Mary Kay master built

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mikem4879, Apr 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

That's a beautiful Strat.

2. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I would use some kind of buyer protection and insist it is for both parties to transact securely.

Especially for that sum.

Better yet, I'd want to personally inspect. It can be done in the current "climate" safely.

Money should be direct transfer rather than cash - cash carries cooties.

3. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-O-Master

OMG what an absolute beauty.

4. mikem4879

mikem4879 Strat-Talk Member

Thanks, guys for all the responses. I wont be able to personally inspect it unfortunately. I went ahead and just pulled the trigger. It is through Reverb, so there is some protection. I will let you know how I like it when it arrives!!

5. mikem4879

Ok so here are some first impressions. I dont have a lot of experience with strats so I am still learning.
    I am not a fan of the tuners. It may be that I dont know how to use them though. They just have slit in the top for the string instead of a hole to put the string through. The string kept coming out of the slit. They keep it in tune so I am not complaining about that, but it was more of a pain to restring it.
    It is light! It is comparable to my Ric Carl Wilson 360. I really like how light it is.
    I like the neck. I know that is personal preference, but I don't mind the skinny neck.
    It does sound great. It has the three way switch installed. The five way is included in the case. Does it hurt the value to have the 5 way installed? I do like the tones from the three way, but wonder if i would like the sounds better with the 5 way. I don't want to hurt the value of it by switching it though.
    It also looks really good. I like the Mary Kay finish.
    The tremelo is way too hard to use. Is that just a matter of adjusting the springs in the body? I havent messed with that yet.

Sorry for some of the beginner questions. This is only the second strat that I have.

amstratnut likes this.
  6. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-Talker

You'll get used to those split-shaft tuners. The first time restringing can be a little rough, but you'll get the hang of it after that. Just keep tension on the string as close to the tuning peg as possible while you crank the tuner like a madman.

As far as installing the 5 way switch...do you plan on selling the guitar someday? If not, I wouldn't worry about resale value and just do it. A strat isn't a strat without that quack.

CFFF and Andrew Wasson like this.
  7. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-O-Master

You stick the end of the string straight down into the hole.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  8. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Split shaft tuners are the best! But if you can't get along with that guitar I'll gladly trade you the LB Strat in my avatar for her:)

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

As a big M.K. fan, congrats!
    The vintage tuners work great (once you understand how to string them. Enjoy.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  10. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Ok, first things first... Congrats on your new guitar. I love the Mary Kaye transparent blonde finish. It’s got to be my favourite looks.

Also, all of my Strats have vintage split tuners and so does one of my Ibanez guitars. They are simply the best tuners once you get the hang of them. I have a set of needle nose pliers and I put a 90 degree bend in the string and it goes and stays in the hole as I tune. They don’t go out of tune even with a little playing with the tremolo arm.

Comgrats again!

jpmist and CFFF like this.
  11. mikem4879

ha OK So I will rethink the tuners. I just have never seen them before, so I definitely struggled a little. Nothing big.

What about the tremelo bar. Is it just up to your preference on how hard it is to move, or does it also affect the tuning.

12. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

It’s been my experience that the stiffness of the tremolo (floating bridge) doesn’t affect tuning. I have mine set for full floating with 3 springs. It’s not very stiff at all. I don’t do a lot of whammy theatrics and it stays in tune just fine. I do make sure the nut is well cut and the strings aren’t binding and I usually use a little cocoanut oil in the nut slots to make sure there’s no binding. I also set the 4 inner screws on my tremolo about a quarter turn higher than the outside 2 screws so that there’s less chance they’ll bind and hang up the tremolo and prevent it from returning to neutral.

13. IWannaNewStrat

IWannaNewStrat New Member!

I have come to love vintage tuners. I like to stick that pointing end of a tooth pick in the tuner hole once I put the end of that string in. It keeps the string in place while you tighten and then can easily be removed when done.

14. mikem4879

Ok Thanks I will check out the springs. I havent opened up that area yet.

Good idea about the tooth pick.

Thanks.

15. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

My AVRI models are 54, 56, 57, 59, 62, and 65. I also have the AVRI 65 Jazzmaster and Jaguar just to complete the set.

DaphneStrat likes this.
  16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Congrats on that amazing guitar.

The trick with the split tuners is to stick the string in as far as you can and then create a bend in the string. For years I would just try to wind it without that kink and the loop would pop off.

The rule of thumb, as far as the switch, is do what you want but, keep original parts and make sure whoever does the work does good work. I do all my own work but, for an instrument like that, Id get a pro with a great rep so that everything is well done. Hope that makes sense and congrats!!!

17. DaphneStrat

DaphneStrat Strat-Talk Member

I'm nosey...any with a Surf Green finish?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  18. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

19. mikem4879

thanks Stevierayfan91 and amstratnut. I am liking it so far. I am really considering having the 5 way switch installed.

20. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

This thread makes you seem extremely punchable.