was thinkin about a p90 there but now I might keep it like that. Thank you for sharing your wonderful idea!

19. nachosconqueso

nachosconqueso New Member!

Nov 26, 2012
    Alicante
    Hey! I know it's been a few months since the last post. but i just reached this thread and all of your videos appear as private. can you set them as public so more people can hear the difference? in my case i hace an sg at my parent's house in another city and if it sounds good i might aske them to send it over here to make the mod.
    thanks!

20. SmooveTaste

SmooveTaste Strat-Talk Member

Nov 24, 2012
    California
    I haven't read all of the replies, but what it seems you have stumbled upon is a way to quickly convert any humbucker with screws into a "noiseless" single coil, which is basically a humbucker with an inactive, noise-cancelling dummy coil. As far as it sounding like a Tele, it's close, but I think it's your playing that really gives it country Tele flavor. (Nice picking BTW.)

So yes, the concept was thought of long ago, but I didn't realize you could do it by removing the screws. Nice idea for someone who only has a guitar with humbuckers and wants to go for a different sound for recording or something. Thanks for sharing.

21. MrDon

MrDon Strat-Talker

Dec 3, 2012
    Ireland
    An excellent free mod.