Marshall DSL1 as the proverbial bedroom amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Handsome McClane, Jan 8, 2021.

Have you found your perfect bedroom amp?

1. Yep.

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Nope, but I want one.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Don't need one, I can play at decent volume at home.

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. There's no such thing as the perfect bedroom amp. It's a myth.

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. I play my acoustics at night.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Random box to check.

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  7. I just sit in my underwear and play the kazoo.

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

OK, so about six months ago I bought a little 5-watt Supro thinking it was gonna be my low-volume bedroom amp. Lo and behold - it's probably as loud as my AC15 and will blow the roof off if I crank it to where it shines. I love it, haven't used another amp in my stable since I got it, but it is LOUD. Bought an attenuator and it just doesn't sound good with it, the tone is altered in a negative way when I A-B it, so I don't use it. So my Supro is relegated being set to 9 o'clock on the volume knob (crystal clean) and the old pedalboard is providing the digital crunch. Same as it ever was.

So, continuing down the rabbit hole until I find a .0001-watt amp, I'm about to go down to 1-watt in the quest for bedroom breakup. That is what we all want, isn't it? A tube amp that breaks up at true bedroom volume and doesn't sound like a wimpy POS? So, I did a lot of video watching, and decided that I think I want a Marshall DSL1. It's one watt, it's crunchy and as some guy in a demo put it, it has that Marshall "chunk". I love the Marshall chunk - my main amp for 25 years was a JCM 900 so I'm very familiar with how a Marshall sounds both clean and dirty. All of the reviews and demos I saw were positive. I have currently have a 1 x 12" cabinet with a Celestion V-type speaker that is suffering from sitting in the corner unused too. It's saying "put a Marshall head on me" over and over again while I play my kazoo.

So, before I pull the trigger, is there anyone out there with a DSL1 and can you tell me your experience with it? The Blackstar equivalent is about $50 cheaper, but it doesn't sound as warm in demos as the Marshall.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Stratbats, Cali Dude, Cerb and 2 others like this.
  2. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Nope
    I bought the 1Watt Blackstar
    Wanted a different flavor for the bedroom.
    I have a DSL40c for the main amp though.

Enjoy your new little Marshall

circles, 3bolt79 and Handsome McClane like this.
  3. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I guess that I nearly found my perfect bedroom amp(s) in 2012.

I bought a new 50th Anniversary Marshall JMP1H back in 2012. I ran it through a Marshall 4x12 (425B) cab with Greenbacks at .1 watt. The JMP1H sounded superb at bedroom volumes, but I still had to use an OD pedal for medium-higher gain.

I paid $800 for that little JMP1H 1-watt amp. At the same time, I bought a 50th Anniversary Marshall Class-5 for a little over $250.

The JMP1H sounded better than the Class-5 (both set to .1 watt), but not $550 better.

I just couldn’t justify $800 for a 1-watt bedroom amp, so I reluctantly returned the JMP1H and kept the Class-5. About a week later I bought a mint vintage 50 watt JMP for only $100 more than the JMP1H bedroom amp.

I still miss both my JMP1H and my Class-5. I should have kept at least one of those two amps.

I’ve since looked for a replacement JMP1H but they are now going $1000+.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    3bolt79 and Handsome McClane like this.
  4. Handsome McClane

Just looked up that 50th Anniversary JMP1H. They're going for about $1300 right now.

3bolt79 and Gridlock like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Yes I’ve found the perfect bedroom amp. However it’s not a tube amp. It sure sounds like it though. This is at volume of 1. It is an Orange Crush 35 RT

‘it also has a headphone Jack. I’m 300 bux in with the amp and the separately available foot switch.

Sarnodude, Cali Dude, Cerb and 2 others like this.
  6. Gridlock

The Anniversary amps were made in the U.K., but they were not hand-wired, and I believe the heads and cabs were made out of MDF. The high price was strictly based upon supply and demand.

