Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

MIJ Contemporary Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by 7thSenpai, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Any parts you might need to make it complete can be found at Wammiworld.com. I had to buy a few pieces from them on my current one.

nozi likes this.

2. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2011
    mission viejo, ca
    I built my girlfriends son a custom contemporary strat, he is 21 and a great guitarist with crappy guitars, he comes over and I have 43 guitars and a studio and he is in heaven. He told me what his dream guitar was so I built it but instead of a floyd I built a system 1 contemporary.
    I picked up a 1985 squier contemporary for 220.00 on CL but it had a rosewood 21 fret neck, the body is so resonant and has an ash grain I'm thinking it might be sen ash, The neck is an all parts 22 fret with 12" radius and jumbo frets,gotah tuners,black tusq nut, I routed the body it was supposed to be HH but I had some parts sitting around so I did an HSH for versitility, neck humbucker is a tonerider ac-2 OEM, middle is a tonerider city limits and the bridge is a GFS fat pat, mallory treble bleed capacitor,whammi world aluminum locking nut. Cut the PG to fit the system 1, His favorite guitar of mine is an ash bodied, 85 contemporary strat maple neck and big apple strat loaded PG partscaster, we plugged them in back to back and this guitar even sounds better and plays just as good if not better. One of the best partscasters I have ever built, The Fat Pat is a killer HB on a strat, sounds just as clear as a pearly gates plus but with more balls but cleans up nice unlike a JB and cheap. I told him if he makes it big one day he can buy me a ferrari......The kid is in heaven and just got picked up by a Iron Maiden tribute band that is a really good paying gig after they saw his video playing that guitar.........

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. htwheelz67

htwheelz67 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 24, 2011
    mission viejo, ca
    here is the video the day I gave him his guitar, his brother played drums but is a great guitarist too, recorded with an I phone,

MagnusR, bloomz, nozi and 1 other person like this.

4. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 17, 2012
    yer mom's house
    OMG - I had to do that as well, luckily only one of them, and just figuring it out took me a half hour. Fishing it out you're right was not particularly what I call fun.

But these whammy bridges are a piece of work, ain't they? And that saying it gently. I wrote a post here on just changing strings on mine.
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/good-grief-stringing-a-contemporary-strat-system-3-trem.292098/

Engineering city and functional city. Someone said in that thread that it took a diabolical mind to come up with that trem - lol

5. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

I can't think of any reason it would be a good idea to swap a System 1 tremolo out...! If you want to dive bomb they just don't do that well, but other than some Floyds and Kahlers not much does. The System 1 is as good as any tremolo I have tried, and better than many. They don't suck tone (some Kahlers models come to mind), are very smooth to use (unlike say a TremKing), are not as bulky as say a Bigsby (or some Super Vee, etc) and the overall tone and ease of use is as good as any 2 post style tremolo. A well set up six screw vintage style tremolo is OK if you use it for the occasional warble, and it "looks the goods" to some people. Just like the original Fender style tremolo the design of the System 1 is an ingenious mixture of simplicity with purpose but the System 1s performance parameters exceed the Fender 6 screw original 2 or 3 to 1. There are Schaller, Super Vee, Hipshot, Strandberg, and Wilkinson tremolos that are as good (and some look aesthetically better) but none that work better IMHO.

bloomz, kchurch and nozi like this.

6. Marbles

Marbles New Member!

Aug 1, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Hi, was going to piece one of these together TOO. Do you happen to know the heel cup dimensions? Thanks!

7. thomaswayne

thomaswayne Strat-Talk Member

Apr 19, 2013
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Hey all! Just getting back into the guitar game again. First purchase is a '85 Contemporary Strat w/system iii trem system. Whoever owned it before didn't know how to care for a guitar and didn't do any research to do things right on it. The bridge is screwed to the body! Makes me sick just thinking about it. The locking nut was replaced by some sort of rolling nut I haven't seen before. the whole trem system is filled with gunk and yuck, and there are stickers plastered all over it. So I'm excited to get my hands on it to clean it up and restore it to its former beauty. This is an all black guitar which is pretty sexy, but I think i'll add a splash of contrast with a black white black pick guard. Maybe a couple other small changes but take the stickers off, soak the bridge in WD40 for a while, clean up the neck, clean up the soldering in the cavity, then wail on it!

It has been fun to research these guitars online. They seem to be a diamond in the rough that most people don't know about. Heck, I didn't know about them until I ran across this one in the local pawn shop. The hum bucker in the bridge looked like a little different style hum bucker and the controls looked stock, but different. Then I turned the Tone knob and it had a detent in the middle. That was when I figured it was really different. If it had a stock stacked tone knob, then I knew they had lots of things shoved into this thing, not to mention the wonky trem. So I have googled this setup almost every day trying to come up with more information so I know how to care for this thing when I get my hands on it. I'm excited to be in the club of Contemporary Strat Owners!

