Maple or Pau Ferro fretboard?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Spargus, Mar 5, 2019.

1. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

^ Thats odd, as usually 1 piece is less stable (in over 90% of scenarios) than laminations of multi pieces.

That humidity detector needs endgrain......just so you know, its not an analogy for 2 piece of wood in a guitar at all.

2. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

I don't like the pura or whatever its called if color isn't consistent throughout entire fretboard..

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

This is the issue - I've played satin maple boards and they are no more difficult to play than a rosewood board - the resistance comes in when you have a gloss neck, and gets more exaggerated if you also are dealing with vintage frets.
    The less contact fingertip to actual board, the less resistance - hence Malmsteen and Blackmore with their scalloped fretboard.
    In Yngwie's words, "Too much woood under yo fingahs!"

BlueCajun likes this.
  4. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Bending is a problem with maple when the finish is too glossy and thick and the frets are tiny vintage-like. With tall frets or satin finish there should be no problems at all. The looks and the sound are different IMO.

5. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

I would always choose maple over pau ferro or rosewood on Strats and Teles. Having grown up in the 50's only maple looks correct on them to me.

Bob the builder likes this.
  6. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

I own a maple neck Player Strat and have no issues with playability.I own many Rosewood fretboard Strats and this one plays just as nice.The 9.5 radius and taller frets make bends very smooth.

7. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

Just got my first pao ferro board (recent Classic Player 60s Strat). I only pulled the trigger on this one as it's one of the darker pao ferro fretboards I've seen (at least recent MIM ones). Many of the ones I've seen in the past couple of years are much too light for my taste.

I'm actually impressed by the feel of the fretboard. It feels smoother than rosewood, almost like ebony. My one gripe is that it always looks like dry rosewood to me. I guess that will just take some getting used to. But like I said, I really like the feel of it.

8. ZekeZ

ZekeZ Strat-Talk Member

New member, please be gentle.

Why don't you try one of each and see which works better for you, not for everyone else? Currently have a maple and a rosewood strat, found the maple sounds a bit brighter, but they play pretty much the same.

Any issues bending with either one would be probably attributed to 'operator failure'.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  9. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Bending isn’t an issue, strictly speaking for looks....Maple!

10. exactopposite

exactopposite Strat-Talk Member

It's just a matter of preference. I personally prefer rosewood, but maple doesn't bother me. I like the rosewood so much I have a Strat and a Tele with all rosewood necks. Nobody can tell you what will be better for you though.

11. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

It’s all about the looks nothing else

12. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I love maple fretboards. All my Fenders except my bass now have maple boards.

Han Valen likes this.
  13. Jethro1972

Jethro1972 Talentless Hack Silver Member

I am not a big fan of maple fretboards. If I am buying new, it will be the rosewood or pao ferro. A good deal on used, well, ya get what you get. I don’t hate maple, just prefer a darker board.

14. Jeigh

Jeigh Strat-Talk Member

Doesn't he mean literally feeling the board tho, and not emotional feelings? Haha, or is this an inside joke I'm missing, because it is kinda funny?

15. LTigh

LTigh Strat-Talker

As others have mentioned, the finish or feel of a fretboard MAY have some sort of effect on the person playing the guitar, hence bends being "easier" or not.

I've found (in combination with stuff like fret gauge) that I just don't like the feel of a maple board under my fingers (and yes, unless you have a remarkably light touch and/or a scalloped fretboard, your fingers are going to be touching), whether the finish on that maple is nitro or poly. I'd like to give a baked/roasted/whatever maple fretboard a try (since you can either leave them unfinished or oil them), but I've not played one for more than a few minutes at a time, not long enough to make a judgement.

Aesthetically, I prefer darker boards, so gimme pau ferro, rosewood, ebony, or whatever they're using as an alternative (wenge, laurel, etc., etc., etc.), nicely oiled.