If Marshall would re-market similar 1-watt (low-cost-country made) amps and sold them for $500 or less, they would have a winner.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    RPKennedy and Handsome McClane like this.
  7. Handsome McClane

Trippy. That sounds great. I don't mind the idea of an Orange SS at all.

How loud is that? Is it bother the housemates loud? Neighbors can hear loud?

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘it was recorded on my I pad, with the mics right on front of the speaker, so it sounds loud. I had the volume at 1. That is why it sounds a little fizzy. But it can play with a nice distortion sound at whisper quiet volumes.

I have 2 of these amps and when my friend comes over to jame, we each play through one of the two.

here is an example recorded in my living room on my IPad with an Epiphone LP and dual delay. The volume is about 9 o’clock. All tone controls set at 12 o’clock.

Cerb, Stonetone and Handsome McClane like this.
  9. Gridlock

Last week I bought a Orange Rocker-15 as a bedroom/jam amp at 1-15 watts. I wanted an amp that would go down to 1 watt and that I could use without an OD pedal.

I could not get a decent overdriven tone out of that amp at any volume. Just to boxy and raspy to my ears. I returned it yesterday.

Maybe I’ll look into the Orange Crush 35 or 60 Pro next.

ED276957-9280-41B8-95BA-806C767AEBD3.jpeg

10. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I have a 15 watt Supro Blues King and can get great bedroom level sounds, clean & naughty.

But then again it’s in my living room so can I in good conscious make a bold statement regarding bedroom tones? I suppose I could put it in a bedroom so my post will be consistent with the topic but I ask myself, why? Do I really want to get out of my recliner just to move an amp?

11. Gridlock

Can you get Zeppelin and ZZ Top overdrive without pedals at bedroom volumes?

3bolt79 and Handsome McClane like this.
  12. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Yes.

Torvald, 3bolt79 and Handsome McClane like this.
  13. Gridlock

Definitely checking that one out. Thanks.

14. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-O-Master

I'm currently going down this same rabbit hole. I tried the Orange 35rt, and found I could get any real crunch at a very low volume. Blackstar HTr1 was better, but it sounded small and boxy. Next came fhe Marsall MG15r, which would be fine were it not for the hiss.

I'm probably going to end up building a tweed Princeton with a 1/10th power mod.

Handsome McClane likes this.
  15. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-O-Master

I'm currently going down this same rabbit hole. I tried the Orange 35rt, and found I could not get any real crunch at a very low volume. Blackstar HTr1 was better, but it sounded small and boxy. Next came fhe Marsall MG15r, which would be fine were it not for the hiss.

I'm probably going to end up building a tweed Princeton with a 1/10th power mod.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  16. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

You’ll never get a ‘proper’ tube amp sound from a 1 watt head IMO.

Line 6 Pod Go and FRFR Speaker.

It’ll do lower-than-tv volumes right up to blast-your-eardrums-out and sound exactly the same 100% of the time.

Handsome McClane and Stonetone like this.
  17. MagnusR

MagnusR Senior Stratmaster

I'm still happy with my current bedroom amp thanks.

upload_2021-1-9_11-27-48.png

18. Landshark2021

Landshark2021 Strat-Talker

Don't need much more than these little gems, Blackstar makes some great, affordable practice amps. download (2).png download.png download (1).png

19. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

My Ibanez TSA5 has been my only amp for nearly two years. Not only will it do nice Fender-y clean tones, but kick in the built-in Tubescreamer (and/or put a boost in front of it), and it'll do proper blues-rock overdrive no problem.

20. carver

carver Gone strangling

I love the blackstar fly3 for when I’m in the living room and don’t want to wake the house up.

As for amps and guitars in the bedroom.
    None.
    The bedroom is for other activities

napping
    Thinking of napping
    Sleeping
    Thinking of sleeping
    Reading a book in bed while you think of something you said 30 years ago.
    you know, the regular stuff

johnted and Handsome McClane like this.