Join Strat-Talk Today

Marshall DSL 5C or Fender Blues Junior 3?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by neplusultra, May 20, 2020 at 12:23 PM.

1. neplusultra

neplusultra Strat-Talk Member

Hi all,

Trying to decide between two awesome amps. I’m the worst decision maker and get ridiculously OCD when I have to make a choice, so can you guys help a newbie out. I’ve tried both amps out and both sound great, but what would you chose between a Marshall DSL 5C w/ Celestion G10 Greenback vs a Fender Blues Junior 3 w/ eminence cannabis Rex 12?

Both are tube amps, hopping some feedback will help me decide. I know they’re different amps, like the Marshall has more distortion, but I play pretty clean and like to dial in my settings so I get some breakup when I hit the strings pretty hard.

Thanks

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

I’ve owned the BJ III and a Marshall DSL 40 CR - so not a apple to apples comparison but the Marshall 5 C in my book will blow away a stock BJr. On the new DSLs the cleans are quite nice and you can roll back the OD to where you want it. Doesn’t have to be full on metal 100%

3bolt79 and Antstrat like this.
  3. neplusultra

The Marshall has several things that’s the Blues Junior lacks... 1 watt power setting, FX loop, OD, removable power chord, but the fender has that 12. It’s an upgrade from the stock 12 which was a Jensen I believe, it’s also a limited edition Bordeaux wine. Thanks for the input EC Strat-boy

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. EC Strat-boy

I had a C rex in my BJr - great speaker and it pairs really well with that amp. I did all of the Billm mods to it and went down a total rabbit hole. Got it sounding pretty darn good though

the DSL 5 comes with a 10”?

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. EC Strat-boy

The stock Jensen was a horrible speaker. Couldn’t get that thing out of the amp quick enough.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t care for the lower priced marshalls.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Please Explain. ENJOY!!!

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

just my experience playing around in stores. When I compare stuff from fender and black star to Marshall in the same price range, I tend to like the others better. I have a bassbreaker 15. Preferred it to the dsl15.

3bolt79 and EC Strat-boy like this.
  9. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

I like a BJr in this scenario. I guess it depends on what you are looking for honestly. BJr is 15 watts and will take more to breakup and will be louder. the DSL5C will breakup easier for you and get you higher gain than the BJr.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

The 10" greenback is a VERY good speaker though.

It's one of the very few speakers Celestion still makes in the UK.

11. neplusultra

Yeah the DSL has a 10. Do you have a link to the mods that you did, I imagine it required lot of soldering?

3bolt79 and EC Strat-boy like this.
  12. EC Strat-boy

Look for billmaudio.com. But be warned, if you if you dive into this rabbit hole you won’t come out until you’ve got like 800-900$ into the amp like I did LOLOL Some soldering for sure

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talk Member

I have the older 5c. It's a decent amp stock but I ended up shoehorning a 12" Veteran 30 into it. That made a world of difference. Before the upgrade you couldn't get a deep thunk from palm muting and it didn't have much bottom end which is nice to have when playing at home on your own. The stock Marshall (JJ and generic 12ax7 preamp tubes weren't the best either. they sounded a bit thin and flat. Mullard reissue CV4004 in V1 and Mullard RE 12ax7 in V2 fixed everything. Warmer, fuller sound and very versatile.

The newer 5CR is voiced a bit better, less glassy, a little darker and has both volume and gain knobs for the clean channel plus a weak but usable reverb.

My older 5c is still quite loud in 5w mode. The 1w mode is much quieter, someone from Marshall said 1w mode was actually closer to 0.5w. I got the CCW edition which I love because it's the only one my wife likes in the living room.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the 12" Veteran 30 through the back grill. There is just enough room with about 1/16 clearance on one of the preamp tubes lol. I just stick a piece of card in between to make sure they aren't touching.

[​IMG]

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. neplusultra

I don’t mind soldering but I don’t think I want to dump any additional money into it. I’ll heed your warning and stay away...at this point I’m leaning more towards the DSL.

Wow, I never considered putting a 12 in there. I actually own both amps just need to sell one to fund other projects. Maybe I can do a swap.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Loved my Blues Junior but sold it and bought a Supro Blues King which I love even more. Have no experience with the 5 watt Marshall though but I do have a DSL 401 that I would recommend over the BJ. Nothing wrong with a BJ btw, its a good amp.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Looking at a photo of the back of the DSL, the speaker out is a standard phone jack connector looking for a 16 Ohm impedance.

I would think that one can connect an external speaker/cabinet with larger speaker cones if you want more volume.

But, then again, isn’t the point of a smaller “bedroom” amp a combination of both lower manageable volume with distortion, and portability?

The BJ @15W may be a better choice if you need to go out and jam with friends.
    It will give you just a little more volume ( but not a whole lot).

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. neplusultra

Hey Tone Deaf, I didn't know you could jack in a different speaker on the DSL. Good stuff. Thanks for chiming on guys, I think it'm going to keep the DSL. If anyone is interested in the BJ, I have it listed on reverb.

****EDIT****

I was wondering about what Tone Deaf said, and this is above my amp knowledge, but on the DSL I can unplug the speaker. Now If I wanted to try out the 12" from the BJ, is there a way I can connect the BJ to the DSL? I did a few searches but I got conflicting info. I just want to see how the 12 sounds in the marshall but I don't want to fry my amps.

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Hmmm

The Blues JR appears to be an 8 Ohm impedance output, so the Eminence Cannabis should match that. Take a look at the back of the Fender and see if it says 8 Ohm at the speaker output on the amp.

If it is an 8 Ohm, then there is an impedance mis-match between the Marshall output and the Eminence speaker. I would NOT put the Eminence on to the Marshall. The Eminence is not enough resistance for the Marshall‘s output driver. So there may be too much current produced and the Marshall could fry itself.

Someone else please chime in on this.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. neplusultra

Here's the back of the Fender: 8 Ohms min. The back of the Marshall around the jack input reads 16 Ohms. So it's a no go?

[​IMG]

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. DM1975

DM1975 Strat-Talker

I have the DSL 5CR and while it’s not as nice sounding as my JVM210H its still nice sounding to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.