Join Strat-Talk Today

Mellow Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lonn, Apr 15, 2019.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I own several 59 reissue Strats and the pickups in those(which you can buy separately as the pure vintage 59s)have the smoothest,'brownest' tone of all my Strats.In the bridge position the pickup is really smooth and musical.I own other Fender Strats with other pickups(57/62s,Fat 50s,Tex Mex,69s ect)but these are by far the mellowest ones in terms of EQ.

Belexes and kris ford like this.
  2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I like the Custom 69’s or CS 69’s for a really clean and clear Strat pickup.

I’ve got a set in my Classic Player 60’s and I’ve changed the tone cap to a 0.018uf cap. I’ve also moved the rear tone control to the bridge pickup. No tone control on the middle which makes it pretty strong so to balance, I’ve lowered it. They sound really clear and clean to my ears. The only thing missing is a RWRP but if I ordered them new, I could have that option.

I also did the 50’s Gibson tone Wiring. I prefer it on my guitars but that’s just me.

Yves likes this.
  3. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

I concur..I put a set in my '71' inspired build, and they ROCK!! Though they can get NASTY (in a good way!) thru a boosted Marshall. Excellent for hard rock..bridge nails Blackmore, neck is hollow and Trower like, neck is just stratty goodness.

Cap wise, I used a NOS .05 orange dime sized RMC cap, seems to work well with these.

sonny wolf and Belexes like this.
  4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

I can attest to this as well. Have had 57/62s, PV 65s, Fat 50s, various Duncans but these are some of the smoothest sounding single coil pickups I've heard, which I like.

sonny wolf, Belexes and kris ford like this.
  5. Soul31

Soul31 Strat-Talker

I've read that neck position Russian pickups actively try to steal your social security number. ;)

CyFan4036 likes this.
  6. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Mellow = turn tone knob counterclockwise. :)

Murphcaster likes this.
  7. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

That’s only if they’re active:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.