Martin Strung upside down.

GAS Face

Strat-Talker
Feb 24, 2012
Usa
I am looking for used D-28s. But I am a lefty. Is there any real drawback I am unaware of for taking a right and doing a nut adjustment to string it upside down? Like maybe the saddle placement or something? I play. I have very little knowledge of the setup.

Mikeylefty

Be Kind
May 9, 2020
SE USA
Well the saddle would have to slant back the other way, so replacing bridge with a lefty bridge? Someone will know. I don't know if you can pull those up gracefully or not. I would think it would hurt the future value of the guitar but it's probably been done before so someone might have a "devalued" convert for a good price. I play lefty but I bought a righty martin because I'm weird and play with righty stringing.
There are certainly new ones available as leftys.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida
I am looking for used D-28s. But I am a lefty. Is there any real drawback I am unaware of for taking a right and doing a nut adjustment to string it upside down? Like maybe the saddle placement or something? I play. I have very little knowledge of the setup.

There are many lefty D-28's around. I wouldn't screw around with modifying a righty unless you get it at a VERY good (low) price. I don't see much difference in price , on Reverb.com, between left and right handed used D-28's.

LawFlow

Strat-Talker
Feb 24, 2019
Oklahoma
Someone can correct me, but I believe the bracing would be all wrong as well as the bridge/saddle/nut. I'm a lefty, but learned to play righty.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM

The saddle compensation will be wrong.

It is a common practice to fill the saddle slot and recut the saddle for left handed compensation. We have also added side dots to the neck as well in a lofty conversion as well as a new left handed nut.

If it is a high end acoustic there will be a difference in sound since the top bracing is not symmetrical and is different for the bass side as it is on the treble side. This will have some affect on the tone but it’s probably minimal.

When I build a left handed guitar I also reverse the internal bracing.

GAS Face

Strat-Talker
Feb 24, 2012
Usa
The saddle compensation will be wrong.

It is a common practice to fill the saddle slot and recut the saddle for left handed compensation. We have also added side dots to the neck as well in a lofty conversion as well as a new left handed nut.

If it is a high end acoustic there will be a difference in sound since the top bracing is not symmetrical and is different for the bass side as it is on the treble side. This will have some affect on the tone but it’s probably minimal.

When I build a left handed guitar I also reverse the internal bracing.

Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Cheers.