Join Strat-Talk Today

Matching single coil for PAF 36th Anniversary HSH

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Merglet, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Merglet

Merglet Strat-Talker

Hey guys, I've settled on replacing the blacktop pups in my Mexican Strat HSH with Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary pickups (DP103 in the neck, DP223 in the bridge), but now I'm wondering what I should replace the middle pickup with. Because the guitar comes with a push-pull pot for splitting the 'buckers, I figured I should get a regular (non-noiseless) single coil for the middle.

My initial thought was to get a noiseless Area 56 or 67 but after talking with a Dimarzio tech rep, working out splitting all three seems like a giant pain, so I'll just stick with how the guitar is set up already (unless someone else has a suggestion that would make putting an Area pup in the middle that makes sense)

Anyhow, thoughts? SSL-1? Fender fat 50? True Velvet Middle? I was initially going to stick with Dimarzio but I'm not a compete Dimarzio fanboy. I also don't have an unlimited budget so please don't suggest a $200+ boutique pup!

Really would appreciate the help!

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

FWIW, I used to have a HSH Dave Murray strat (DP100 / Fender Vintage 57 / DP103) and while I hardly used the middle single coil, it sounded fine paired with the other two. Also, it was wired with a simple 3-way switch which I quite liked.

Merglet likes this.
  3. Merglet

Merglet Strat-Talker

So the current equivalent is the Vintage 57/62?

4. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

I believe so.

Merglet likes this.
  5. Merglet

Merglet Strat-Talker

I'll add that to the list of options! Thanks for the help :)

sam_in_cali likes this.
  6. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-O-Master

If you want to buy a USA strat pickup, the Duncan SSL-2 is well suited for your middle pickup application.
    The regular SSL-2 as used for the neck position will be hum cancelling with the slug coils of the Dimarzio Humbuckers.
    You cold also choose SSL-1 which is very similar, but that has the vintage staggered poles which are undesirable for your application IMO.

Merglet and Seymour Duncan like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.