Mandolin Brothers Appraised 1962 Fender Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Arcturus, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Arcturus

Arcturus Strat-Talk Member

This guitar is being offered by an owner who obtained an appraisal from Mandolin Brothers.

https://reverb.com/item/33943723-fender-vintage-stratocaster-1962-3-tone-sunburst

I am hesitant about making an offer due to two rewound pickups, no neck stamp, and no good pics with the right pot codes. Mandolin Brother is famous for an erroneous appraisal of a Gibson Les Paul burst. Gruhn would have been a better source for a written appraisal, but the dealer was closer to MB.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi, @Arcturus

Without date stamps/markings,and the appraisal coming from shop that was wrong about vintage Les Paul

I would be hesitant to risk that.

Alythough I am poor and sadly won't have a vintage any gear.

abnormaltoy and Arcturus like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't discount Mandolin Bros. as a source. Being wrong is the tuition you pay for getting educated in what is right. No one is born with subject matter expertise, and a decade or two in the business simply scratches the surface. I say this as a former antiques dealer and fine books dealer who understands that mistakes happen along the way.

That said, no one should be buying an $18K Fender without having some level of expertise. Know what you're doing. Don't rely solely on another subject matter expert, Mandolin Bros., Gruhn, etc.

Ask for more pics per what you know that *you* are looking for.

Good luck!

4. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Issues listed are correct.

Too expensive so forget about this one.

5. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

I'm always leary of a description that goes All original but....
    Everything is All original but.:) Even SRV's First wife strat.
    It's either all original or it's not, ths one is not all original.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    soulman969 and Arcturus like this.
  6. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah like those album credits that say: "All songs by Xxxx Xxxxxx" except... (goes on to list over half the album tracks)"

Wayne D., soulman969 and Arcturus like this.
  7. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I guess the rewound pickups explain the huge messy blob of solder on the volume pot.
    Assuming it's legit, how much is it really worth?

8. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

Do what I did. I got a 1960 Fender in amazing condition for less than a tenth that price. Of course, it’s a musicmaster - perhaps the least collectible Fender, but it has the same Braz slab fretboard and overall quality of fit and finish as its more desirable stablemates. ;)

9. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

Strange for a listing for a 62 not to state, or include a picture showing, whether its a slab or veneer board, unless I missed something.

Not a concern but just amateurish - as is changing Mr Fralin's gender in the listing!!!

10. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

Just an amateur opinion but based on it's condition, only somewhat original nature, and other sales of '62's rated as Fair to Good I'd say he's at least 20% too high @ $18k. JMHO

11. Dimarzio54

Dimarzio54 Strat-Talk Member

I knew Stan Jay personally and bought several instruments over the years from Mandolin Brothers. I believe they closed the store after he passed away. They were in the day experts on vintage acoustic guitars, mandolins and jazz boxes. Not uncommon to see pre-war Martins, D'Angelicos and Bendetto's at his shop in Staten Island. It was a like like a museum and I loved going there. Regarding electric guitars he carried a small collection at any one time. They focused on acoustic both vintage and small builders. His monthly newsletter was particularity detailed. Stan liked writing long paragraphs about the instruments. He also pointed out any issues and would typically not sell player grade guitars that were not original. This was my experience. I would pass on the Strat.

Arcturus and soulman969 like this.
  12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

That listing is seriously light on pictures for an 18,000 dollar guitar. I'd expect that many pictures on a 700 dollar guitar.

He has more pictures of his dog in the photos, than of the body cavity and neck heel.

Arcturus and soulman969 like this.
  13. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

and put a piece of cloth under the pick guard when you flip it over and lay it on top of the finish...my god!

nickmsmith likes this.
  14. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-O-Master

I'm by no means an expert on vintage (or any kind of) guitars, but, as a fairly experienced hand buying expensive used things off the web due to my other hobbies...

"$17,995" instead of just saying "$18,000,"? Especially when "open to offers?" That move always just feels sort of... quasi-deceptive?

Wants an additional $90 to ship you something you just laid out $18,000 (ish) for? That's 0.005x the selling price (one half of one percent) and strikes me as sort of a cheap move... Like pretending $5 in the asking price is going to make or break a $18k boutique-interest deal. It would be better and sound a better deal to give the buyer a discount if they pick up, instead of trying to squeeze an additional c-note out of a remote buyer.

$18k guitar to sell... I kind of would expect the photos to actually be in focus, in addition to the other issues pointed out above. Especially in an era of autofocus high-res cameras where in-focus pics are pretty simple to get, and can be reviewed instantly while taking shots, before posting them.

No photo of serial number? Big red flag? Like refusal to provide the VIN on a car for sale, or cert stamps on dive gear. Something you'd want to emphasize on a legit deal, even if commonly or easily counterfeited.

Just seems kind of low-effort compared to the asserted value.

After making a large claim on the value-add of the appraisal, a picture of the appraisal docs would to me be an obvious thing to include.

Odds are great I'll never own an instrument within an order of magnitude of that price, but If I was shopping one on the intrawebs, these things would have the caveat emptor spidey-senses all a-tingle.

Could well be fully on the up-and-up. The seller's not exactly making it easy for a buyer to tell, though.

"Everything before the 'but' is meaningless." - My mom.

Arcturus likes this.
  15. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

crashbelt likes this.
  16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

I would not pay $18K for a Strat without a neck stamp. That's a huge red flag.

Bad enough they call it "all original guitar, case and hang tag but one input jack which original is in the case. Also the bridge had been replaced and two of the pick ups the middle and the bridge have been rewired..."

By Lindsy Frailn - would that be Lindy's second cousin from Buffalo?

Now, this might turn out to be a really great guitar.
    I don't know, and couldn't judge without actually playing it.

But IMO with those issues it's overpriced.

crashbelt and picapoyo like this.