Marshall DSL40 CR for $700? Good deal?

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
Hey, guys...asking your advice on an amp purchase.

A locally-owned guitar store about an hour from me has a used Marshall DSL40 CR (like the one here) on sale for $700. Listed in "excellent" shape and the photos posted on Reverb support that. I can't see anything wrong with it and I think it's a good buy.

So...two questions:
1. Is $700 a reasonable asking price for this amp?
2. Can I just visit the store and look at the amp (and perhaps buy it) without dealing with a Reverb transaction?

Whaddaya think?

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
That's a little over $300 off of what they sell for new.
Reverb shows them selling for $500 to $730 over the last couple of months, $700 sounds like a decent starting point, and since it's being sold by a store, it's going to be a bit more than private party.
Offer $600 and see if they bite?

You can probably buy it directly from the store... do not communicate that intention through the Reverb messaging system, that will get you shut down by the Reverb bots.

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
That's a little over $300 off of what they sell for new.
Reverb shows them selling for $500 to $730 over the last couple of months, $700 sounds like a decent starting point, and since it's being sold by a store, it's going to be a bit more than private party.
Offer $600 and see if they bite?

You can probably buy it directly from the store... do not communicate that intention through the Reverb messaging system, that will get you shut down by the Reverb bots.
Yeah...I'm gonna offer $600 and see what they say. I can point out that by taking it with me, I save them the hassle of packing and shipping, etc.

I did ask for more info on Reverb messaging, but that's all. NO mention of intention to buy.

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
Please forgive me if this link is prohibited! If so please feel free to remove it. Just trying to help out a fellow forum member. @grritz
Thanks for sending the link. Already saw this, but two problems with it:
1. It's listed as C...not CR.
2. The grill cloth is punctured. Yoiu can only see if if you take a closer look in all that black...but there's definitely a 1"-2" inch hole in it.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
Thanks for sending the link. Already saw this, but two problems with it:
1. It's listed as C...not CR.
2. The grill cloth is punctured. Yoiu can only see if if you take a closer look in all that black...but there's definitely a 1"-2" inch hole in it.
Anyway, thanks for the help.
Pass.

That‘s not a good price for a C, you can get a CR mint for that or a wee bit more.

Love my CR and a bunch of members here do as well.

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
For a C, that’s on the high side. The CR corrected some of the issues that plagued the C. When the CR was released, resale value of the C dropped on reverb I noticed. Should be able to land a C for 400-500$ Used in excellent condition.

Straticus

Strat-Talker
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
I own this amp; bought new from Sweetwater this past June. I got a pretty steep discount to $705 as I purchased about $3,900 in gear in one go.

I really like this amp. The price you’re being quoted sounds really good.

Edited for price accuracy. Looked up my receipt.

Last edited:

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
I own this amp; bought new from Sweetwater this past June. I got a pretty steep discount to $705 as I purchased about $3,900 in gear in one go.

I really like this amp. The price you’re being quoted sounds really good.

Edited for price accuracy. Looked up my receipt.
Thanks.

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
For a C, that’s on the high side. The CR corrected some of the issues that plagued the C. When the CR was released, resale value of the C dropped on reverb I noticed. Should be able to land a C for 400-500$ Used in excellent condition.
Not looking for a C...just the CR. Thanks for the post, though.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Pass.

That‘s not a good price for a C, you can get a CR mint for that or a wee bit more.

Love my CR and a bunch of members here do as well.
I haven't played the DSL40 much at all. Only in the stores but they weren't enough to make me want to replace my DSL401. It's the predecessor to the 40 series but still a little stripped down if I'm not mistaken. Once I got the bridge rectifier over heating issue straightened out it has been nothing short of an amazing amp. Plus, it was made in England at the original Marshall plant.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
I haven't played the DSL40 much at all. Only in the stores but they weren't enough to make me want to replace my DSL401. It's the predecessor to the 40 series but still a little stripped down if I'm not mistaken. Once I got the bridge rectifier over heating issue straightened out it has been nothing short of an amazing amp. Plus, it was made in England at the original Marshall plant.
God plays through a 401.

grritz

The guitar plays me
Silver Member
May 2, 2014
Rock Hill, SC
OP UPDATE...with an interesting twist for you: I have a 5150 amp on its way! Yes, Eddie VanHalen 5150 Iconic combo, now made by Fender. From Sweetwater at $900 new. I played through a 5150 a few weeks ago while on my search for a semi-hollow body guitar and fell in love with the amp! Made a deal for an Epiphone ES-335 and the amp with my contact at Sweetwater. They are still waiting for the ES-335 to come in from Epiphone (maybe mid-June) but they're sending the amp out tomorrow. Link to the amp on Sweetwater follows (admin: if that's a violation of rules, please pull the link! I don't want to get in trouble!). Looking forward to a New Amp Day later this week!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...series-40-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp-black