Marshall SV20H Plexi…

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Electgumbo, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I didn’t need this at all. But my little cheap Valve State cab was lonesome. I’d sold the 1987X a few years ago and now the Bluesbreaker RI was gone. I needed something that said Marshall on it! So I started looking at the little 20 watt heads. The Studio Vintage seemed like the right one for me. The Plexi version.

The Bright channel is bright and piercing. By doing the channel jumper thing and blending the Dark side you can dial up any variety of tones you may wish. It does act like a real Plexi. And its still
    LOUD!!! But it isn’t that painful loud. It’s just loud! The 5 watt setting helps a little but it’s still way beyond bedroom volume.

I haven’t tried the effects loop yet but I’m sure it well work as it should. This maybe the stage/club gig Marshall we may always wish we had. Loud enough to hang on stage but soft enough not to get you fired.

1800CE02-FBAA-4694-91E1-8A161DD90665.jpeg 4FC85F4F-4F1E-4733-AADF-C975D79656ED.jpeg

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

It's handsome.

Edit: Makes my Peavey look like a cheap floozy.

3. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Cool - looks like good fun! I've been eyeballing those since they came out!

4. SeventySevenStrat

SeventySevenStrat Strat-Talk Member

I'm not saying it isn't possible to get bedroom volume through a 4x12, it's just you're not really making it easy for yourself.

Danny D, Dr Improbable and Electgumbo like this.
  5. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

Very nice!

I do love Marshalls.

How is the noise?

The combo of this feels like it would me a nice companion to my JTM45. But every demo I've seen has some nasty hiss when you turn up the volume. (Which is on of the reasons I stopped using my Origin 50 head. Tone was fine, noise was a drag.)

Enjoy! Because these do look really great!

(And the best amps are always the ones you "don't need." Like, I really, really, really WANT a Marshall 1974x 18 watter. But I keep telling myself I don't "NEED" it. Which....well, we'll see which angel of my nature wins out in the end.) :)

Also, LOVE the shell pink strat!

6. Fenderiano

Fenderiano New Member!

Great amp! Congrats!
    I had it for a couple of weeks, sounds very nice, but like any Plexi, needs to be fairly loud to get a nice tone. Since I live in a apartment (plugged to a 1x12 with Creamback) I had to sell it.

Danny D, hrstrat57 and Electgumbo like this.
  7. Electgumbo

@dante1963
    Its hard to tell about the noise. My room is noisy for some reason. But when I switch the pickup on my Strat it gets quiet. Must have a reverse wound pickups in it. I wanted a JTM 45 so bad!!! But I couldn’t find a cost effective deal on one and I figured it would be like the 1987X…. Way Too Loud! I just wanted a little Marshall to fill that void. I may never play it out… heck I may never play out again…

Edit… I’m back home and playing the amp. I don’t find it any noisier then anything else. Actually it rather quiet…

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Danny D, Robins, dante1963 and 2 others like this.
  8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

You'd think at my age I'd have owned at least one Marshall by now. But somehow I've never taken that plunge

Electgumbo likes this.
  9. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Same for me; I've always wanted a Marshall stack, but never had the room. Until I donated my car. The extra garage space gave me the excuse to finally get a Marshall (JVM205C) and a matching speaker cabinet for a sorta half-stack look. I didn't need it but it's been a blast figuring it out and setting it up, and playing it at 2 a.m. To be honest, it has way too much gain for my tastes, but there are low gain modes that work nicely with pedals-- the Master Volume and footpedal presets are wonderful. It's a shame that it's a modern printed-circuit board construction, and probably will last only a fraction as long as my '71 Twin Reverb. (Yep, I'm shallow and like the "Marshall" badges.)

[​IMG]
    (Gee, I've gotten a lot of mileage from this pic!:))

10. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

HNAD!
    FWIW, try a volume pot in the effects loop to help tame the volume. I’m using a JHS Little Black Amp Box in my SC20H and it did wonders.

11. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

HNAD :thumb:

Electgumbo likes this.
  12. Electgumbo

Dat don’t work for me @sam_in_cali
    I’ve tried that trick on other amps…. I have my Little Jettenuator attenuator on the job. Sounding good too…

maybe your JHS has something else going on beside a volume pot..?

13. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Nice!!

Electgumbo likes this.
  14. 98springer

98springer Strat-Talker

Don't make it angry.

Electgumbo likes this.
  15. Electgumbo

Got the old faithful Jettenator on the SV20H. The Jettenator handles the 20 watts much better then it did the 50
    watt 1987X. It doesn’t attenuate the highs as much either. It don’t sound like you put a blanket over the amp…. Bedroom volume engage!!!

Gosh! Needing an attenuator for a 20 watt amp seems a bit silly and over kill but it’s working!…. Now where is that SG of mine???

50E72AD0-F62B-450D-8288-0BAF396F1AC0.jpeg

Stratbats, duzie, EC Strat and 8 others like this.
  16. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I had to put a volume pedal on my Recto 25/10. Even ten watts on that thing is way too much in my condo. That thing doesn't sound right until you push it

Electgumbo likes this.
  17. sam_in_cali

I tried a Bugera PS1 (basically a Jettenuator clone) with my SC20h and didn’t care for it. By the time I knocked the volume down to a house-friendly level, the tone was simply unacceptable. I’m curious how close the Bugera and Jettenuator are though because @Robins has one and swears by it too. Too bad they are impossible to find anymore.

Robins and Electgumbo like this.
  18. Electgumbo

@sam_in_cali
    I know what you mean. I bought the Jettenator years ago on clearance for super cheap. Like $50 or $75. It worked well with the Bluesbreaker RI which is 30watts. But it didn’t work so good with the 50watt 1987X. And it would get hot too! I mean almost to hot to touch. I think technically the Jettenator will handle
    100 watts…. the lower the wattage the better it works.

But with the SV20H if not 100% transparent it’s awful close. I can live with it easily. It’s much easier to go back to the front of the amp and dial back in the tone that is lost. Much closer then any time I’ve tried to use it before.

Robins, sam_in_cali and dante1963 like this.
  19. Electgumbo

@sam_in_cali
    Dude I’m trying to Rock What I Got! I mean $1200 for a OX Box just don’t excite me. Even if it’s perfect…. I got the head for $1100 off Reverb. Or a Boss Tube Amp Expander… what are they like $1300? It’s hard to spend that much on a
    Load box…. I guess I’m just not on that level..

sam_in_cali likes this.
  20. sam_in_cali

Oh I hear ya! I think the volume pot trick in the effects loop gets me close enough for what I need it for. One day I'd like to try a nicer attenuator like a Rivera Rock Crusher, but for now, this works.

Robins, Electgumbo and Stratoman10 like this.