Middle Pickup for Ibanez RG - HSH config

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Mind Flayer, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

I'm going to be putting in a Duncan JB (bridge) and Duncan 59 (neck) in my Ibanez RG 470AH, which is also routed for a middle single coil pickup. I'll be using 500k pots and a 5-way switch using the standard Ibanez switching configuration.

Does anybody know what middle pickup would go well with these two humbuckers? I'll use the bridge for more high gain stuff, so I'd like to have something in the neck that can give more of a vintage strat middle coil sound. Also, do I have to worry about polarity of the middle pickup?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Yes, if your bridge pickup and neck pickup are both Seymour Duncan, you will need an RWRP Seymour Duncan middle pickup or else you will have hum in positions 2 and 4 with the bridge or neck and middle engaged....or you could get a Duncan or Dimarzio noiseless/stack single coil and have no hum anywhere....

3. Mind Flayer

Thanks -- any thoughts on what might be a good choice in terms of Duncan RWRP middle pickups to go with those two humbuckers?

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Well, if you go with a vintage output single coil, you will have a volume drop....and you can't really put an alnico single coil super close to strings to help volume since it has so much magnetic pull.....

I can't recommend a pickup specifically, because so many people have different tastes....are you looking for a guitar to do like Hard rock and metal AND vintage tones? That might be tough....

5. Mind Flayer

Yeah, I guess it doesn't have to be a vintage output single coil per se, just something more in that ballpark than, say, a single-coil sized humbucker. Just something that can get that in that single coil sound ballpark

6. 98springer

98springer Strat-Talker

I have an RG350 that I put a Dimarzio John Petrucci set of humbuckers in. I left the original Ibanez single coil pickup in the middle because I couldn't decide what else to put there and I was planning to just use the neck and/or bridge pickup anyway but it sounds really sweet in positions 2 and 4. Stratty and ballsy. I was pleasantly surprised. My only complaint with the JP set is that they haven't helped me play like him.
    I wasn't really looking for something super hot but the description for the pickups had the word "percussive" and who among us doesn't like to percuss?

When you order the Duncans, get the "Trembucker" spacing for the bridge pickup so that the polepieces line up with the strings. I'd leave the Ibanez pickup in there for now and you'll have a better idea of what you want in the middle.