Maple or Rosewood?

FatOx

Strat-Talk Member
May 18, 2019
On the corner
The fact in late 2022 some people still deny different fretboard woods DO change quite a lot the sound of a guitar - and sometimes even make a bad attempt at sarcasm in the process - boggles my mind. It's not a thing up for debate or something you can have an opinion about, it's a fact.

You should not need a video or an article to know about this if you tried a least a couple of different guitars in your life, but still, here's a very good one.

Higgins1980

I want that Hendrix Strat!
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
I have two Strats, both with rosewood boards and a Tele with a maple board. In a side by side comparison I prefer the neck on the Tele but that has more to do with the radius (12” vs 9.5” on the Strats) than the material used to make it.

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium
The fact in late 2022 some people still deny different fretboard woods DO change quite a lot the sound of a guitar - and sometimes even make a bad attempt at sarcasm in the process - boggles my mind. It's not a thing up for debate or something you can have an opinion about, it's a fact.

You should not need a video or an article to know about this if you tried a least a couple of different guitars in your life, but still, here's a very good one.

If you listen to a variety you Strats being played in a blind test, and you have no idea how the guitar is configured, you won’t be able to tell them apart.

It’s only when you introduce your eyes that your perception changes and that affects what you think you can hear.

The wise words of Obi-Wan, remember, you will:

View attachment 595193

Stone

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 17, 2019
Mean Streets
all about the look's, as for Feel? what feel? I feel strings when I'm playing not wood, Tone?? if you can tell the difference then you have super human hearing I cant tell any difference in the tone
I do have an Axe with a Roasted maple neck, I like it as much as my rosewood and ebony boards, hell my Godin dont even have a wood fingerboard
so for me makes no difference at all

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
for me it's all about aesthetics. I like the look of rosewood on strats and maple on telecaster especially blonde tele.
Which is just as valid as any other reason.
If an instrument looks appealing and makes you want to pick it up and play it,
that's a good thing.
And personal aesthetic choices are hard to argue with, unlike the perceived sonic
propensities of various wood species when used in specific applications.
:)

Riderock

Strat-Talker
May 27, 2020
Ontario
Acording to Taylor maple has less highs and lows compared to other hard tonewoods. They only use it for back and sides on the 600 series and do not offer a non electrified 600 model. They claim it makes a better choice for a stage (amplified) guitar because less low end reduces potential feedback problems and the more midrange tone will cut through the mix better. Most luthiers consider maple to be an inferior tonewood acousticly and is why it's less common to see it used for the back and sides on an acoustic. I have a 600 and a Yamaki (that is literally all maple except for the top) and this seems to hold true.

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Larry, Curly or Mo, surely?
Three different guys played alongside Moe and Larry as the third stooge. There was Curly, Curly Joe (Besser), and Joe (Derita). Obviously Curly was the best of those three, but the big question that has plagued Hollywood experts is who was better between Joe and Curly Joe?

And now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast: Maple vs. Rosewood

Last edited:

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-O-Master
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS
Three different guys played alongside Moe and Larry as the third stooge. There was Curly, Curly Joe (Besser), and Joe (Derita). Obviously Curly was the best of those three, but the big question that has plagued Hollywood experts is who was better between Joe and Curly Joe?

Don’t forget Shemp.

CyFan4036

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2018
You are here
Yes! Maple AND rosewood! I want them both! Seriously though, some guitars demand one over the other to me. I don't really choose, the guitar chooses for me. The strat I just built could only have rosewood.

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama

What about Shemp?

StratUp

Dr. Stratster
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States

That's a well done video. Everyone should watch that, with headphones.