Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Mighty Mite Seafoam Green?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by nadzab, Jan 13, 2011.

1. nadzab

nadzab Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Anyone own a Seafoam Green Mighty Mite Body? And if so, how do you like the color? I'm probably going to pick one up for a partscaster project, and would like to hear any thoughts people have on MM's rendering of Seafoam.

2. a2music

a2music New Member!

Feb 9, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I just got one today. It's very nice! I'm a big fan of the Mighty Mite bodies. The paint job is solid and the color looks comparable to Fender. Good wood, too. It weighs like a Fender.

3. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    Mine is very nice, super paint job, i throw mine around like a stole it and there isn't a ding on there yet.

4. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    Seafoam, Daphne, and Sunburst are the colors on my want-to-own-someday list!

5. Kanegon

Kanegon Strat-O-Master

Sep 22, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Geee, are we ever going to get a glimpse of what you're talking about? Naked or otherwise, especially the neck pocket. Also, how do you plan on drilling the trem screws, won't you need a drill press or something to make sure they're perfectly perpendicular? Just curious.

6. nadzab

Happy to oblige. Here's the body...it is slightly more green and less blue than the pic would have you believe, that's just how the pictures have been coming out. Mint green pickguard, aged white covers & knobs:

[​IMG]

Here's the Callaham trem that just showed up this week. I'll be installing it this weekend:

[​IMG]

I have a drill press, but there isn't enough clearance to bring the bridge area under the chuck; so I bought a drill guide, to ensure that the holes for the mounting screws are dead straight.

The neck pocket was the roughest part of the body, otherwise the body's very nice. When dropped in, the holes in the '60s Classic neck did not line up with the pre-drilled holes in the neck pocket, and I was prepared to dowel and re-drill the body; but after taking initial measurements for the bridge mounting holes, I decided to route the pocket back (only about 1/32"), and then the existing holes in the pocket were just fine. Depth seems fine, but I won't know for sure until I get the trem installed and string it up this weekend. I had to sand and touch up the edge of the pocket, it was a bit ragged - since this picture was taken, I've mixed up some paint that's a slightly better match:

[​IMG]

A couple more pics. The tuners are Gotoh vintage-style:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 24, 2010
    Avondale
    sexy :)

---

8. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    That is looking sweet bro, I am jealous, I was going to go this route on the build I am doing, but with a maple neck. But, I have a new direction I am going the body I ordered should be here in a few days. I am stoked.

9. Kanegon

Kanegon Strat-O-Master

Sep 22, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Thank you! (pant pant) The business with the neck is rather shocking. I wouldn't have expected that from MM. Guess it's dead-on now, since the guard fits. I picked up the perfect MIJ mate for my MIJ neck a few weeks back and couldn't be happier. It's just like working on Japanese bicycles, everything fits perfectly. I barely had to adjust the saddles though it was a total body transplant. I couldn't agree more with your color choices, you obviously have excellent taste! Here's my Daphne-Sonic.

[​IMG]

10. nadzab

Thanks to all for the nice comments, I'm pretty psyched about this build.

Kanegon, that's a great looking Strat as well!

11. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Love sea-foam. In the Galaxy of Strats book, it is divided by colour, and some of the seafoam vintage guitars don't look green anymore!!!

12. Kanegon

Kanegon Strat-O-Master

Sep 22, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I am slso interested in the drill guide you're using for the trem mount screws. Do you use a hand drill with it? I've got a Cally in mine as well but I found that the screws it came with were longer than my MIJ's and I had to nip the tips off to keep them from poking thru. Please keep us posted on your progress!

13. Canterbury

Canterbury Strat-Talk Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Bethany, OK
    I really dig that color. My next strat will be along those same lines, surf green/seafoam/daphne.

14. daniboy79

daniboy79 Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2009
    Trinidad, West Indies
    it's done, I've made up my mind, now I want my next Strat to be exactly like this!:oops:

15. nadzab

It does use a hand drill, and has a fitting with a chuck that rides up and down two parallel posts. I'll take some pics when I'm doing the install on Saturday, but in the meantime, Google "drill guide" for images, and you'll see what I mean.

16. nadzab

Progress Pics

Finished everything but the electronics today. Strung 'er up to check the trem and overall playability, and I have to say, she's fantastic. And once again I'm amazed by the smoothness of the Callaham Trem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. nadzab

More Progress Pics

Everything ended up fitting like a glove. The only holes that came pre-drilled in the body were the neck mounting holes (which I opened up to 11/64") so I was able to get everything positioned just right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the drill guide, worked well. And bench cookies, another essential tool, IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. nadzab

Finished!

Completed her today...I ended up using the pickups that I took out of my Classic '70s Strat - I had planned on them just being placeholders until I decided what to install permanently, but I think they sound great in this guitar, so they're staying.

The video is just three minutes of me noodling...running through the pickups first with no effects, then adding some gain, then some more gain...then some compression & delay with the gain dialed down. Amp is a 2x12 Hot Rod DeVille with a Digitech RP-500 in front. Terrible lighting, but it will give you a sense of how she sounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

YouTube - Surf Green Strat.wmv

19. Roadstar07

Roadstar07 Banned

Oct 19, 2010
    Place
    This thread totally inspired me. Just ordered my Mighty Mite Seafoam green body today. Yahhhooo!!!

20. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
    SEE! Seafoam green turns blue on some cameras! I told you guys -_-