Mexican Tele Neck Pocket Gap

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Saberslash12345, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Saberslash12345

Saberslash12345 Strat-Talk Member

Hello, first time Tele owner here, I got Player Series MIM Tele(played mostly Strats and LP before), and I see there is gap on neck pocket, on E bass side.. Is this considered bad, faulty, etc etc? Overall guitar plays great, I got it set up after purchase and it is really awesome, just wondering is this gap between body and neck are bad/faulty or I should live with that.

String spacing is perfect, both E strings are nicely positioned, not falling of fingerboard, really satisfied how all is set up)

(And btw I am from Europe, it is summer here, hopefully it won't get bigger when winter comes around)
    tele11.jpeg tele12.jpeg tele13.jpeg

2. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t consider that a gap.

Willmunny and henderman like this.
  3. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

it looks good to me and i am beyond picky.

4. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

If you want tight neck pockets build them yourself.

That being said, that pocket is fine, some of the best strats I've ever played have had credit card size pocket gaps

5. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Both the neck and the pocket have a manufacturing tolerance. What you're seeing is within tolerances (probably). What you have is a (relatively) low price mass produced unit. The tolerances on the neck and pocket should be pretty good (they're both made by CNC machines these days, after all), but none the less, unless someone is given the time to match thicker necks to larger pockets (or narrower necks to smaller pockets), most of the time you'll end up with a visible gap.

As I said, it's probably within tolerances, and for the price of a Player vs. any of the American made, that's what you're going to get.

6. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I would think it's less likely to finish crack

7. Saberslash12345

Saberslash12345 Strat-Talk Member

UPDATE:
    I got update from Fender customer support, they said if I could fit quarter of USD coin, which has thicknes of 1.69mm inside neck pocket gap, then they consider guitar defective.. I tried with 1.14mm, 1.0mm and even 0.60mm and none will fit, so looks like I am far from defective by factory specs :D

Bob the builder, Black59 and vid1900 like this.
  8. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

No worries, It won’t get bigger with weather changes

Saberslash12345 likes this.