Join Strat-Talk Today

may i know which is your most confortable neck ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by drugo, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Strat-Talker

I have say that the chunk of wood on my 93 Strat Plus is my favorite or my guitar will bop me :confused:

2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i really like the large neck on a baja tele and the wide/thin on my prs is always like home.

but i really notice the radius and the frets over the neck shape for some reason.
    my fave is a 10" radius and monster sized stainless frets.

3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    For stock Fender models I really like the Classic 60s neck. Not Classic Player 60s, plain old Classic 60s. I have smallish hands and like bigger necks, which is what draws me to Gibson SGs and the Ritchie Kotzen Tele.

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Eric Johnson Strat. Soft fat V neck.

5. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

(Springy, 'V' shaped neck, rosewood fretboard)

Will Lefeurve and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  6. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

So hard to choose. I like variety:

Strat AV59 D profile. 7 1/4" radius, vintage frets, rolled edges.

'95 Plus, modern C. It lacks what I usually like about necks - the roller edge, but it’s not too hard either - but I' find it super comfortable nonetheless. I think the satin finish they were doing back then has a lot do to with it. And I also like the 9 1/2" radius and medium jumbo frets. go figure.

LP Classic with rolled edges is nice. It's slim, but reminds me of a flat, big-fretted version of the AV59 neck with full shoulders.

And I like a good soft V but the CP50s I have right now needs rolled edges, so I can't put that on the list yet. I either roll them (maple neck) or find a neck I like more and swap it out. It's a partscaster already so no big deal. Perhaps I'll grab an AO 50's neck.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    chrimturn likes this.
  7. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek Strat-Talk Member

New Strat Elite has a fuller C at the nut and then flattens to more of a modern C quickly and then to a D after the twelfth fret. I also prefer its wider nut size of 1.6875" as I grew up playing wider classical necks

8. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

A Gibson 175 and ...
    a very thick Warmoth that is most closely matched by their current "Boatneck", though they didn't have that name for it when I found it in 1995. I refer to it as a "baseball bat".

My most comfortable Fender neck is a V.

Silvercrow likes this.
  9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Yes. That is the most comfortable, fastest neck I’ve ever played on a Strat. The soft V is super comfortable and the low, fat frets make sliding (glissando) smooth and accurate.

After that is the one-piece maple neck on my 94 MIM Fender “Squier Series”. I don’t know what the profile is on it but it is extremely comfortable to play.

10. chrimturn

chrimturn Fire in the Wire

I am partial to the Modern C shape, 9.5 radius and medium jumbo frets on my American Standards.

I don’t know what the difference is between a “C” and “modern C”, but my American Special feels just slightly bigger. And I don’t really care for the Jumbos on it either.

11. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

My favorite neck is a Warmoth standard thin profile with compound radius, either satin finish (if maple) or no finish (if another wood that doesn't need one). On top I like stainless 6100 frets with a scalloped fretboard.

12. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

thats almost the same as the 59 roundback from warmoth. .860" and 1st fret.......960" at 12th fret.
    59Roundback.jpg

drugo likes this.
  13. DJGranite

DJGranite Strat-O-Master

Could you possibly mean "Thick"?
    When speaking of guitars, a "thick" neck would be fat and wide sometimes, depending on who is talking.

14. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

It’s the V for me. My fave guitar has Warmoth’s “Clapton” soft V profile.

Silvercrow likes this.
  15. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Strat-Talker

A437958F-4478-4CEA-A3FB-62A7463318A4.jpeg BD5E1E6C-D3F2-4153-92E4-B04750D119FB.jpeg I’ve got a new SGW ( Sound Guitar works) neck, 2 in fact, from the group of offshoot gies in the pacific north-west, SOFT V THAT DAN CAN GET YA ARE AWESONE!! A lot like the Eric Johnson feel thick but comfortable!!

Silvercrow likes this.
  16. Stark

Stark Still an idiot Strat-Talk Supporter

Mine is whatever Fender was bolting onto their ‘57 AVRIs in 1986.

(will post a pic after getting home from work)

17. Fender Fool

Fender Fool Strat-Talker

Certainly not my 2008 standard strat. To thin. but.. it sounds so darn good.

I have an '80 Lead II That's a great neck. The Professional Series...great neck also!

18. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

A couple years ago, when I was first back to playing again after many years away from it, I could have told you exactly what my favorite necks were and which I didn't like, based on looking at their specs. After a couple of years of trying a lot of necks, all I can tell you is I can play one and know pretty quickly whether it's gonna work for me or not. And I've found I like a lot of different types of necks and DISlike a number of different types of necks too. About the only thing I can say that's been consistently true is I've yet to find a Fender neck with a 12" fretboard radius that I like. I LOVE 12" fretboards on Gibson type guitars, but on Fenders, I'm absolutely fine with 9.5" or 7.25", but I've never played a 12" neck I've found even remotely tolerable. With everything else, it just comes down to the particular neck. Many I thought I'd like based on the specs, turned out I didn't like at all, and other similar necks by spec, I'd end up loving. And vice versa.

So, no, I can't!

-Ray

19. Relaxing at Cam

Relaxing at Cam Strat-Talker

Modern C 9.5 inch radius on my MIM Strat.

2nd most comfortable was a slightly wider at the nut J Mascis Jazzmaster I didn't buy.

20. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Slim and thin, vintage frets please.

I tolerate a wider Epi neck (and some wider Gibsons) because I like the model so much. And, not so long ago, I played acoustic exclusively for about 25 yrs.

Neck profIle doesn't bother me much. I think because I try to keep my thumb on the back of the neck. Every time I palm the neck I hear Ol' Mr Price. My banjo teacher. "If it were easy, there would be one on every street corner." Keeping my thumb on the back of the neck means I don't feel the profile much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.