Join Strat-Talk Today

Metal.....eww

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dark13579, Jul 24, 2009.

1. WetSand

WetSand Strat-Talker

Shawty!

Raises pressure to breaking point...gotta love the word "shawty."

2. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

some cool posts. Love Machinehead.

(I liked Polarbears slight rant as well. :mrgreen: )

The sound of electric guitar just sounds cool to me, pretty much in any genre.

Lately I've been digging:

Mastodon Divinations Live at Aragon HD.wmv - YouTube

and...

Mastodon: Curl Of The Burl - YouTube

and when I really want to hear crazy fusion/metal/instrumental *****....

Blotted Science - Synaptic Plasticity - YouTube

I love how around the 3:00 mark it turns into the craziest jazz/fusion I've ever heard.

....oh yeah, it's "Thrash".....not "Trash." :mrgreen:

3. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

I don't even know why that is relevant, but its VERY funny. Ha ha
    It's so big he has to squint to see who he's doing at the other end of it.

4. stratomaster96

stratomaster96 Banned

Your friend is a wanker!

5. Hoob

Hoob Senior Stratmaster

I just can't do metal....I am a old soul, all the people my age (19) are way into screamo or metal. I can't do it man, it isn't in me to like or play metal. I generally resent things that scream at me lol.

6. stratomaster96

stratomaster96 Banned

Yeah man, there are not a lot of people my age who truly are blues/classic rock fans.

7. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

it's making a comeback (imo) because I think a lot of younger people are getting tired of generic screaming music that sounds like it was assembled with Pro-Tools.

Say what you will about old metal/classic rock. It sounds like it was written by a guy who sat down with his guitar and wrote a song. Not like someone cut/copy/pasted a bunch of riffs into the computer and just started assembling them.

8. blues dues

blues dues Senior Stratmaster

^^^ metals not my thing but I get people liking it.I agree with the above though about pro tools. Give me an analog board, tape & a guitar. Yeah it's old fashioned but it's visceral, real.

9. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The whole thing with metal is it's about feel. Some people say it has no feel; I used to say this myself. But a good friend of mine got me in to it and while I enjoy some metal, it's not a daily listening thing. I can do metal for a couple hours and then I'm good for a few days. You gotta be in the right frame of mind and mood to listen to it.

But going back to the feel of it... There is no feeling in the world like playing music. More so, there is no feeling in the world like playing heavy music. Roaring power chords and heavy handed chugging on a distorted guitar is a feeling paralleled to nothing. I love playing metal more than I enjoy listening to it because every nasty word I want to say to someone and every angry thought that I have can be expressed through an amalgamation of disgusting chord changes and distortion. I love it.

10. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

I guess I can understand the playing heavy part, but the way that so much of the metal I unfortunately come across is nothing but chugging. You can hardly even hear when they make a chord change.

I remember my friend was in a metal band... I went to one of his shows. They were pretty good, wrote complex stuff in all these weird time signatures so I had no idea what was going on. I remember when he told me how many times he screwed up and I was like... I don't think anyone noticed.

And honestly, how musical can it be, if a rooster can do a better job over it than the majority of people who cough up their vocal chords?

Death Metal Rooster - YouTube

The heaviest I'll go is something like breaking benjamin.. which I think is alt rock lol. I guess metal is just beyond my range of comprehension

11. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

ok............

that was just awesome.

I want ,....no NEED..THAT ROOSTER!!!

12. screamineagle

screamineagle Senior Stratmaster

Haha I love how the video stays perfectly accurate with the blast beat! Roosters are pretty badass!

13. LeftyBlake

I love death metal rooster. My rooster out back was crowing a single sound for 10 seconds the other day. I was hoping he would continue in death metal rooster's footsteps.

By the way, if you've never lived with a rooster, you don't want to. Some morning I want to kill that bastard.

14. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

If I lived next door to that it would be eaten very quickly. I hate roosters anyway. My neighbors down the street have chickens and they are constantly roaming around. I hate them.

15. LeftyBlake

Good thing you're not my neighbor. Our chickens roam everywhere, and the rooster crows all the time. He pisses me off sometimes :D

16. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

It's impressive how quickly they get out of the road when there is a car coming, I have never even touched my breaks when I see them, and I've never come close to them. I don't like them because they **** on my side walks and I have to clean it up. If I really lived out in the middle of nowhere I don't think it would bother me quite as much.

17. LeftyBlake

Where I live it's still pretty rural, so they don't really crap all over any areas where people walk. Ours tend to stay out of the road, too. As annoying as they are, farm fresh eggs are wonderful. Did you know a fresh egg has an orange yolk? Eggs you buy in the store are kept in refrigeration for an average of three months before they make it to the stores. To me, that's disgusting. I like walking outside and getting breakfast, for free.

And now back to the thread :D

18. GuitarAJ

GuitarAJ Most Honored Senior Member

^^
    Thank....you....for.....sharing that with us....:eek:

19. AWH-NJ

AWH-NJ Senior Stratmaster

First, it depends what you consider metal, or better yet, what type of metal we are discussing. If we are talking bands like Sabbath, classic Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, maybe throw in some Tool, Primus, or Faith no More for something different, and go as heavy as Pantera, Anthrax, and Slayer, I think these "classic" metal bands are far more musical than many of the run of the mill death-metal/dark-metal/post-hardcore/screamo - whatever you want to call it - metal bands of nowadays.

These bands I mention all used melodic passages in their riffing and soloing. The parts are well thought out. The songs are cleverly crafted. The vocals are fairly coherent (even with extreme examples like Slayer and Pantera), the lyrics meaningful.

If we are talking constant blast beats with mindless chug riffs, arpeggio sweeps, "random note" soloing, and vocals that sound like "blllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh - rowwwwww - rah - rowwww - rowwwwww - blaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh - ooooooooggggghhhhh" ..... well, I hate to sound like my dad but that isn't music it's noise! I think a lot of these bands just focus most of their practice time on getting faster but don't really take the time to develop a solid background as a musician. Those who do develop such background often gravitate to other styles outside of metal. Any good musician should be well rounded in at least a few different styles.

In turn, on one hand they do write some things that are fresh and new, but also they sometimes don't focus on creating melodies and hooks which would make their songs more distinct, thus "all the songs sound the same". I do believe a balance can be struct between musicality AND speed.

On a side note, I am a big fan of blues and classic rock myself. And there is nothing inherently wrong with power chords and tapping, but they get played out after awhile. Also it's kinda pointless to argue in a heated debate with your friend telling him your favorite music style is "better" than his. You're never going to convince him of that. It's like arguing politics with someone who supports a party opposing the party you support.

20. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

I need to try some fresh eggs... I used to eat store bought eggs all the time, but they really give me a stomach ache about a half hour later. I still eat them, since eggs are delicious (cheese, oregano, crushed red pepper, chili powder) but not as frequently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.