I'll include some pics of it when I get my hot little hands on it.

kchurch and albala like this.

8. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

Congrats on getting hold of a vey interesting guitar ;) It sounds like you have some work ahead of you :eek: You may find the attached useful :whistling: feel free to reach out if there is anything we can help you with.

Attached Files:

9. thomaswayne

Apr 19, 2013
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Thanks for those! That's more info than I've found on the entire inter webs!

I'm excited for a new project and a different trem system. I'll honestly mostly use it as a hard tail thanks to the locking portion of it, but it's still a unique feature.

muso.greg likes this.

10. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

You're welcome. If you like technical reading you can actually find the patent for the Fender System 3 tremolo online! Look for patent # 4677891 filed January 31 1985. Invented by Charles Gressett, John Page and others.

bloomz likes this.

11. thomaswayne

Apr 19, 2013
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Wow! I'm more of a nerd than I thought. My eyes lit up a little too much when I saw that patent number. Oh well. There are worse things to get excited about.

12. thomaswayne

Apr 19, 2013
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Hey, would you happen to have pages 4 and 5 of that System III document? The other pages are great, but I can't help but think that the information on those missing pages would be nice to have as well.

13. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

They cover the locking nut...

Attached Files:

14. thomaswayne

Apr 19, 2013
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Has anyone done the Dan Armstrong mod on one of these puppies? I was thinking it would be pretty groovy to blend in the neck and bridge pickup together, especially in series. Talk about super crunch on a strat! I have the 27-5700 model, which only has two knobs. I was considering replacing the volume knob with a concentric pot. That way I could have the volume as one pot and the blend knob as the other.

Any thoughts on this?

15. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

Do you mean the mod with the switches for the extra pup options...? I believe Dan Armstrong actually developed quite a few different mods (and others have expanded on them since!).
    [​IMG]

16. ericono

ericono New Member!

Dec 10, 2015
    SC
    Nice looking guitars. Very cool that you have the one you bought originally.

I had a question for you. You mention they are C-serial numbers. I have a C-serial number Contemporary Strat as well (single pickup) and was wondering if you could tell me any more about what the C-serial number means. The E-serial numbers seem to be more common.

Thanks,

Eric

17. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

I actually really, really like using the System 3 trems but I agree... the re-stringing is very (very!!) tedious!! But when they are set up well to lock/unlock they are a really nice trem to use and they have the ability to lock down if you want to use an altered tuning (or break a string). Small needle point pliers make it easier to string (but I would still not say it is easy lol!) and I don't change strings any more than I need to (6 months or 60 hours use - which ever comes first), so... I can live with it.

bloomz likes this.

18. thomaswayne

Apr 19, 2013
    Idaho Falls, ID

Hey, Muso. I was referring to the blend mod where one tone control will put the neck and middle pickups in series with the bridge pickup as explained here:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/31288275-strat-wiring-option

I have used a Def Eddie Fat-o-caster switch on a previous Strat and really enjoyed the extra tones, but I'm curious about using a concentric pot to do the Dan Armstrong blend mod.

19. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

Thomas, I think I know what you mean but I have only ever seen it done using the standard (3) pots ie not using a concentric pot.
    When the fader pot is full-up, everything is as usual. When it's turned down, the results are:

First position (neck pickup only). The middle pickup is added to the neck pickup in series.
    Second position (neck and middle pickups in parallel). The neck pickup fades out while the bridge pickup fades in--still in parallel, but out of phase with the middle pickup. This allows for varying degrees of "out-of-phaseness".
    Third position. This one isn't affected by the fader, and remains middle pickup only.
    Fourth position (middle and bridge pickups in parallel). This becomes a combination of middle and neck pickups out of phase, in parallel.
    Fifth position (bridge pickup alone). This becomes a combination of the middle and bridge pickups in series.

It is somewhat similar in concept to the Peavey T60 standard wiring of converting a humbucker to a single coil using the tone pot. I have tried the above Armstrong mod and it didn't suit my taste, and I didn't find a use for the out of phase tones. I prefer my humbuckers/series pups at the bridge end and I prefer a master volume, master tone setup.
    I have the option with the 3 x 3 way switches on mine of tapped pup (vintage cleans) and open pups (think modern Strat) and 'off'. If I want more mids I use the non-tapped pup option and roll the volume back a little if I need to, but all 11 selection options are in parallel ie I can get the first and fifth options above in parallel only. No true 'out of phase' options, just the usual Strat pseudo 'out of phase'. If I wanted a humbucker I would just replace the bridge pup with a splitable humbucker (but I usually wire that as single coil/parallel anyway!). I have the luxury of using more than 1 guitar so I grab something else if I want a thick series humbucker tone (or I use effects for a single guitar gig).

Have fun with it :) I enjoyed the experimenting. I like the Deaf Eddie mods too but I've ended up with a simpler setup that works for me. I hope you find the same.

bloomz likes this.