MIA Strat at goodwill

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
For your viewing pleasure

What do ya think?

I’ve picked up some household goods from goodwill auctions but never a guitar, and never spent more then $50 bucks

If it were local I would go check it out, but since it’s a no return policy auction I’ll pass. Plus it’s across the northern boarder. Have not looked up the serial number

There’s also a made in Mexico strat as well as a bunch of lower end Squier’s

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now

What do ya think?

I’ve picked up some household goods from goodwill auctions but never a guitar, and never spent more then $50 bucks

If it were local I would go check it out, but since it’s a no return policy auction I’ll pass. Plus it’s across the northern boarder. Have not looked up the serial number

I think the current price is a decent price for a vintage Strat Plus.

Is that in CAD?

stormsedge

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 7, 2012
East Tennessee, USA
The Goodwill auctions of "desirable" items such as this are closely watched. You'll see the bids ramp up as the clock winds down. There are a couple of similar guitars on Reverb...which appear equipped much the same as the one you are looking at, but I was unable to spec it on the Fender site (although the site recognized the serial #). Like you, a no return auction would turn me away.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Is it USD?

It's in Canada (about 90 mins from me) but I'm not seeing what currency it is.

Edit. Had to open the more info. Yes, it's USD.
Yep... Item is located in Canada, but the Goodwill site uses only USD for listings.

That's not a bad price if it were CDN.

DanielB

Strat-Talker
Sep 5, 2020
Detroit, MI
Wow, you are posting this on a site with so many of us who suffer from guitar acquisition syndrome!😄 Fortunately I am a lefty and there was only 1 left handed guitar on this site, a Davison for $ 9.99. (Although for a price like that its awfully tempting). Seriously though I know people who have bought guitars from Goodwill if you are there at the right place and time you might be able to get a good deal. I did see, like you, a number of Squiers on this site, so if anyone is interested, they might want to take a look.at this site. Thanks for sharing (although now there's another site I will be browsing for axes!(

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA

What do ya think?

Dime a dozen, at shop Goodwill. You see then all the time. Or I did when I browsed there previously.

And every time, they get overbid big time. People bid way more than they're worth. And not just on guitars. Pretty much anything name brand. It's as if they bid without know what the going rate is for said object. So instead of bidding market value, they bid what they're willing to pay, which is uaully pretty far over market value.

I only go there for off brand stuff. I got my 2nd Silvertone guitar for $25 there. Just a month or 2 prior, I paid $150 for the same model guitar that was brand new.

I also picked up a Mustang II amp for about $40 - 50 with shipping. These are regularly for sale for $80+. Then I got an 80s Crybaby Wah pedal for $50, which is probably going rate?

That's the sort of stuff I go there for. I learned long ago not to waste time on anything Fender/Gibson/Boss, etc...

Last edited:

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
My experience bidding at Goodwill is that even decent second-tier guitars seem to go for more than what I think they are worth. I’ll think I’m gonna win for a day or two, then, a rush of late bids push the price above what I’m willing to spend. Silver lining; I can still say that in 61 years walking this giant orb, I’ve still never bought a guitar online or by mail.

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
Dime a dozen, at shop Goodwill. You see then all the time. Or I did when I browsed there previously.

And every time, they get overbid big time. People bid way more than they're worth. And not just on guitars. Pretty much anything name brand. It's as if they bid without know what the going rate is for said object. So instead of bidding market value, they bid what they're willing to pay, which is uaully pretty far over market value.

I only go there for off brand stuff. I got my 2nd Silvertone guitar for $25 there. Just a month or 2 prior, I paid $150 for the same model guitar that was brand new.

I also picked up a Mustang II amp for about $40 - 50 with shipping. These are regularly for sale for $80+. Then I got an 80s Crybaby Wah pedal for $50, which is probably going rate?

That's the sort of stuff I go there for. I learned long ago not to waste time on anything Fender/Gibson/Boss, etc...
Spot on. I’ve placed bids on several non-guitar related items and most of the time they sold for more then I was willing to pay. Then add on shipping and handling and it came out to as much or more then the item would have vcost new.

The best deal I got was on a pair of $100 Bose multi media speakers for around $30.

I do like to take my 5 year old to the brick and mortar locations. We can often walk out of there with a few hammy-down toys for pennies on the dollar. Recently got her a Casio keyboard for cheap. She loves it. But more importantly, she/we have a blast playing with, and rummaging through the offerings

Never saw a high end guitar, yet....

Last edited:

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
My experience bidding at Goodwill is that even decent second-tier guitars seem to go for more than what I think they are worth. I’ll think I’m gonna win for a day or two, then, a rush of late bids push the price above what I’m willing to spend. Silver lining; I can still say that in 61 years walking this giant orb, I’ve still never bought a guitar online or by mail.
Out of the 8 guitars I have all but one (my 1980 Strat) was purchased sight unseen. All are amazing. You might think I got lucky, but truth be told, for every guitar I have I’ve sent one back because it was a dud, or did not live up to expectations.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
Yuck. Blacked out tummy tuck.

Strat Plus Deluxes had ash veneers on the front and back of alder bodies so they all have that darker back contour. It's less noticeable on other colors like the blue and red burst colors.