Join Strat-Talk Today

Mid 90s fender strat electronics

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bradatkins, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Bradatkins

Bradatkins Strat-Talk Member

Did fender use bar magnets and alpha pots on their made in Mexico strats in 1994?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    There was more than one type of MIM Strat in 94. On the MIM STANDARD, yes, bar magnets on the ceramic pickups. On others like the Classic Series 60s, no, they got alnico.

Can't help you on the pots, but someone here will know.

Nate D and Guitarmageddon like this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Did you buy a guitar and want to know if it's stock? Can you show us photos?

bar magnets were on ALL Mexico Fender Standard Strats from the beginning until the Player Series took over in 2018/19......

CTS pots were used from 2006 and onward......

You might see mini pots on a Fender Mexico Squier Series, a Mexico Squier, or a Fender Mexico Traditional strat.....

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Bradatkins

Hey,

I’ve got made in Mexico strat when I put the serial number into a decoder it’s says it’s from 1994 but when I looked on the fender website it didn’t recognise the serial number.

the electronics are bar magnets and alpha pots vary similar to what’s in my squire and wondered if it was a fender neck on a squire body or if older Mexico strats did in fact

Here are some photos of the headstock and electronics

have this kind of wiring [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The neck is definitely an MIM standard not a traditional or Squier the rest looks okay to me but others may know more about the electronics

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

My 95 standard had 2 bar ceramic pickups, US style open frame switch, full size 250k pots and tones on bridge and middle only. I don't remember what make the switch or pots were though.

7. robistro

robistro Strat-Talk Member

I've had this issue with the fender website too. It seems for some reason you need to register the guitar, then in a day or two when you type the number back into the website the guitar shows up. Kind of useless to me.

Just email Fender customer service the serial number. Or call them. They've sent me specs back within a day. Sometimes within a couple hours.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8. Bradatkins

Hey buddy,
    I’ve done what you said and emailed them they came back to me saying that the serial number doesn’t match anything they have on their system

9. Guitarmageddon

Those are not the right pots or switch for a 1994 Mexico Standard Strat

Elvie, vlxerdon and Bradatkins like this.
  10. Bradatkins

Okay thank you for the confirmation. It must be a fender neck on a squire body as I thought.

I posted about these electronics a few days ago because I was confused about it as my squire seemed to have better electronics in it.

For the past few days I’ve been on here and on google look I for answers to my confusion glad to finally get to the bottom of it

11. Guitarmageddon

Those aren't Squier pickups though, they are the RIGHT pickups.....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

The bridge pickup is backasswards...

13. Bradatkins

Now I’m more confused why would it have the right body, neck, bridge and pickups and only the pots and switches be wrong...

I brought it second hand but the seller said it’s all original and When I first got it I wasn’t comfortable taking it apart nor do I have the knowledge to confirm all of it that’s why I’m here now

You guys are being a great help though thank you

14. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Do you have any pics of the pickup cavities and the body contours? Especially looking from the top down for the body contours. Those electronics and p'ups look like they came out of a black label Fender Squier Series, which is a Fender and not a Squier BTW. If I csn see tge pickup routes and contours I can more tgan likely tell you if the body is a Squier Series with a Standard neck paired to it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  15. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Fender's database of serial numbers doesn't even start for USA models until say mid-1993 and it's pretty spotty until say 1995 so it doesn't surprise me that a 1994 MIM wouldn't be found (even though MIM serial numbers essentially run from mid-year to mid-year).

As to why this one shows up with different switches and pots I can't help you; it doesn't make a lot of sense outside of them being kind of scattered in those early years in Ensenada as they were getting everything up to speed down there.

16. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I agree, that looks an awful lot like the OEM pickups, controls and wiring on my 94 Squier Series (Fender not Squier) Stratocaster. The bridge pickup looks like someone put it in backwards. As @Believer7713 suggested, a few additional photos might give us more info. Stamps and writing in the body, neck pocket etc can be quite helpful.

17. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Pickguard swap?

If @Guitarmageddon says those are the right pickups for the guitar, that's good enough for me. And when he says it's not the right pots & switch, that's also good enough for me.

That looks like an Asian switch, v. similar to what's in my Squiers. And dime-size 500k pots, also very Squier-like. And somebody has had at least the bridge pickup out; it's installed backwards. It's very unlikely it left any factory that way.

Please post pics of the pickup routing area, perhaps we can identify whether the body is MIM or not.

18. Bradatkins

Here are some pictures of the body when it was taken apart hope these can help

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Is that a date stamp in the neck heel, It looks like it says May 31 20xx but I can't make it out on my small screen.

20. Bradatkins

Yes it is it’s hard to make out in person as it’s rubbed off but it could be anything between 2000 - 2009 written on there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.