Join Strat-Talk Today

Metal.....eww

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dark13579, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Dark13579

Dark13579 Strat-Talker

So me and my friend got into a heated debate today over music. He is a metal fan who thinks metal is the best and does not think beyond power chords and tapping. I on the other hand think metal is just noise and am addicted to classic rock and blues ( HENDRIX, SRV, the doors, zeppelin, etc.). So what do you think? Give me your opinions.

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a flavor for it all for listening ... I love straight punk, rock, metal, funk, thrash, or classical ... certain screamo-singers in bands ruin the experience for me. You are also more likely to see this in a metal or punk band ...

3. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

Just about all styles of music have a lot going for them, including styles that I hate (various sorts of dance, some soul stuff for me). Different genres usually have a whole different set of rules of what counts as better and good, so sometimes you need to put some time into it to understand it. Personally I think it makes you a better musician if you have a broader understanding of different styles of music - but there are no hard and fast rules.

4. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I have respect for all genres of music. Not all artist but at least their genre.

For instance, I don't like rap but I have respect for someone like Lil' Wayne because he is one of the best at his type of music, (or so I'm told by my friend I don't listen to it).

So basically I feel that is far to close minded to say any type of music "sucks" in a blanket kind of way. One can just not care for that type of music. A lot of people don't like the music I make and I'm okay with that.

My $.02

5. esphanneman

esphanneman Strat-Talk Member

6. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Mod Admin

i call myself a blues player, the line from blues to rock is pretty clear. i can't get the hang of playing metal, but that happens to be my usual choice when i listen to cds. pantera, brujeria, and tool being three of my favorites. on the other hand, i have a lot of big band music in my cd collection, as well as hendrix, airplane, snoop, dre, emmylou harris, willie, and asleep at the wheel. i wish i had access to a good oldies station on the radio, but i guess ya can't have it all.
    that being said, i hate most country music. a lot of my friends call my taste in music pretty sick. least they don't borrow my cds.....

7. CHEEZFREEK57

CHEEZFREEK57 Strat-Talker

Personally I love listening to metal guitar, but I don't really like the screamo that usually goes along with it. Bullet for my Valentine is the only metal band I really listen to, mainly because the lead singer doesn't scream as much as some. There are a few bands I like that use alot of metal elements in their guitar parts, but their singers sound more punk. Bands like Letter Kills and Funeral for a Friend are two that come to mind.

8. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

i like metal quite a bit. my current favorite is Lamb Of God. Their drummer is AWESOME and the guitars dont slouch either. The vocals are a big draw for me too.
    But i like all types of stuff too, so go figure....

9. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't have a clue what 'Metal' or any of the other stuff that has names attached to it, is supposed to be. :confused:

It's just all music to me and like any music, we all have different likes and dislikes. Nothing is the best.

10. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

well stated sir. good observation.

11. DimesProdigy

DimesProdigy Strat-Talker

I myself am a big metal fan and that is mainly what I listen to, but I also like stuff like Hendrix, Clapton, Zepplin, etc... I definitely don't think there is a best type of music, its all in what interests you and what you like, to each their own, I don't disrespect any type of music.

12. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

also, as far as the first post, there is much more to metal than power chords and tapping.

13. j2b4osan

j2b4osan Strat-Talker

DETHKLOK RULES!!!!

14. LT5Mike

LT5Mike Strat-Talk Member

I grew up on Metal, but I love blues as well.

Iron Maiden is one of my all time favorites and some of the biggest Strat players in the world. In fact this year Fender is offering a Dave Murray Strat.

Dream Theater is probably my current favorite, and IMO John Petrucci is the best guitar player that is alive right now.

15. bowhunter

bowhunter Strat-O-Master

I agree 100%,,,,,,

16. barellano

barellano Senior Stratmaster

I would never argue that some metal musicians (especially drummers, IMO) aren't extremely talented at their respective craft. The music itself just doesn't do anything for me.

17. economike

economike Strat-Talker

I got into metal for a while in the 80's but the problem I had with it was I found the format too rigidly ritualistic. At some point in the show the singer had to get people to elicit some sort of stock response to a question like All right LA are you ready to Rock! or whatever. That being said I'll listen to anything by Ritchie Blackmore. I was at the auto wash the other day and somebody was playing the new Iron Maiden album and I really enjoyed it. I also really like Motorhead and Judas Priest.

18. Jake D

Jake D Strat-Talker

When I was young, I loved trash and metal. Antrax, Metallica, etc.

The better I got at playing guitar, the more my taste changed. When I was playing only acoustic guitar, I loved folk rock like Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, and then Dashboard (emo). When I got into electric guitar, the blues grabbed my attention 100% and hasn't let go. I think it is odd I've never had any interest in playing metal or tapping on the strings. I like bending them too much to tap on them!

I still enjoy my old trash collection from time to time though. Pantera and Rage Against the Machine are near the top of my iPod play list. But now I generally listen to and play the blues.

It is all good though. Except hip hop!

19. 67Strat

67Strat Strat-Talker

I like metal, not all off it, but I don't like everything of any style of music. My tastes tend to center around classic metal, Priest, Maiden etc.

20. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Music is music. I can go from Death, or even more extreme, Carcass to Billie Holiday and Glenn Miller instantly. I dig almost anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.