Manchild strikes again...the deadbeat neighbor

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Sep 26, 2021.

1. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit!

Some of you may be familiar with the tales of my neighbor"Manchild". He is 52, I have known him for 10 years and he has never had a job the whole time. His income is from govt disabilty payments and he won't work because his handout will take a hit if he has income.

His truck has been stolen twice in as many months, the first time by a j. As it stands neithunkie girl he brought home who stole the keys and truck after he fell asleep. Cops found the truck and she is in jail.The second incident came to be when he sent the truck for a brake job and the guy doing the work took the truck, hid it, closed up shop sn moved overnight. Two weeks later the cops found the truck where it had been hidden and gave him a call telling him where to find it. He asked to borrow my car to go see it and half an hour later he returned , handed me my keys with the car key split open an the chip missing from inside. It will co$t a bunch to get a new chip coded and his level of accepting responsibility for his actions is essentially "your car, your problem" "I don't have any money, what do you want me to do?" My favourite deflection is "the key shouldn't do that, not my problem".

I am over it with the guy. He is at my door multiple times a day wanting smokes, coffee or food because he is broke all month a day after he gets his monthly payment. No good with money or responsibility. I will fix the car and cut him off unless I see some $$. As it stands, neither of us has a vehicle right now and I feel it is not my problem.No use enlisting "Luigi & Co." because a dog has no idea why you are hitting it, the dog only knows that it hurts.

Ideas?

Danny D, Stratafied, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  2. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You need a big fence...

Just say no in the future.

Stratbats, CtStrat, s5tuart and 7 others like this.
  3. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

Dude... You need to just cut that guy off. You should have long ago.

bbarott, CtStrat, Censport and 8 others like this.
  4. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

yeah, tell him straight to his face to eff off and never come to your door again for any reason.
    some people have a problem doing that, but i certainly do not.
    people will take and take and keep taking until you put a stop to it. then when you do, they will call you all sorts of things and paint you as the bad guy.
    he is toxic, and you dont need that crap.
    heres the crappy truth.....if you do not put a stop to it, then whatever happens next will be your fault.

telepraise, RHL87, Stratbats and 15 others like this.
  5. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

When he asks you for anything, just tell him you don't have any. He won't believe you, but that's my point. After a while he'll realise the well has dried up.

You've been very kind to that man. Some might say too kind.

Miotch, RHL87, bbarott and 11 others like this.
  6. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Just wondering...

How did the chip jump out of your car key? Most chipped keys are pretty stout. And, the chip by itself would be pretty useless.

Danny D, 3bolt79, Chuck8436 and 2 others like this.
  7. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

In there any scenario where Manchild could use it to steal @LPBlue's car? It struck me as a very unlikely thing to happen.

Danny D, fos1, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  8. jwag

jwag Strat-O-Master

Gotta stop enabling him, it’ll be the only way he stops depending on you to subsidize him. I don’t mind helping someone occasionally, I refuse to let it become a habit. I’m a single father with full custody of two girls in private school…not giving away what’s left because someone hasn’t done their part.

I also have had a simple rule beginning with the very first car I owned, NO ONE drives my vehicles…period. My Mother or Father were the only exceptions I ever made to this rule, and I highly doubt they drove one of mine more than a handful of times over the last thirty two years.

9. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

10. LPBlue

This is a replacement key from a locksmith and it can be snapped open which I guess he did without knowing until he handed me back the keys and I immediately told him what had happened which started the "not my problem" thing.

Danny D, fos1, 3bolt79 and 1 other person like this.
  11. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

To build on the idea @simoncroft , IF you choose to answer the door...let "No, I don't have any" be your standard greeting.

As @heltershelton said...he is toxic, no good can come from interaction with him. He sounds like a leech. Be done with him.

simoncroft, Cyberi4n, s5tuart and 9 others like this.
  12. Chuck8436

It blows my mind that you lent him your car. I would NEVER let someone drive my car except for maybe my best friend in an emergency. I didn't even let my ex drive my car.

13. LPBlue

Too smart to steal, but begging is okay for him.

14. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

so the next time he tries to bum stuff, just say no, and when he says hes out of money, just say, "not my problem".

15. Chuck8436

I wouldn't even answer the door. Seriously. Just like I don't answer when certain people go door to door in my neighborhood. If I do answer because they're in disguise, (it has happened more than once), I just cut them off and say "sorry, no thank you" or "Im very busy" and close the door. If I can help it, I always wear my creepiest band shirts when I answer the door for anyone. Lol

soulman969, Danny D, Wound_Up and 4 others like this.
  16. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

You've done your part. Over and again.

Cyberi4n, simoncroft, Danny D and 3 others like this.
  17. LPBlue

Too many times!

s5tuart, simoncroft, Danny D and 4 others like this.
  18. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Why is this being discussed? LP, you knew what you were setting yourself up for when ya loaned him your car...
    At this point...cut your losses and lock your door. Come spring, build a huge ass fence.

Danny D, fos1, Antstrat and 3 others like this.
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Just tell him no. That’s hard sometimes, but it still needs to be said, face to face.

s5tuart, JJ119, rolandson and 3 others like this.
  20. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I don't know him, but a missing chip that fits a key that uses a removable chip sounds very much like he wants the ability to borrow your car if you're not around to loan it to him.