Mark Knopfler Signature Model Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarchaeologist, Jun 10, 2020.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Funny, because guys that over-emphasize "tonewoods" claim that Ash bodies + Rosewood necks are a bad combination.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

2. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Guitartist Silver Member

hhhmmm... I've never heard that claim, and as I have such a combo, which I find to sound great, don't subscribe to it. :thumb:

Stratwrangler likes this.
  3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I have one too - although bright (body is Northern ash,) it still sounds great.

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  4. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

had "most" of a Knopfler strat 10 years back. At the time Statosphere were parting then out. I already had a mint AVRI 62 neck, so I bought a loaded Knopfler body. The Knopfler neck was pretty much an AVRI 62 neck with jumbo frets and Knopfler signature on the headstock.

Nice guitar - light. Never 100% bonded with it. Tried a bunch of pickups, as not such a fan of Texas Specials. I think the best sound I got was with a set of Antiquity II pickups - very chimey and articulate. That's a little bit of it there in my avatar :)

5. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

That’s interesting Bazz Jass

A guy I knew well was selling one. His issue he said was it was too heavy. So I tried it....eeekkkKK he wasn’t wrong, it was very heavy, heaviest Strat I’ve ever tried.

I passed on it, shame as it sounded good and played well. However as I’d be gigging it, it was a no no

Bazz Jass likes this.
  6. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Very interesting - they were sold as "lightweight ash." Stratosphere were listing bodies 2 a week when I bought mine, no reserve auctions. They listed the weights - all were fairly consistent, but the auction I bid on had the lightest weight I'd seen, but only by a few ounces. I think the whole guitar assembled was 7 pounds, which I consider light for a strat.

I liked the colour - somewhere between Fiesta Red and Dakota red

upload_2020-6-14_9-22-28.png

7. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Hi again,

I was sure that guy’s MK sig Strat was genuine but after your factual comment I’m wondering if it was hooky or not the genuine model. Also the Fiesta red on this guy’s Strat was disappointing, was more A Dakota Red than Fiesta

All in all I think I was right to pass on that one.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  8. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Is that because there were CS MK Sig Strats as well as the regular sig Strats?

9. Sparkyalan

Sparkyalan New Member!

Hello Peeps
    New here...been searching internet thing for days regarding the MK sig Strat, as I have owned one for 17 years from new.
    Decided to upgrade the pups as I have never been a fan of the Texas specials that fender put in for this model guitar, too harsh and brittle for my taste.
    Strangely, and very unmanly..in 17 years, I have never taken the pick guard off...and inside was a bit of a shock. Taking of the middle tone pot, I discovered...it was a push pull pot! WTAF?...didn’t know it was there...unsure if I ever put one in over the years when drunk...anyone know if this was a key feature?
    Cant find any info on this so happy for any answers.
    Also, taking off the pick guard, it has an underlying matching thin sheet of presumably aluminum...never seen that in previous strats...c’mon guys...no answers on inter web thingy...do your thang.
    More pictures to follow and an update of my bio. First guitar was a ‘57 Squier Strat in 1983 so I know a bit

10. guitarchaeologist

The aluminum shield came about n 1959. Lasted until about 1970 (I think) Came back with the '62 American Series in 1982 and remained a feature of most reissues and derivatives sporting rosewood board.
    As far as the push/pull tone pot, I don't recall on this model, but the specs are listed earlier in this thread. Give it a look.

Sparkyalan likes this.
  11. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I also have never heard of these having a push-pull pot in them; the Fender service manual/wiring diagram for th Mark Knopfler Strat does not show one. Here's the link to the PDF on Fender's website:

https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_assets/549136/200076499/011-7800A_SISD.pdf

Sparkyalan likes this.
  12. Sparkyalan

Sparkyalan New Member!

Thanks guys...really can’t remember putting in a series switch, guitar sold as brand new in 2004 ( not 2003) by big Uk Retailer.
    Attached are the numbers on the neck, front pickup and that odd little push pull. Most American strats I’ve seen in 30 years were missing the metal pick shield so not seen one before.
    Any clues from this?

Attached Files:

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Dr. Stratster

Like, how much more red could it be? Oh, and I always thought those of a superstitious nature declared green to be unlucky.

Sparkyalan likes this.
  14. Wrighty

Wrighty Dr. Stratster

Got them in my garage-find MIM Squier...................sounds great.

15. Elvie

Elvie Strat-O-Master

All Knopfler Strats were supposed to be Hotrod Red which is a very bright red but FMIC in their usual fashion messed the first run up and painted them Dakota Red. The second run were the correct colour.

16. simonparamedic

simonparamedic New Member!

Hi All, I am actively hunting the globe for one these Mark Knopfler Artist Signature Fender strats - so, if anybody should see one then please please let me know! Many thanks for your attention

The_Whale and guitarchaeologist like this.
  17. guitarchaeologist

simonparamedic likes this.
  18. simonparamedic

simonparamedic New Member!

19. Sparkyalan

Sparkyalan New Member!

As an update, it appears I installed a Rothwell hot little knob sometime in the past...in a drunken haze prob. and had no idea it was there. Just installed a st of Radioshop ID Chris Buck PUPs...bloody awesome...actually sounds like Knopfler circa 1980